Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65

Thread: Oklahoma game may be revived?

  1. #41
    Starter
    Greatest Fan of All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    13,854
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    I was being sarcastic. I think you are reaching much too far to make every story be about Bo's performance.
    I did not bring up Bo's performance in this thread you did.

  2. #42
    Starter
    Greatest Fan of All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    13,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Monds Fan View Post
    I'm not sure why you think that. We played them 3 years ago and won by 4, played them 2 years ago and lost by 3, and last year we both had 9-3 records in the regular season. They finished with one more win than we did, but that was because they had a much easier bowl opponent (Iowa instead of South Carolina), an opponent that they beat by about as much as we did. Has OU been a lot better than us over the past 10-15 years? Absolutely. Recently? Not so much.

    Also, even if they were better than us now, that doesn't mean they will be in 8 years.
    In 2009, they had lost Bradley and were starting a freshman (5 INT's)...they weren't very good for an Oklahoma team and still gave us all we wanted in Lincoln. In 2010, they were better and proved it by coming back from a 17 point deficit, they controlled the game after that and we never threatened. Actually, I'm more worried that they are back to normal while we seem to be regressing. Maybe I'm still smarting from the humiliation they laid on us in 2008, because I'm not sure last year's team was as good as 2008. This year just HAS to be better or we are in big trouble.

  3. #43
    Starter
    Greatest Fan of All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    13,854
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    So those that don't want to play OU...are there other nation power programs you don't want to play? Or is it just bitterness toward OU?
    Nothing against OU, we just aren't ready to play top ten teams yet. When we're ready I'm all for it. I guess since the game isn't for 8 more years, that would put Bo in his 12th year, we might be ready.

  4. #44
    All Legend
    unmartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mead, WA
    Posts
    16,748
    I feel some people's gripe with OU comes off a bit childish....it would be awesome to see us play them again, great matchup with some historical signifigance...I could really care less about the reasons as to why this did not end up a yearly thing, it is what it is
    Just because I rock doesn't mean I am made of stone

  5. #45
    Society Crazy Indeed
    Pops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    47,089
    Quote Originally Posted by unmartin View Post
    I feel some people's gripe with OU comes off a bit childish....it would be awesome to see us play them again, great matchup with some historical signifigance...I could really care less about the reasons as to why this did not end up a yearly thing, it is what it is
    hey...I agree with that!!!
    And it's Monday


    I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

  6. #46
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Just east of KC
    Posts
    2,511
    I'd look forward to it. Not because of the nostolgic rivalry factor, but because it would put a quality opponent on the sched (along with a Pac-12 opponent, assuming OU isn't in the Pac-12 by 2020 ). People can't have it both ways. Moan when NU puts Idaho St. on the sched, and complain about a potential series with OU. It's not like OU is light years ahead of NU. OU is 30-10 in the last 3 seasons, while NU is 29-12.

  7. #47
    All Legend
    unmartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mead, WA
    Posts
    16,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    The downside is that right now, they would probably embarrass us on national television. I'll wait for Bo or someone else to bring our program back to where I can believe that we could be competitive with a top ten team before I want them actually scheduling one for non-conference.

    PS-no, it's no different than any other top flight school (top 10). Bring on a team from 15th-25th, that's a handful for us.
    thank flying spaghetti monster 2020 is not "right now".....unless of course you have a spare Delorean, flux capacitor and Mr. Fusion sitting around
    Just because I rock doesn't mean I am made of stone

  8. #48
    Starter
    Greatest Fan of All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    13,854
    Quote Originally Posted by unmartin View Post
    thank flying spaghetti monster 2020 is not "right now".....unless of course you have a spare Delorean, flux capacitor and Mr. Fusion sitting around
    So you think if we give Bo another 8 years we will be ready? Maybe Stoops will be retired.

  9. #49
    All Legend
    unmartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mead, WA
    Posts
    16,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    So you think if we give Bo another 8 years will be ready? Maybe Stoops will be retired.
    I think we could beat OU now...I also think OU could beat us now...depends on where each team is at in the course of the season (up/down). Do we have areas to shore up? yup (defensive pressure/QB inconsistency). But it is not like OU is light years ahead of us.
    Just because I rock doesn't mean I am made of stone

  10. #50
    Starter
    Greatest Fan of All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    13,854
    Quote Originally Posted by unmartin View Post
    I think we could beat OU now...I also think OU could beat us now...depends on where each team is at in the course of the season (up/down). Do we have areas to shore up? yup (defensive pressure/QB inconsistency). But it is not like OU is light years ahead of us.
    So are you telling me that you think we will beat Wisconsin and Michigan in Lincoln and Ohio State in Columbus? I think OU would handle all of those teams without much problem...not so confident that we will handle any of them.

  11. #51
    Guest

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    606
    I'm having trouble understanding your motivation/agenda...Are you going to be on the bitter bus until Bo gets fired? Do you remember it took Osborne 7 years to beat Oklahoma and 20 years to win a MNC? Your ongoing mantra added to every single thread is predictable, boorish, and simply inaccurate.

    Simply put, Oklahoma is not invincible. Last year they lost to Texas Tech at home, Baylor, and got killed by Oklahoma St as bad as our loss to Wisconsin...so, you are clearly wrong that they would have no problem with Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin...




    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    So are you telling me that you think we will beat Wisconsin and Michigan in Lincoln and Ohio State in Columbus? I think OU would handle all of those teams without much problem...not so confident that we will handle any of them.

