Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 85

Thread: Joe Scarborough: Mitt Romney's Heckler Admission Was 'Mystifying'

  1. #61
    Guest

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    19,545
    Quote Originally Posted by statman29 View Post
    Ohio has correctly picked the last 10 presidential elections if I'm not mistaken.

    I mean .. If you were hiring a CEO to run your company build wealth, create growth and jobs.. Who would you hire, Obama, no business experience, no executive experience.....??? Or Romney.. Obama is unqualified to run a Dairy Queen.
    Of course, we're not hiring a CEO to run a company. That's an analogy we'll hear time and again over the next 6 months, but it's a false one.

  2. #62
    Scout Team
    Lakewood Husker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    lakewood,ca
    Posts
    4,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    You need to put the Kool-Aid pitcher down my good friend....this is going to be a close slug fest.....and right now the math does not favor him....

    Walker may win and will probably lose the state senate (only need to flip one of four seats and that is probably going to happen) which mutes anything he can do the rest of his time in office....so that takes alot of the bloom off of it if he indeed wins...

    Also Romney better make major gains in the Latino and Woman's vote...and that is going to be very tough to do...without that he loses....
    No Kool Aid Red just truth serum. what Latino vote ? The one in California ? Whoop dee doo, New York ? who cares. New Mexico ? not going to win there anyway. The only latino vote that'll matter this cycle will be the Florida one, which he will win.

    The latino vote will be very diminished this election. Just like I was telling you regarding Wisconsin you are missing the boat on this one.

    Again this is a center right country, when the sale has been made the populous will come home to the center right. Reagan made the sale in August and it was a blow out.

    I am not comparing Romney and Reagan however I am comparing obama and carter

  3. #63
    Recruit
    Red Zeppelin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Like Joseph Smith's powerful techniques and coercive tactics to deprive people of their free will? (e.g., 1. his taking as his wives the wives of his followers after being caught physically "taking" them, driving him to come up with the talking hat stuff --- or 2. the early church practice of killing people who left the church).

    Where do you draw the line in your support of religionists on the spectrum where your Catholic faith is at one end (full respect) and live-sacrificing devil worshipers are at the other end of the spectrum, and the Joseph Smiths and the Jim Joneses fall somewhere in between?

    For me personally, I draw the line short of Joseph Smith and what I believe to be his made-up modern era religion. If a political candidate falls on the other side of the line from old Joe, it does not matter to me if the candidate is Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, agnostic, etc.

    My feeling that Mitt is a fool to believe the Morman fables to a point that he should not be President is based on my sense of logic, not based on any bigotry, which, if I may, is a word you apply on here to good people all too loosely and all too frequently when challenging discussions involving faith and logic come to an impasse.
    I think a lot of people really don't know what the Mormon faith is based on and take is as legitimate on face value just because it has been around for quite a few years. After reading up on the faith, some of the beliefs are a bit out there. I would suggest reading "Under the Banner of Heaven". It was a pretty interesting book and shed some light on the history of the church.

  4. #64
    Scout Team
    Lakewood Husker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    lakewood,ca
    Posts
    4,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Of course, we're not hiring a CEO to run a company. That's an analogy we'll hear time and again over the next 6 months, but it's a false one.
    That is true, however business wants to know they have a friend in the White House, of which right now business is so scared to do anything that the confidence in doing anything is paralyzing.

  5. #65
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    108,702
    Yoiu know exactly what I'm talking about....

    Like I said put the Kool Aid down....

    I'm not missing the boat on anything....your thinking with your heart and not your head....


    Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    No Kool Aid Red just truth serum. what Latino vote ? The one in California ? Whoop dee doo, New York ? who cares. New Mexico ? not going to win there anyway. The only latino vote that'll matter this cycle will be the Florida one, which he will win.

    The latino vote will be very diminished this election. Just like I was telling you regarding Wisconsin you are missing the boat on this one.

    Again this is a center right country, when the sale has been made the populous will come home to the center right. Reagan made the sale in August and it was a blow out.

    I am not comparing Romney and Reagan however I am comparing obama and carter
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  6. #66
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    108,702
    Agree...and after having a 'CEO' from 2000-2008 I'd rather not go back that way....

    Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Of course, we're not hiring a CEO to run a company. That's an analogy we'll hear time and again over the next 6 months, but it's a false one.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  7. #67
    Scout Team
    Lakewood Husker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    lakewood,ca
    Posts
    4,765
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    There are certainly a number of scenarios where the election could break decisively for one or the other candidate, and a number of precedents where a close election in June became a blow out by November. But I still subscribe to the conventional wisdom that this is going to be a nail-biter.
    You could be right, heck I would prefer a close election makes Tues night more fun to crunch numbers, however with how the things are lining up state by state I see obama losing by quite a bit. In my earlier analysis i omitted Iowa which I believe will flip to the Republican side.

    Also like I said if Wisconsin goes as badly as it looks besides latino's, young people you can add unions into the low turnout column.

  8. #68
    Scout Team
    Lakewood Husker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    lakewood,ca
    Posts
    4,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Yoiu know exactly what I'm talking about....

    Like I said put the Kool Aid down....

    I'm not missing the boat on anything....your thinking with your heart and not your head....
    Every state I will have Romney winning will have sound reasoning behind it, i don't root from my heart i objectively call shots. Remember, I find Romney to be less than thrilling however I am a student of elections and love to numbers crunch (which by the way I will be here Tues night giving a county by county analysis on the recall) so I look at numbers and trends.

  9. #69
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    108,702
    Even if Walker wins and he loses the state senate then its not a gain and in fact pretty much puts him in check the rest of his term...so I would not read too much into that....the senate flips and he is in trouble....

    Obama losing by quite a bit? Based on what? Not one thing I have read around the country would agree with you...its going to be very close....

    Your letting your heart and not your mind guide you my good friend...


    Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    You could be right, heck I would prefer a close election makes Tues night more fun to crunch numbers, however with how the things are lining up state by state I see obama losing by quite a bit. In my earlier analysis i omitted Iowa which I believe will flip to the Republican side.

    Also like I said if Wisconsin goes as badly as it looks besides latino's, young people you can add unions into the low turnout column.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  10. #70
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    108,702
    I disagree...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    Every state I will have Romney winning will have sound reasoning behind it, i don't root from my heart i objectively call shots. Remember, I find Romney to be less than thrilling however I am a student of elections and love to numbers crunch (which by the way I will be here Tues night giving a county by county analysis on the recall) so I look at numbers and trends.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  11. #71
    Scout Team
    Lakewood Husker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    lakewood,ca
    Posts
    4,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    I disagree...


    By the way here is another thing we disagree on Van halen tonight Staples Center, i know you would love to be among the 15,000 there tonight.....

  12. #72
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    9,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Zeppelin View Post
    I think a lot of people really don't know what the Mormon faith is based on and take is as legitimate on face value just because it has been around for quite a few years. After reading up on the faith, some of the beliefs are a bit out there. I would suggest reading "Under the Banner of Heaven". It was a pretty interesting book and shed some light on the history of the church.
    Good call on Under the Banner of Heaven. It was a good read and a real eye opener. It should be mandatory reading before being allowed to vote this Fall.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

    -- Samuel L. Jackson

  13. #73
    Scout Team
    Lakewood Husker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    lakewood,ca
    Posts
    4,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Good call on Under the Banner of Heaven. It was a good read and a real eye opener. It should be mandatory reading before being allowed to vote this Fall.
    I know what you mean when JFK ran my eyes were open to him taking orders from the Vatican.

  14. #74
    pray for me ;)
    ColoREDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Denver 'burbs
    Posts
    44,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Zeppelin View Post
    After reading up on the faith, some of the beliefs are a bit out there.
    The same could be said about most faiths.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

  15. #75
    All Legend
    huskernut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    17,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Sorry, huskernut, I said "nutty" with no ill intent. Just trying to personalize things or be friendly, like Card or Redbird, as some say to me on here. Won't do it again, huskernut.

    We differ in what we want out of our President, I guess. When he is making decisions, from deciding what direction to take the tax code to when his finger is on the big red button, I want him to be the most logical and intelligent person on the planet. Not necessarily a believer in magic. Those differences are why just about everybody gets to vote, I guess.
    "Nut" or the more correct '' 'nut" are preferred. "Nutty" has a negative connotation in debate which apparently is ambiguous. If you must go there, I prefer to be called "Nut case" because it removes all doubt.

    As far as I know, we've never had a President since our early days who didn't believe in (or at least publicly claim to) more magic than I do, so your standard is a luxury I've never felt able to afford.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

  16. #76
    Travel Squad
    Husker Mort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    Just like others who were slow to the Gov Walker impending victory, guys like Silver will come over late and find out that this election cycle is setting up for a major shift in the electorate. Short of some cataclysmic issue regarding Romney he will be elected President. I have previously said why the election sets up for Romney , Wisconsin and Ohio have gone republican statewide and this holds huge advantages for the Republicans. Florida is gone for the Democrats as is NC. Virginia will flip again. Colorado and Nevada both have a Mormon population that will get out the vote and with the Union's in disaray the Nevada vote with the horrible economy will flip again. I believe Oregon is in play. The youth vote will not even come close to what they did in '08.

    In short with all the usual Republican states Romney will win, Colorado,Nevada,Wisconsin,Ohio,Virginia and depending on VP, PA or New Mexico. I wouldn't be surprised to see him even win in Oregon.

    While conventional wisdom always like's to say it'll be close, or they'll win in 7 or some sort cliche answer, i believe this will not be close.
    Have another tall glass, Lakewood. You don't seem to understand politics in either Wisconsin or Ohio very well. Your sense that they have "gone Republican statewide" is accurate as of November, 2010, but you must not be watching the news lately. Walker and Kasich are among the least popular Governors in the entire country and their agendas have succeeded in nothing so grand as rallying the liberal and moderate base in either state and reminding union workers, many of which had switched tickets, why they used to vote for Democrats. Your claiming that there is a "huge advantage" is absurd on the heels of a statewide recall election and a landslide voter referendum that denounced the tea party agenda here. Losing Florida (a state Obama won by 2.5%) and North Carolina (.4%) wouldn't be shockers either. You haven't shown any evidence that Virginia (6.3%) or Oregon (16.3%) will flip and you seem to be ignoring the huge latino population in Nevada that tends to like things like the DREAM act (Romney has promised to repeal it -- at least that was his latest position). The only assertion that you make that is close to reality is that the youth vote will not play such an important role in this election.

    If the election breaks it will be for the President. Your candidate simply doesn't have the charisma to inspire people, the resume to motivate the base, or the courage to attract conservative Democrats or liberal independents.


    Quote Originally Posted by statman29 View Post
    I mean .. If you were hiring a CEO to run your company build wealth, create growth and jobs.. Who would you hire, Obama, no business experience, no executive experience.....??? Or Romney.. Obama is unqualified to run a Dairy Queen.
    Stay classy, Statman -- and keep thinking of Government as a business that is, apparently, not driven by a profit motive. Explain how that works to me. Also, some insight as to how the CEO of a private investment firm is qualified to lead such a radically different "business model" if you must insist on the analogy.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    That is true, however business wants to know they have a friend in the White House, of which right now business is so scared to do anything that the confidence in doing anything is paralyzing.
    Per the most recent Rolling Stone article it sounds like the business world's most affluent will be able to curie favor with the potential President Romney based on their SuperPAC donations alone. The list is a who's who of misanthropes and henchmen that even you, lakewood, would cringe at. I love the talking point, by the way, that there is too much uncertainty and business men are scared -- as if the party of no has nothing to do with the unstable economic climate and near default of the US.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

  17. #77
    Scout Team
    Lakewood Husker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    lakewood,ca
    Posts
    4,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    Have another tall glass, Lakewood. You don't seem to understand politics in either Wisconsin or Ohio very well. Your sense that they have "gone Republican statewide" is accurate as of November, 2010, but you must not be watching the news lately. Walker and Kasich are among the least popular Governors in the entire country and their agendas have succeeded in nothing so grand as rallying the liberal and moderate base in either state and reminding union workers, many of which had switched tickets, why they used to vote for Democrats. Your claiming that there is a "huge advantage" is absurd on the heels of a statewide recall election and a landslide voter referendum that denounced the tea party agenda here. Losing Florida (a state Obama won by 2.5%) and North Carolina (.4%) wouldn't be shockers either. You haven't shown any evidence that Virginia (6.3%) or Oregon (16.3%) will flip and you seem to be ignoring the huge latino population in Nevada that tends to like things like the DREAM act (Romney has promised to repeal it -- at least that was his latest position). The only assertion that you make that is close to reality is that the youth vote will not play such an important role in this election.

