Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heard doing double duty

Heard doing double duty

Scout Team
    In my opinion Bo needs to keep him at one position and not flopping between two. I say running back, we have as the artical points out a lot of depth at CB.
    I don't think he can ever flurish if he flip flops. He may have been just as good as Aaron Green but was more flexable in his willingness to swithch positions so AG wouldn't transfer. That didn't work out quite as planned... GBR

Quote Originally Posted by HuttoHusker View Post
    In my opinion Bo needs to keep him at one position and not flopping between two. I say running back, we have as the artical points out a lot of depth at CB.
    I don't think he can ever flurish if he flip flops. He may have been just as good as Aaron Green but was more flexable in his willingness to swithch positions so AG wouldn't transfer. That didn't work out quite as planned... GBR
    Agree with this. The double duty experiments rarely work out for the better. You can make a case for a need for him at either spot. With Jackson and Moore both qualifying, I'd tend to lean more towards moving him back to RB.

Red Shirt

This means that he's likely to warm the bench. If he was near playing time at either position, I doubt they would be having him split time. I think this is a signal that they are using him for depth, but don't have serious plans for him. It's just awfully hard to really develop at either position when you can't concentrate on one or the other.

Husker Immortal
    I agree with the comments above; don't do it.

I think Bo's strategy is he really doesn't know what he has in terms of depth at RB or CB. If some new guys step up at RB and Bo feels comfortable I'm guessing Heard will play CB. I personally think it is smart to let this play out, prepare Heard for playing either position just in case the depth at RB or CB is not too Bo's liking.

Coach knows more than us. Trust me.

Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by statman29 View Post
    I think Bo's strategy is he really doesn't know what he has in terms of depth at RB or CB. If some new guys step up at RB and Bo feels comfortable I'm guessing Heard will play CB. I personally think it is smart to let this play out, prepare Heard for playing either position just in case the depth at RB or CB is not too Bo's liking.

Coach knows more than us. Trust me.
    That's how I see it too. He's probably already established a cutoff date to make a final decision
    Good friends, you take to the movies. Great teammates, you take to battle.
    Mr. Afro Thunder 80

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by G33K View Post
    This means that he's likely to warm the bench. If he was near playing time at either position, I doubt they would be having him split time. I think this is a signal that they are using him for depth, but don't have serious plans for him. It's just awfully hard to really develop at either position when you can't concentrate on one or the other.
    I agree with this. If he were in a position to get significant playing time at either position, they'd have him focusing on that one position. If they continue this experiment for too long before settling on one position, he should probably go ahead and redshirt, practice at one position or the other, and then come back in 2013 ready and available to make an impact on the field.

Husker Fan

double duty = 0 playing time.

Unfortunately Heard is likely to end up like Marcus Mendoza and others who never found a position to call home.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post

Unfortunately Heard is likely to end up like Marcus Mendoza and others who never found a position to call home.
    YUP

Quote Originally Posted by USMC_BugEater View Post
    That's how I see it too. He's probably already established a cutoff date to make a final decision
    Heard is going to play, the question is where. He is too talented not to play.

Ayyy!
    Heard is going to play, the question is where. He is too talented not to play.
    I am sure he is talented, but they need to find him a home and leave him there. If he establishes himself as a top-flight defensive back, maybe then they could dabble with some offensive packages for him to use his skills occasionally there. But he's got to be one or the other... he can't be both a DB and a RB.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post

Come on now, he's likely to get 10 or 20 carries at RB during the year. There's also a good chance he'll be called on to start one game on defense but then disappear completely from the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    I am sure he is talented, but they need to find him a home and leave him there. If he establishes himself as a top-flight defensive back, maybe then they could dabble with some offensive packages for him to use his skills occasionally there. But he's got to be one or the other... he can't be both a DB and a RB.
    thill, I don't think he will be playing both my theory is listed in my first post in this thread. Like Bo said, Heard didn't move to DB because he wasn't good enough to play RB, it was because of the log jam..

I'm confident at some point Bo and Heard will decide where he can help the team the best, and IMHO that won't be until Bo knows what he has in Depth at both positions. If it were up to me, I would want Heard playing Running Back. He spent a year there got reps there both in game and practice next year Burkhead will be gone... I don't like the idea of Heard starting over at DB... at RB he may get more playing time in the long run.

Ayyy!
    thill, I don't think he will be playing both my theory is listed in my first post in this thread. Like Bo said, Heard didn't move to DB because he wasn't good enough to play RB, it was because of the log jam..

I'm confident at some point Bo and Heard will decide where he can help the team the best, and IMHO that won't be until Bo knows what he has in Depth at both positions. If it were up to me, I would want Heard playing Running Back. He spent a year there got reps there both in game and practice next year Burkhead will be gone... I don't like the idea of Heard starting over at DB... at RB he may get more playing time in the long run.
    I agree that he should move back to RB and stay there. With Green's departure, I think that there are plenty of carries to go around, especially if they follow through with the plan to take some of the load off of Rex. That would also possibly allow Imani Cross to redshirt, which might be better for the long term depth of the position.

Then again, if there is a need at DB and Heard can help (by actually playing!), then so be it.

I love playing armchair coach!