Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RB Terrell Newby To Decide Soon: Update Nike Air Strike: Very Impressive

Yup well said....and as you said alot of kids start to surface....and some like Alexander (Class of 2012) don't get notice until late because of school transfers....etc. etc....

And some kids, such as Fuller, play the process for all its worth to boot...we are going to be fine.....heck look how we snagged Cross late last year when we did not intend to take a RB....and got a real gem in my opinion.....its a long process that has to playout...and going into panic mode in late May is not a good thing....

Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    Also remember that watching and evaluating film is a lengthy process for not only the coaches, but the recruiting sites. A lot of times they start ranking the kids that are committed first and then as camps start coming in and more offers start going out, they shuffle, dramatically. So labeling which kids are committed somewhere from the rankings this early doesn't mean a lot. Just because we go down our board a bit now doesn't mean the kid won't end up being better than other guys ranked higher than him now...

AKA Jordan Westerkamp

Another reason to not panic, the Rivals250 has been out for not that long and it has already shuffled to add 20 new people....
    http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...sp?CID=1370346
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    This looks like a kid who is looking for a place holder so he is assured of a scholarship while he looks around....happens all of the time....

We've had it done to us....Debo Jones comes to mind....

If folks are starting to worry this early then I might just take a break from this forum....relax people recruiting is a long haul....with a lot of ups 'n' downs...we are in good shape and are going to be okay....
    To me...Newby's deal is quite a bit different than Jones.

I think there is a bit of a difference between worry and expressing concern. I agree with you in that it's too early to worry. Way to early. Long time to go. But I don't think it's unfounded for someone to say we aren't sitting in a good position at a couple of positions on our board.

I agree that was just an example....Tyler Gabbert would have been a better example....he indeed did use us as a place holder....

I'm neither concerned or worried....its late May....alot of stuff will happen between now and Feb 2013...and we both know that....in an ideal world to sow everyone up early would be great however, Nebraska does not have a pool like Texas and Ohio State (for example) have to pick from within state thus it becomes that much harder to recruit...location is a huge detrement for Nebraska and this staff has done a GREAT job over coming it.....

I disagree I think its way to early....but then again I don't want to go down that path again and have another thread derailed....its a matter of opinion...and not worth wee-weeing all over for pages....

Quote Originally Posted by jslsker View Post
    To me...Newby's deal is quite a bit different than Jones.

I think there is a bit of a difference between worry and expressing concern. I agree with you in that it's too early to worry. Way to early. Long time to go. But I don't think it's unfounded for someone to say we aren't sitting in a good position at a couple of positions on our board.

As Red Reign touched on, his commit to Cal will be a place-holder. They've already got their first RB commit as I said in OP, he's making sure he gets the second slot if he wants it. He'll still be taking an official to Lincoln in the Fall. Definition of a soft-commit.

Yup so we are far from out of this horse race...

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post
    As Red Reign touched on, his commit to Cal will be a place-holder. They've already got their first RB commit as I said in OP, he's making sure he gets the second slot if he wants it. He'll still be taking an official to Lincoln in the Fall. Definition of a soft-commit.

Apparently Newby had a chat with Rich Fisher and has decided to postpone his visit. Says he doesn't want to commit before seeing all of his options.

Interesting.

Like I said we are not out of this...

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post
    Apparently Newby had a chat with Rich Fisher and has decided to postpone his visit. Says he doesn't want to commit before seeing all of his options.

Interesting.

Per his own words tonight...Cal is still the leader.

At least we might get a visit.

I agree that was just an example....Tyler Gabbert would have been a better example....he indeed did use us as a place holder....

I'm neither concerned or worried....its late May....alot of stuff will happen between now and Feb 2013...and we both know that....in an ideal world to sow everyone up early would be great however, Nebraska does not have a pool like Texas and Ohio State (for example) have to pick from within state thus it becomes that much harder to recruit...location is a huge detrement for Nebraska and this staff has done a GREAT job over coming it.....

