Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida transfer commits to NU basketball team

Florida transfer commits to NU basketball team

Interesting.....surprised this kid couldnt get any closer to Michigan then Nebraska....there are quite a few MAC schools in Michigan...oh well welcome aboard

http://huskerextra.com/sports/husker...83302767d.html

Florida transfer Walter Pitchford has decided to continue his college basketball career at Nebraska.
    Pitchford, a 6-foot-10, 220-pound forward from Grand Rapids, Mich., said Saturday he gave his commitment to coach Tim Miles during his weekend visit to Lincoln.
    “Besides the facilities, they have great coaches and great players,” Pitchford said. “Everybody there, I felt comfortable being with for the time I was there.”
    Paperwork that will finalize Pitchford's transfer is expected to be complete Monday or Tuesday, at which point Miles can comment on his latest recruit.
    Pitchford played in 13 games for a total of 22 minutes as a true freshman last season for Florida and announced in April he was transferring because he wanted to be closer to his ailing grandfather in Michigan. Pitchford said that because of his family situation, he is seeking an NCAA transfer waiver that would allow him to play immediately.

It will be interesting watching Nebrasketball the next 2-3 years to see what kind of turn-around this program will have. With the likes of Pitchford, Biggs, A&M transfer Petteway and the Serb Vucetic, one has to think this may start to get this thing turned around

Said Pitchford played in Omaha this past March in the NCAA Tourney....Gotta be a good catch if Florida wanted this guy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie's Daddy View Post
    It will be interesting watching Nebrasketball the next 2-3 years to see what kind of turn-around this program will have. With the likes of Pitchford, Biggs, A&M transfer Petteway and the Serb Vucetic, one has to think this may start to get this thing turned around

Said Pitchford played in Omaha this past March in the NCAA Tourney....Gotta be a good catch if Florida wanted this guy.....
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Husker Fan
    Very strange that his reasoning is to be closer to his ill grandfather in Michigan. Either in Florida or in Nebraska, neither is driving distance. Just seems weird to me. That said, I'll take him!

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerWeatherman View Post
    Very strange that his reasoning is to be closer to his ill grandfather in Michigan. Either in Florida or in Nebraska, neither is driving distance. Just seems weird to me. That said, I'll take him!
    That presumes that the reason of his transfer was "to see his ill grandfather". Just sayin'...

Kudos to Coach miles for an impressive haul in his first class -- he has certainly made his presence known in the new league.

I hope we don't hear any more compliments from other B1G coaches (learned that lesson when all in the Big XII were complimentary to BC).
    "OK. Appreciate the info." Bo Pelini

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    That presumes that the reason of his transfer was "to see his ill grandfather". Just sayin'...

Kudos to Coach miles for an impressive haul in his first class -- he has certainly made his presence known in the new league.

I hope we don't hear any more compliments from other B1G coaches (learned that lesson when all in the Big XII were complimentary to BC).
    Asking for a waiver so he can be closer to Michigan? Hmmmm. can't believe the NCAA will grant a waiver here! They shouldn't.
    Compliments within the conference are like phone calls at 2 am in the morning! Somebody is up to no good!
    Huskers Uber Alles

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Merle View Post
    Asking for a waiver so he can be closer to Michigan? Hmmmm. can't believe the NCAA will grant a waiver here! They shouldn't.
    Compliments within the conference are like phone calls at 2 am in the morning! Somebody is up to no good!
    I'd be surprised if the waiver was granted as well. If he ended up at Michigan or Michigan State or somewhere actually close to home maybe he'd have a shot...long shot. Then again, it's the NCAA so not much they do makes sense.

Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    I'd be surprised if the waiver was granted as well. If he ended up at Michigan or Michigan State or somewhere actually close to home maybe he'd have a shot...long shot. Then again, it's the NCAA so not much they do makes sense.
    Though it sounds like (from the article, at least) he's basically already a Husker -- just a matter of whether or not he'll be eligible this season or next. Anyhow... yes... it just sounds strange to me with him using his ailing grandfather in MI as a reason for leaving.

I would think if he's good enough to be a real contributor that it would be in the best interest of the program long term that he does sit a year. Find it hard to believe regardless of who we sign by the start of the season that we would be able to make any noise next year.

Just confirmed....he will redshirt this up coming season

Varsity
    With all of the new guys redshirting, this year's team is going to be a bit of a sacrificial lamb to the powers that be in the B1G.

But it should set up for an interesting inaugural season in the new arena in 2013.

All Big 10
    With all of the new guys redshirting, this year's team is going to be a bit of a sacrificial lamb to the powers that be in the B1G.

But it should set up for an interesting inaugural season in the new arena in 2013.

If I lived in Lincoln I'm sure I would have my season ticket order in already for this year to be in good standing for seats for the new Arena. I think that place may end up rocking.
    Moving on...

Welcome Coach Riley! Go Big Red!!!

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    If I lived in Lincoln I'm sure I would have my season ticket order in already for this year to be in good standing for seats for the new Arena. I think that place may end up rocking.
    That would be great for all involved.

Rule #1: Put the students in a meaningful place.
    Rule #2: Never again schedule teams like the University of Maryland - Eastern Shore.
    Rule #3: Penalize season ticket holders that don't show up.

That would be great for all involved.

Rule #1: Put the students in a meaningful place.
    Rule #2: Never again schedule teams like the University of Maryland - Eastern Shore.
    Rule #3: Penalize season ticket holders that don't show up.
    I hear you on 1 and 3. I look at places like KU that put the students right behind the visitors bench and wonder why we job our students so bad and I use to have season tickets in the nose bleed and would get absolutely beside myself to see the premium seats empty. If I couldn't go to a game, I gave my tickets away. They were already payed for and all I cared about is that there was a butt in my seat.

Husker Fan

DEfine "penalizing season ticket holders taht don't show up". You mean habitually? Maybe. But I'm guessing that's rare and I'm guessing that that rare case is likely someone funnelling $ into the university in other ways too. Probably isn't worth alienating that small sample to prove a point. Win games and butts in seats won't be an issue. Simple as that.