  12. #52
    Society Crazy Indeed
    Pops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    47,089
    Quote Originally Posted by the fountainhead View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding your motivation/agenda...Are you going to be on the bitter bus until Bo gets fired? Do you remember it took Osborne 7 years to beat Oklahoma and 20 years to win a MNC? Your ongoing mantra added to every single thread is predictable, boorish, and simply inaccurate.

    Simply put, Oklahoma is not invincible. Last year they lost to Texas Tech at home, Baylor, and got killed by Oklahoma St as bad as our loss to Wisconsin...so, you are clearly wrong that they would have no problem with Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin...
    Then on the other end I find it refreshing to have the other end of the spectrum of Huskers can do no wrong threads. people should have the opportunity to express their views without really having any kind of agenda. The kool-aid drinkers will be in full force after the first win on our way to 12-0 then the first loss we'll see all the doubters....or as I like to call em...realists


    I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

  13. #53
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Just east of KC
    Posts
    2,511
    I can't tell if GFOA is trying to be funny or if he's serious. From what I gather, he's been posting in this thread that NU playing OU in 2020 would be a bad move, because OU is better than NU right now. How does that make any sense? The players who will be involved in the potential matchup aren't even in HS yet.

    For me, that's anything but keeping it real.

  14. #54
    Guest

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    606
    How is "we arent in Oklahoma's league" accurate based on the results I showed earlier. You may find it refreshing to call people seeing improvement "sunshine pumpers" but negative nellies such as yourself, blisker and GFOA have equally distorted glasses on...let me remind you sir that this is a Husker site and Ill take Kool Aide over Hateraide any day here...


    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Then on the other end I find it refreshing to have the other end of the spectrum of Huskers can do no wrong threads. people should have the opportunity to express their views without really having any kind of agenda. The kool-aid drinkers will be in full force after the first win on our way to 12-0 then the first loss we'll see all the doubters....or as I like to call em...realists

  15. #55
    Society Crazy Indeed
    Pops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    47,089
    Quote Originally Posted by the fountainhead View Post
    How is "we arent in Oklahoma's league" accurate based on the results I showed earlier. You may find it refreshing to call people seeing improvement "sunshine pumpers" but negative nellies such as yourself, blisker and GFOA have equally distorted glasses on...let me remind you sir that this is a Husker site and Ill take Kool Aide over Hateraide any day here...
    I've never called anyone a sunshine pumper...I'm no negative nellie either. Of course my glasses are distorted. The last couple years have done that, improvement has yet to be shown. If I am wrong I'll be the first to come on here and say so because in no way do I think all my opinions are right and that is all we have to go by right now...opinions. I am fully aware this is a Husker site...its the reason I am here. Its just a little early for me to be drinking the Kool Aide...Yes the hateraid is a little bitter as it should be...but...it only makes the Kool Aid taste better when and if I decide to try it.

    Its all good man...Its a game.


    I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

  16. #56
    Blackshirt
    BuffSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Down The Road
    Posts
    15,785
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

  17. #57
    That rivalry was like a fine wine that was savored, excellent at the time but the bottle as been empty for a very long time. You just can't put the cork back in the bottle and hope that the vintage wine you so enjoyed will fill your glass ever again, the grapes have changed, and it would take many years of wine making to get back to that same flavor, even then it would be different.

  18. #58
    Starter
    Greatest Fan of All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    13,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    I can't tell if GFOA is trying to be funny or if he's serious. From what I gather, he's been posting in this thread that NU playing OU in 2020 would be a bad move, because OU is better than NU right now. How does that make any sense? The players who will be involved in the potential matchup aren't even in HS yet.

    For me, that's anything but keeping it real.
    I did say that it would be OK to schedule the game because it's so far off. Maybe we'll be competitive with them by then.

  19. #59
    Starter
    Greatest Fan of All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    13,854
    Quote Originally Posted by the fountainhead View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding your motivation/agenda...Are you going to be on the bitter bus until Bo gets fired? Do you remember it took Osborne 7 years to beat Oklahoma and 20 years to win a MNC? Your ongoing mantra added to every single thread is predictable, boorish, and simply inaccurate.

    Simply put, Oklahoma is not invincible. Last year they lost to Texas Tech at home, Baylor, and got killed by Oklahoma St as bad as our loss to Wisconsin...so, you are clearly wrong that they would have no problem with Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin...
    My main motivation is that I like to see us win games. Since this proposed game isn't for 8 years, I suppose it's OK. But, we haven't progressed enough to be scheduling non-conference losses to top 10 type opponents. We just aren't there yet.

    PS--whether you realize it or not, during TO's first 4 years Nebraska was in the top 10 when we played OU (they were too). We were a peer of their's, not looking at them from down under. It also wasn't a waste of a good non-conference victory.

  20. #60
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    45,417
    Quote Originally Posted by the fountainhead View Post
    How is "we arent in Oklahoma's league" accurate based on the results I showed earlier. You may find it refreshing to call people seeing improvement "sunshine pumpers" but negative nellies such as yourself, blisker and GFOA have equally distorted glasses on...let me remind you sir that this is a Husker site and Ill take Kool Aide over Hateraide any day here...
    Wow...negative nellie! I like it! If by not assuming NU is going to run rampant through the Big 10 after a poor defensive year and losing their best defenders and with a QB with a LOT to prove makes me a "negative nellie" that's fine. LIke pops said..I prefer "realist".




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •