Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Sports Biography

Favorite Sports Biography

What are your favorite sports biographies?

My personal favorite is Bird Watching. Found it to be a good glimpse into the life of a regular guy who just happened to be a great basketball player.

Haven't read many from/about recent athletes as I can't imagine myself enjoying them.

Red Shirt
    When I was quite young, I was a huge baseball fan. Have totally gotten over it a long time ago.

My hero was Mickey Mantle, and there was a torn-up paperback biography og him that came my way in the late 50's. Must have damn near memorized the thing.

Got to see him play in a world series in L.A. in the early 60's. Whitey Ford vs. Sandy Koufax. Drysdale in relief. Got to meet Ernest Borgnine outside the stadium - "Who ya routin' for, kid?" as he gave me a sort of playful hit on my shoulder. Damn, he's a big and strong guy! "The Yankees!" "Ah, kid, ya gotta go wit' the Dodgers." And off he went to the penthouse suite, and my dad and I to the right field bleachers - right behind Roger Maris. Ahhh, dem were da days. Anyway, was glad to see Mickey as a (mostly) pinch-hitter.

Damnit, Nova Scotia -- see what you started?

Also read "Strictly Business" by Roger Craig. Was surprised by how little he seemed to think of Coach Osborne. Almost insulting, IMO.

Varsity

I really like both Osborne's first book More than Winning and Bob Devaney's book. I also like Joe Gibbs book Fourth and One. All of them have good insights into each coach and have parts that are just LOL funny.

I haven't read any sports autobiographies or biographies in a long while. Right now I'm reading Shoeless Joe, the book that inspired the movie Field of Dreams. The next sports book I'll read after that is probably Summer of 49. I may be one of the only baseball fans alive who hasn't read that book. I think eventually I'll get around to reading the David Maraniss book on Vince Lombardi and the Richard Cramer book on Joe DiMaggio.
    Don't do a drug you find in Oakland. Ever.---The Oral History of the Big 12

Head Lackey

He's a pitcher, part yogi and part recluse. Impressively liberated from our opulent life-style, Sidd's deciding about yoga—and his future in baseball

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...9283/index.htm
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Society Crazy Indeed
    75 years of the Fighting Sioux

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Roar of Silence.

Blackshirt
    Summer of '68 -- Boys of Summer -- Driving Mr Yogi -- Ball Four -- Wow, there's soooo many, but these are a few of my favorite baseball books at least
    Train Insane or Stay the Same! @TheRedOne80

They Call Me Assassin-------Biography of Jack Tatum........greatest S to ever play the game

Blackshirt
    Instant Replay by Jerry Kramer about the Packers is another great read - pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by hskerpwr View Post
    They Call Me Assassin-------Biography of Jack Tatum........greatest S to ever play the game.... PLUS Summer of '68 -- Boys of Summer -- Driving Mr Yogi -- Ball Four -- Wow, there's soooo many, but these are a few of my favorite baseball books at least
    +1

Blackshirt
    Currently reading An American Legend: Stan Musial -- admittedly not the most well written book ever, but the content is fascinating

Recruit
    Caddy for Life: The Bruce Edwards Story

For anyone who loves golf, this is a great read....Edwards was Tom Watsons longtime caddy, and it covers Edwards life, friendship with Watson, and battle with ALS.....Has some great stories about the goings on of the PGA tour and is written by John Feinstein, who is an amazing author
    "There's three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way and the way that I do it. " - Nicky Santoro

"All things end badly, or else they wouldn't end. " - Brian Flanagan

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dead Redemption View Post

He's a pitcher, part yogi and part recluse. Impressively liberated from our opulent life-style, Sidd's deciding about yoga—and his future in baseball

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...9283/index.htm
    I remember reading that

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    I remember reading that
    Classic April Fool's joke!

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Red93 View Post

Classic ----- ----- ----!
    Could've still worked on the young-un's had you not said that...

Red Shirt

bootleggers boy, (20 yr ago) --- by barry switzer was pretty good, as was the book by jerry west recently, i cant think of the name of it.
    That gov't is best, which governs least -- Thomas Paine

Red Shirt
    Tennis Without Balls - by Renee Richards
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflation View Post
    Tennis Without Balls - by Renee Richards

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Bo Knows Bo

Osborne's books are all pretty decent, IMO.

One of these days I plan on reading John Wooden's "They Call Me Coach."

'Monsters of Midway'...about Bronco Nagurski and the Chicago Bears of the 1930's....great book and highly recommend it....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season