Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma game may be revived?

Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Why would there be any downside...i.e. those saying "forget about it". Would it bring back the "rivalry"? No. Would it be a great out of conference game? Hell yes. If we were talking about bama, Florida, FSU, etc. for 2020 people would be pretty excited about it...so why not OU? Bring it on.
    Exactly. It would be a two game series against a big name school.
    Good friends, you take to the movies. Great teammates, you take to battle.
    Mr. Afro Thunder 80

Blackshirt
    Why would there be any downside...i.e. those saying "forget about it". Would it bring back the "rivalry"? No. Would it be a great out of conference game? Hell yes. If we were talking about bama, Florida, FSU, etc. for 2020 people would be pretty excited about it...so why not OU? Bring it on.
    The downside is that right now, they would probably embarrass us on national television. I'll wait for Bo or someone else to bring our program back to where I can believe that we could be competitive with a top ten team before I want them actually scheduling one for non-conference.

PS-no, it's no different than any other top flight school (top 10). Bring on a team from 15th-25th, that's a handful for us.

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    The downside is that right now, they would probably embarrass us on national television. I'll wait for Bo or someone else to bring our program back to where I can believe that we could be competitive with a top ten team before I want them actually scheduling one for non-conference.

PS-no, it's no different than any other top flight school (top 10). Bring on a team from 15th-25th, that's a handful for us.
    I appreciate your vigilance to make sure every issue is somehow related to Bo's poor performance, GFOA, but it must be exhausting. Might want to sit out a thread or two.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    I appreciate your vigilance to make sure every issue is somehow related to Bo's poor performance, GFOA, but it must be exhausting. Might want to sit out a thread or two.
    Every issue is related to the HC's performance, good or bad. In my post, I was clearly including Bo as one who might someday get us to that level, could it be you are even more impatient with Bo than I am?

All Big 10
    Every issue is related to the HC's performance, good or bad. In my post, I was clearly including Bo as one who might someday get us to that level, could it be you are even more impatient with Bo than I am?
    I was being sarcastic. I think you are reaching much too far to make every story be about Bo's performance. I think I may agree with you against some others that Bo still has to prove himself, but I plan on giving him a number of more years to do so before I would become critical. I'm hoping most fans do, because first of all I think he will probably get there, and second of all, it isn't as easy as one might think to hire a coach capable of being instantly successful. The downside to a coaching change would be severe, IMO.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

Husker Fan

So those that don't want to play OU...are there other nation power programs you don't want to play? Or is it just bitterness toward OU?

So those that don't want to play OU...are there other nation power programs you don't want to play? Or is it just bitterness toward OU?

For me, it's not about not playing OU. The sentimental rivalry days are long, long gone; using ancient rivalries as a pre-text/reason to scheduling them has no meaning to me. It just doesn't excite me.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BasilLongfellow View Post
    For me, it's not about not playing OU. The sentimental rivalry days are long, long gone; using ancient rivalries as a pre-text/reason to scheduling them has no meaning to me. It just doesn't excite me.
    So a game against a top 10 program wouldn't excite you? who cares about the associated PR that would come with such an announcement? If it was bama I bet you'd be excited.

1. So a game against a top 10 program wouldn't excite you? who cares about the associated PR that would come with such an announcement? 2. If it was bama I bet you'd be excited.
    1. Never said that. My understanding of the OP is that we should be excited about playing Oklahoma under the context of the past rivalry.
    2. Of course it would.

The downside is that right now, they would probably embarrass us on national television.
    I'm not sure why you think that. We played them 3 years ago and won by 4, played them 2 years ago and lost by 3, and last year we both had 9-3 records in the regular season. They finished with one more win than we did, but that was because they had a much easier bowl opponent (Iowa instead of South Carolina), an opponent that they beat by about as much as we did. Has OU been a lot better than us over the past 10-15 years? Absolutely. Recently? Not so much.

Also, even if they were better than us now, that doesn't mean they will be in 8 years.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    I was being sarcastic. I think you are reaching much too far to make every story be about Bo's performance.
    I did not bring up Bo's performance in this thread you did.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Monds Fan View Post
    I'm not sure why you think that. We played them 3 years ago and won by 4, played them 2 years ago and lost by 3, and last year we both had 9-3 records in the regular season. They finished with one more win than we did, but that was because they had a much easier bowl opponent (Iowa instead of South Carolina), an opponent that they beat by about as much as we did. Has OU been a lot better than us over the past 10-15 years? Absolutely. Recently? Not so much.

Also, even if they were better than us now, that doesn't mean they will be in 8 years.
    In 2009, they had lost Bradley and were starting a freshman (5 INT's)...they weren't very good for an Oklahoma team and still gave us all we wanted in Lincoln. In 2010, they were better and proved it by coming back from a 17 point deficit, they controlled the game after that and we never threatened. Actually, I'm more worried that they are back to normal while we seem to be regressing. Maybe I'm still smarting from the humiliation they laid on us in 2008, because I'm not sure last year's team was as good as 2008. This year just HAS to be better or we are in big trouble.

Blackshirt
    Nothing against OU, we just aren't ready to play top ten teams yet. When we're ready I'm all for it. I guess since the game isn't for 8 more years, that would put Bo in his 12th year, we might be ready.

I feel some people's gripe with OU comes off a bit childish....it would be awesome to see us play them again, great matchup with some historical signifigance...I could really care less about the reasons as to why this did not end up a yearly thing, it is what it is

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by unmartin View Post
    I feel some people's gripe with OU comes off a bit childish....it would be awesome to see us play them again, great matchup with some historical signifigance...I could really care less about the reasons as to why this did not end up a yearly thing, it is what it is
    hey...I agree with that!!!
    And it's Monday

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.