Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes America great?

Habitual Line Crosser
    It's probably not me.

Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    You get so wrapped up in the proverbial "its all about me and my" that you loose not only your creditability but any resemblance of intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I'm reaching the point of becoming a lunatic here

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Most corporations also are centralized, appointed and top down. What works for corporations and churches does not work for government.
    While respect your point of view, I don't agree with it. Not all government is 'centralized, highly appointed, top down structure of the oversize federal government'. Local government can be very effective an streamlined. Likewise, not all churches/religions have a 'centralized, highly appointed, top down, oversize structure'. Some do but others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    While respect your point of view, I don't agree with it. Not all government is 'centralized, highly appointed, top down structure of the oversize federal government'. Local government can be very effective an streamlined. Likewise, not all churches/religions have a 'centralized, highly appointed, top down, oversize structure'. Some do but others don't.
    Nobody said otherwise.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Head Lackey
    (caution: slurs)

"That ain't the American Way, buddy. No, siree. Listen here, professor. You're the one who needs an American History lesson. You don't know nothin' about Lady Liberty standin' there in the harbor, with her torch on high, screamin' out to all the nations in the world: "Send me your poor, your deadbeats, your filthy."

And all the nations send 'em in here, they come swarming in like ants. Your Spanish PR's from the Caribboin, your Japs, your Chinamen, your Krauts and your ***** and your English ****.

All of 'em come in here and they're all free to live in their own separate sections where they feel safe. And they'll bust your head if you go in there. That's what makes America great, buddy."
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

All Legend
    What makes America great?

Pom Poms

usccheerleaders1.jpg

What works for corporations and churches does not work for government.
    Nobody said otherwise.
    So, if I can put it another way: "What doesn't work for government often doesn't work for churches/religions."

So, if I can put it another way: "What doesn't work for government often doesn't work for churches/religions."
    Different organizations have different hierarchies. Some are centralized, some are diffuse. What works for one organization may or may not work for another. Which brings me back to my original point: there is nothing even remotely ironic about the fact that our federal government is a representative democracy and the Catholic Church is a centralized top down organization. They are completely different organizations with different needs, different objectives, and different structures.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    yesterday I was clever so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise so, I'll just change myself!
    You're starting with the man in the mirror? You're asking him to change his ways? And no message could have been any clearer--if you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change?

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

Different organizations have different hierarchies. Some are centralized, some are diffuse. What works for one organization may or may not work for another. Which brings me back to my original point: there is nothing even remotely ironic about the fact that our federal government is a representative democracy and the Catholic Church is a centralized top down organization. They are completely different organizations with different needs, different objectives, and different structures.
    Absolutely right. It makes sense that the Roman Catholic church is centralized and top-down, because in the church's view, that's the way Jesus instituted it after Peter's confession of faith: "And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church..." In Catholic understanding, that was the beginning of this system of hierarchy.

While I disagree with the Roman Catholic interpretation of that bit of scripture, it completely makes sense that to have done it the way they have is totally in line with trying in their understanding of Scripture to be faithful to how Jesus set things up.

Jesus didn't institute a form of government for ruling a country, but in the Roman Catholic understanding of Scripture, he did institute the beginnings of a framework for the church. No comparison.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    Absolutely right. No comparison.
    If you say so.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    You're starting with the man in the mirror? You're asking him to change his ways? And no message could have been any clearer--if you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change?
    You just had yourself a Michael moment.

Heisman

Ironically the centralized, highly appointed, top down structure of the oversize federal government is disliked by many while that same structure is preferred by some religious organizations and their followers.
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    And this leads the question...

So?
    Wow, hadn't had time to read this thread until now. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Jay tried to co-opt this one into another "bash the Catholic church" thread even though the topic had absolutely nothing to do with the church. Good job Jay, stay on point there, man!

Blackshirt

Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    The people living in a system that distributed the risk taking so a failure wouldn't bring the whole thing crashing down allowing more people to be innovated and take risk and than reap the reward or deal with the failure. That was a while ago and we are still living off the after glow of real freedom and liberty.

For a while now we have been centrilizing our selves, eliminating risk, limiting reward, and killing off innovation in the process. Not gone yet but it is just a dying ember of what it was. We the people need to realize we need to go back to a restrained government not a government set with the goal of making everything as fair and equal as possible.
    Please define.."restrained government" and give a time when we had such a government. So are you saying that government should not make things as fair and equal as possible and that our state motto, "Equality Before the Law," is not "restrained" enough for your liking?
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

Blackshirt

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    What makes America great?

Pom Poms

usccheerleaders1.jpg
    Thank you ever so much for this post. I hope you will take that in the purely puritanical spirit in which it was offered.
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    So are you saying that government should not make things as fair and equal as possible and that our state motto, "Equality Before the Law," is not "restrained" enough for your liking?
    Government should ensure equal opportunity, not equal outcome, so, no, government's goal should not be to make everything "fair and equal." Civil Rights laws ensure equal opportunity, Affirmative Action is reverse discrimination and therefore does not.

I understood "Equality Before the Law" to mean that the law applies to everyone regardless of race, creed, social status, etc. I don't see how this "restrains" government.