    If the election breaks it will be for the President. Your candidate simply doesn't have the charisma to inspire people, the resume to motivate the base, or the courage to attract conservative Democrats or liberal independents.




    Stay classy, Statman -- and keep thinking of Government as a business that is, apparently, not driven by a profit motive. Explain how that works to me. Also, some insight as to how the CEO of a private investment firm is qualified to lead such a radically different "business model" if you must insist on the analogy.




    Per the most recent Rolling Stone article it sounds like the business world's most affluent will be able to curie favor with the potential President Romney based on their SuperPAC donations alone. The list is a who's who of misanthropes and henchmen that even you, lakewood, would cringe at. I love the talking point, by the way, that there is too much uncertainty and business men are scared -- as if the party of no has nothing to do with the unstable economic climate and near default of the US.
    Quickly mort as I am in the office today so I don't have a lot of time. In Wisconsin they will have in November 2 Republican US Senators and a Republican Gov. To me that is turning Republican.

    I have been watching the news and apparently you have missed my posts regarding Walker winning the recall on Tuesday that I had been posting for quite awhile, even before polls started to show the widening for Walker. Again I will after Romney selects a VP give my breakdown of the electorate and reasoning. Lastly in Nevada the union is everything there, they are responsible for the get out the vote efforts there and the unions are losing influence and quite frankly excitement from within. Nevada has a large Mormon base in Nevada that vote, the Latino vote in Nevada imo will not materialize because they are leaving in droves as there is no work and frankly they don't vote at the rate the Mormon vote will turnout.

  18. #78
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    I know what you mean when JFK ran my eyes were open to him taking orders from the Vatican.
    I've used this same example on my hardcore lefty friends to point out the absurdity of being worried about Romney taking orders from Salt Lake.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Jim Jones and the People's Temple, like the Branch Davidians, used powerful techniques and coercive tactics to deprive people of their free will.
    Like Joseph Smith's powerful techniques and coercive tactics to deprive people of their free will? (e.g., 1. his taking as his wives the wives of his followers after being caught physically "taking" them, driving him to come up with the talking hat stuff --- or 2. the early church practice of killing people who left the church).

    Where do you draw the line in your support of religionists on the spectrum where your Catholic faith is at one end (full respect) and live-sacrificing devil worshipers are at the other end of the spectrum, and the Joseph Smiths and the Jim Joneses fall somewhere in between?

    For me personally, I draw the line short of Joseph Smith and what I believe to be his made-up modern era religion. If a political candidate falls on the other side of the line from old Joe, it does not matter to me if the candidate is Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, agnostic, etc.

    My feeling that Mitt is a fool to believe the Morman fables to a point that he should not be President is based on my sense of logic, not based on any bigotry, which, if I may, is a word you apply on here to good people all too loosely and all too frequently when challenging discussions involving faith and logic come to an impasse.
    And, some people believe Obama's fascination with the beliefs and practices of Mao, Stalin, Lenin, Marx or Hitler are good logic for why he should not be President.

    Extremist rhetoric...guess both sides like to use it.

  20. #80
    Travel Squad
    Husker Mort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    Quickly mort as I am in the office today so I don't have a lot of time. In Wisconsin they will have in November 2 Republican US Senators and a Republican Gov. To me that is turning Republican.

    I have been watching the news and apparently you have missed my posts regarding Walker winning the recall on Tuesday that I had been posting for quite awhile, even before polls started to show the widening for Walker. Again I will after Romney selects a VP give my breakdown of the electorate and reasoning. Lastly in Nevada the union is everything there, they are responsible for the get out the vote efforts there and the unions are losing influence and quite frankly excitement from within. Nevada has a large Mormon base in Nevada that vote, the Latino vote in Nevada imo will not materialize because they are leaving in droves as there is no work and frankly they don't vote at the rate the Mormon vote will turnout.
    (1) Walker avoiding recall says nothing about the November election.
    (2) The latino population is not all migrant laborers as you seem to imply and Romney's opposition against the DREAM act alone will get many of the permanent latino residents to the polls.
    (3) There are 170,000 Mormons in Nevada. Obama won by 120,000 in 2008 against a popular western politician. You need more Mormons to vote than are eligible to make your prognostication reality.
    (4) "Protestant/Other Christian" only broke at a rate of 51-47 for McCain.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •