Get HuskerMaxô on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Virtual wall

Oh my!

Virtual wall

I don't know if this has been posted or not here, but I thought it was worth sharing.
    The site has a list of the 50 states and when you click on a state it opens to a page with cities in the state and the names will appear for each city. Then click on the names, if there is a picture, it will show you a picture of the person and at minimum their bio and medals.
    I hope that everyone who visits this site appreciates those who served in Vietnam and what they sacrificed for our country.
    http://www.virtualwall.org/iStates.htm

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Red Shirt
    Very interesting and sad. I went to my hometown and there was one person. Died when his helicopter got struck by a RPG and crashed. From the description it sounds like no effort was made to recover remains as witness saw no survivors and surveillance of the crash site saw no signs of survivors or remains. So sad.
    The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it. ~Patrick Young

Junior Varsity
    Thanks for posting this. One of my buddies from Scottsbluff died there from "friendly" fire, and although I was so sad when visiting the Wall in DC, I'm glad I did, and I feel the same today after reading about him here. Helps keep the memory alive.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by skernado View Post
    Very interesting and sad. I went to my hometown and there was one person. Died when his helicopter got struck by a RPG and crashed. From the description it sounds like no effort was made to recover remains as witness saw no survivors and surveillance of the crash site saw no signs of survivors or remains. So sad.
    folks are still in Vietnam searching for remains of service members.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer View Post
    yep...they just opened 3 new sites for excavation that were restricted.
    They also exchanges U.S Vets letters and the US gave back a diary....
    they are hoping to find at least 600 remains in the area that has been opened.

Brig em home!!!

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    yep...they just opened 3 new sites for excavation that were restricted.
    They also exchanges U.S Vets letters and the US gave back a diary....
    they are hoping to find at least 600 remains in the area that has been opened.

Brig em home!!!
    I just saw the article, Pops. At least we are still looking; hope we never stop.
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120604/D9V6DR300.html

Military officers briefing Panetta at the command's office said they had five to seven years to complete their excavation work. The acidic soil in Vietnam erodes bones quickly, leaving in many cases only teeth for the military teams to use to try and identify service members, one of the team members said.
    In addition, many of the potential witnesses with information about remains are getting older and their memories are fading.
    There are about nearly 1,300 cases that are still unaccounted for, and officers briefing Panetta said about 600 of those remains could be recoverable.
    Ward said that opening the three new sites will enable the U.S. to try and find:
    -- Two Air Force members who were lost when their plane was shot down in Quang Binh Province in central Vietnam in 1967.
    -- An Army private first class who went missing when he was out with his unit on a search-and-destroy mission in 1968 in the tri-border area of Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.
    -- A Marine who was on a surface-to-air combat mission and was lost when his plane went down in Quang Tri Province. Another Marine on the plane ejected and was rescued.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer View Post
    I am aware of this. I guess my use of sad was a mix of it actually made me sad reading the account of the soldier and how he died and disappointment that it seemed little or no effort was made to bring any remains home for proper burial and for better/any closure for the family.
    The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it. ~Patrick Young

Red Shirt
    Pops and CT. Agreed. Every service member should be brought home. Some may never but that shouldn't mean the search ends.

Thanks for your service.