I disagree I think its way to early....but then again I don't want to go down that path again and have another thread derailed....its a matter of opinion...and not worth wee-weeing all over for pages....

Agree that a lot of stuff will happen between now and February. I don't expect us to have this class wrapped by May 31st, but my point was that it'd be alot more re-assuring if we had a few more guys on our offensive board who even appeared as realistic options. The longer we wait, the harder it becomes to develop relationships and the more likely we are to start stretching. There is still a ton of time left...but that doesn't mean we are sitting in an ideal spot.

We are doing fine....this staff has a knack of building good relationships....just look at what all most every guy who signed with Nebraska in 2012 said....oh and it did not hurt us with the likes of Curry and Cross who we built a solid bond with in a short amount of time....

I'l say it again its May 30....8 months plus a few days until signing day no need for any worry or alarm....we will be fine....

Quote Originally Posted by jslsker View Post
    Agree that a lot of stuff will happen between now and February. I don't expect us to have this class wrapped by May 31st, but my point was that it'd be alot more re-assuring if we had a few more guys on our offensive board who even appeared as realistic options. The longer we wait, the harder it becomes to develop relationships and the more likely we are to start stretching.

Red Shirt
    Based on my reading of the tea leaves. He says he wants to decide soon. He hasn't visited Nebraska. He is a Cali kid.

I would looove to be wrong. It would balance out the last time I was shocked by a commitment. When Andrus Peat chose Stanford over Nebraska.

Thats an easy answer based on what?

Looks like your tea leaves might be wrong.....being from California is not the issue on this one...finding a place holder and then continuing to visit looks more probable...not unheard of from a kid to ensure they get a top-notch skollie.....we are in this one and have a decent shot at landing him...

So are Taylor Martinez, Cory Whittaker, Quincy Enuwa, Thomas Brown, Josh Mitchell, Damion Stafford & Djon Washington....we have done well recruiting California for the most part....

Peat choosing Stanford in the end was no shock....for alot of obvious reasons....from their O-line to NFL top draft picks to the education....

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Howl View Post
    Based on my reading of the tea leaves. He says he wants to decide soon. He hasn't visited Nebraska. He is a Cali kid.

I would looove to be wrong. It would balance out the last time I was shocked by a commitment. When Andrus Peat chose Stanford over Nebraska.

#1 Husker Fan
    We can thank Coach Fisher for getting Terrell to change his mind on his commitment. After talking to Terrell last night, the visit is back on!!!!!!
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

There you go....not a lock after all....

Quote Originally Posted by SBHusker View Post
    We can thank Coach Fisher for getting Terrell to change his mind on his commitment. After talking to Terrell last night, the visit is back on!!!!!!

Coming ot the second Jr Day it looks like....that is really good news....

Red Shirt
    Wouldn't be the first time. Won't be the last.

Of course we won't know for sure until he signs on the dotted line in February.

The fact that he is going to visit is very good news. It at least gives us a fighting chance.

Looks like your tea leaves might be wrong.

Coach Fisher keeping us in this may just be one of the coup's of the season if we get a commit and we have a real shot at it....should be bumped to a 4-star soon....

This is the point some of us have been trying to make about kids who are underrated and start to emerge when given a chance....

RB Terrell Newby, West Hills (Calif.) Chaminade Newby has not been seen at many camps or 7-on-7 events this offseason, so we were surprised to see just how dominant he was in Saturday's action. Once he catches the ball out of the backfield, the three-star is gone and even fast players have a tough time tracking him down. The Chaminade running back is one prospect who has a good chance to significantly move up the rankings the next time around. He's that talented.
    http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com...medium=twitter

Going to be real interesting to see how his visit to the second Jr Day goes....

Big Red Fan!!!

Going to be real interesting to see how his visit to the second Jr Day goes....
    When is that?

Heisman
    This coming weekend
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.