Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the hell is going on

Society Crazy Indeed

What the hell is going on

Is something being put in the holy water?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/05/3...l-lgbt-people/

“They should be put to death,” Knapp declared. “‘Oh, so you’re saying we should go out and start killing them, no?’ — I’m saying the government should. They won’t, but they should.”
    “You say, ‘Oh, I can’t believe you, you’re horrible. You’re a backwards neanderthal of a person.’ Is that what you’re calling scripture? Is God a neanderthal, backwards in his morality? Is it His word or not? If it’s His word, he commanded it. It’s His idea, not mine. And I’m not ashamed of it.”

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

All Big 10

Scary stuff.

Because the next pastor may point out that Leviticus was a general instruction to all believers, so why wait for government?

Question: can a religious leader advocate the killing of another person under the protection of the first amendment?

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Scary stuff.

Because the next pastor may point out that Leviticus was a general instruction to all believers, so why wait for government?

Question: can a religious leader advocate the killing of another person under the protection of the first amendment?
    Sure

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/farr...ay-be-applied/

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

Intellectual Patriot
    Scary stuff.

That is a good question. To me it seems to incite the killing of another individual by manipulating scripture would be paramount to conspiracy to commit murder.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

All Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    Im certain Farrakhan has said outrageous things, but I'm not sure what you have an issue with in that link. The mention of retaliation in one post of many that are not advocating any sort of violence?

Anyway, do you think the 1a protects speech like farrakans and the preacher in the OP?

Starter
    Im certain Farrakhan has said outrageous things, but I'm not sure what you have an issue with in that link. The mention of retaliation in one post of many that are not advocating any sort of violence?

Anyway, do you think the 1a protects speech like farrakans and the preacher in the OP?
    You asked if a religious leader could advocate the killing of another person under the protection of the first amendment? I posted just one recent occurrence where it has happened and nothing was brought forward, so I would say, yes they can, at least until they are challenged.

I guess my underlying question is why all of a sudden is this now a top priority when it has been going on for years?

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

What is it with Kansas Christians?

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post

“They should be put to death,” Knapp declared. “‘Oh, so you’re saying we should go out and start killing them, no?’ — I’m saying the government should. They won’t, but they should.”
    “You say, ‘Oh, I can’t believe you, you’re horrible. You’re a backwards neanderthal of a person.’ Is that what you’re calling scripture? Is God a neanderthal, backwards in his morality? Is it His word or not? If it’s His word, he commanded it. It’s His idea, not mine. And I’m not ashamed of it.”
    As a Catholic, my church is the whore of Babylon in this guys eyes anyway. The the problem I have with fundamentalism is it's not his word without alteration and these guys quote it and use it like it is the end all. The majority of Christianity does not believe in a literal translation and he would have a tough time claiming any religious protection.

All Big 10

You asked if a religious leader could advocate the killing of another person under the protection of the first amendment? I posted just one recent occurrence where it has happened and nothing was brought forward, so I would say, yes they can, at least until they are challenged.

I guess my underlying question is why all of a sudden is this now a top priority when it has been going on for years?
    Define top priority.

Again, what tweet are you referring to that specifically advocates killing someone? Was farrakan speaking from a religious motivation in that context?

And I think there's a big difference between specifically induced anger toward someone and a general calling for the mass killing of a certain group, though both are bad.

as to why it's a big deal today? I guess because the advent of recording devices makes information dissemination easier.

Scary stuff.

Yes, I believe it is protected by the first amendment. Don't get me wrong, the content of his speech is disgusting, reprehensible, pathetic and misguided. But protected speech nonetheless. He is effectively advocating that legislators pass a law making homosexuality a capital offense. That is definitely protected speech.

The moment he crosses the line and advocates for people to go out and kill homosexuals themselves, his speech is no longer protected.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Travel Squad
    Define top priority.

Again, what tweet are you referring to that specifically advocates killing someone? Was farrakan speaking from a religious motivation in that context?

And I think there's a big difference between specifically induced anger toward someone and a general calling for the mass killing of a certain group, though both are bad.

as to why it's a big deal today? I guess because the advent of recording devices makes information dissemination easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Yes, I believe it is protected by the first amendment. Don't get me wrong, the content of his speech is disgusting, reprehensible, pathetic and misguided. But protected speech nonetheless. He is effectively advocating that legislators pass a law making homosexuality a capital offense. That is definitely protected speech.

The moment he crosses the line and advocates for people to go out and kill homosexuals themselves, his speech is no longer protected.
    ...amazing that this is even part of the discourse in 2012.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Group B
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post

no holy water here, just another knuckehead that has zero common sense, no abilty to look at the bible whollistically and allow scripture to interpret scripture.

I read where a pastor died in West Va because he was bitten by a rattlesnake. As a young boy he watched his dad die of a rattlesnake bite doing the same thing. All because they both sincerely believed a passage of scripture to say one thing when it didnt.
    That's not what he said you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English! - Johnny Ringo.

All Big 10
    I often don't approve of Farrakhan, for exactly the kind of statement you quote here. And I agree with your implication that too many liberals are unwilling to root out hypocrisy and inconsistency in their own political views.

But there is a difference in degree between his statement and explicitly saying gays should be killed, and also because his threat is at least in response to a (probably wrongly perceived) injustice.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

All Big 10
    This pastor's statement is nothing short of obscene, and should be offensive to any moral person.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

I recommend everyone read the Rolling Stone story Pops put up in his 'Why I Hate Bullying' thread. This kind of behavior exists and has a cruel, sometimes fatal influence over innocent people all over our country, and the reason it's a "top priority" is because it should be.