Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: The new guys are arriving in Lincoln

The new guys are arriving in Lincoln

Michael Rose will be in Lincoln by tonight, Westerkamp got here last night and Vincent Valentine will be here tomorrow

Tommy Armstrong Jr. be here on Sunday

LeRoy Alexander is on his way right now

Blackshirt
    Won't be long and we can field a pickup game. GBR!
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

Husker Immortal
    Time for them to get to work. Some will be counted on in about 3 months.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do…
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    Time for them to get to work. Some will be counted on in about 3 months.
    No time to unpack? Man you're tough. Bo's got nothing on you.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    No time to unpack? Man you're tough. Bo's got nothing on you.
    Let their personal valets handle that. These guys need to be off to the weight room.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do…
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Big Red Fan!!!

How exciting for them! Best of luck guys! GBR

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFanz View Post
    How exciting for them! Best of luck guys! GBR
    Exciting for them? who cares I'm excited... Lets hope these guys are as hungry for a championship as we fans are.

And Brown, July 8 th

So its official then? Q that is?

Quote Originally Posted by 215Husker View Post
    And Brown, July 8 th
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Red Shirt

They are all in for a whirlwind. I remember my first days at college for football (albeit a small college)...I was homesick as heck and it took me about a year to adjust. So hopefully these guys have a smooth transition.

In the past few seasons it was very important for the recruits to hit the ground running and participating in the seven on sevens conducted by the few veteran players. There were serious opportunities for the youngsters to play early. Things have slowly got back to a more normal situation and this year we see upperclassmen and veteran starters at all positions. This helps the recruits in picking up techniques and the play book. It also takes some pressure off, as they see physically mature and confident players in their way to the top of the food chain. Redshirting most likely for many and a chance to get their feet on the ground.

Bo has said if it were up to him that he wouldn't have freshmen recruits eligible to participate. The same could be said about Osborne in his day as the head coach. There are always some players that have that mental and physical maturity. They have a great grasp of fundamentals and find their way to playing early. Westerkamp may be one of those. It was always a rarity to see many be that player over the decades. It was only out of need that we have seen so many lately. After watching this program since the early sixties I see more of the old system being implemented since Osborne returned to the AD position. Playing no player before he is absolutely ready with all the bugs removed from his game was always a strong suit for Osborne's teams. He built players and that created natural depth for those times that attrition caused gaps. He was never rapped up in the star system but was that teacher that built players to fit the system. Getting the walkon program back is how a Nebraska can overachieve.

Nebraska has come a long way. It is that national brand now that can compete for big time talent, but it has a mature system that has been revived that fills gaps when needed. It creates a situation that brings veteran teams to the championship level on a consistent basis. Veteran teams play well on the road and have fewer letdowns. They avoid trap games and keep on an even keel. In a league such as the Big 10 that is very important with the yearly brutal schedule. It's good to get them here early, but not as imperative as it was the past couple of seasons. There will be those special players that rise early and become an important cog but they are rare.