Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: The 25 Best Quotes From American Soldiers

  1. #16
    Head Lackey
    Red Dead Redemption's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Stuck on Mopac...
    Posts
    13,771
    Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    "Bring me my Brown pants"



    "I wish I was a loofah." - Capt. Stillman
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.



  2. #17
    Guest

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Papillion, NE
    Posts
    3,743
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    I think the point that Lee was making was very salient. He was pointing out that there is much about war that appeals to human nature ... the courage, the drama, the camraderie, the brotherhood. At the time he made the statement, he was watching his outnumbered troops repel a huge Union advance at Frederickburg. Human nature has always been inclined toward war. I think Lee was saying that it is good that it is so terrible or otherwise we would be even more inclined to fight each other.
    As I said, I agree Lee makes a good point, he just doesn't do it well.

  3. #18
    All Big 10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,620
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    What makes a great quote is that it makes a salient point and it makes it well. The problem with this quote, though I understand and agree with the point, it that it doesn't say it very well. If war weren't so terrible there'd be no reason not to grow fond of it.
    In what service/war did you serve?

  4. #19
    Heisman
    USMC_BugEater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    32,385
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    #5.
    Getty



    The Aftermath:Even after heavy losses (including Capt. Williams himself), the Marines repelled wave after wave of German assaults, eventually taking the woods for the Allied side and preventing an invasion of Paris. Even the enemy was impressed: An official German report described the Marines as "remarkable" and "waaaay more scary than the French." [citation needed]

    "Also there's one coming here right AGGGGHHH!"
    Even today, the words "Retreat Hell" are still on the shield of the 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines (personally, we would have gone with "We Just Got Here!").



    The Germans also nicknamed us Tefuel Hunden (spelling?) which roughly translates to "Devil Dog".
    Good friends, you take to the movies. Great teammates, you take to battle.
    Mr. Afro Thunder 80

  5. #20
    All Big 10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,620
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_BugEater View Post
    The Germans also nicknamed us Tefuel Hunden (spelling?) which roughly translates to "Devil Dog".
    [/CENTER]
    That is a of questionably historical accuracy, but a cool nickname nonetheless.

  6. #21
    Guest

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Papillion, NE
    Posts
    3,743
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    In what service/war did you serve?
    What does that have to do with whether or not the quote was well said?

  7. #22
    All Big 10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,620
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    What does that have to do with whether or not the quote was well said?
    Because you stated that people grow fond of war because of how terrible it is, rather than inspite of it. That's actually a very different sentiment from what Lee intended. Lee's quote referred to his fondness for the camaraderie that builds between soldiers serving together, particularly among his senior officer corps.

    I was curious about your point of reference for making your comment.

    Now rereadimg your quote, I'm wondering if I misunderstood what you said because of your sentence's triple negative. But if I misunderstood, then I still don't understand how your position is different from Lee's

  8. #23
    Guest

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Papillion, NE
    Posts
    3,743
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Not on the list, but it should be:

    "It is well that war is so terrible -- otherwise we should grow too fond of it."

    Robert E. Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    What makes a great quote is that it makes a salient point and it makes it well. The problem with this quote, though I understand and agree with the point, it that it doesn't say it very well. If war weren't so terrible there'd be no reason not to grow fond of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    As I said, I agree Lee makes a good point, he just doesn't do it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Because you stated that people grow fond of war because of how terrible it is, rather than inspite of it. That's actually a very different sentiment from what Lee intended. Lee's quote referred to his fondness for the camaraderie that builds between soldiers serving together, particularly among his senior officer corps.

    I was curious about your point of reference for making your comment.

    Now rereadimg your quote, I'm wondering if I misunderstood what you said because of your sentence's triple negative. But if I misunderstood, then I still don't understand how your position is different from Lee's
    I never said people grow fond of war because it's terrible and I never disagreed with Lee's sentiment. I merely said he didn't state it well. In my mind, that disqualifies it as a great quote--but not as a valid point.
    Again, if war wasn't bad, why shouldn't anyone grow fond of it?

    To answer your question, I was in the Navy from '81 - '89. I'm grateful I never saw action because was is terrible and I am not fond of it.

  9. #24
    All Big 10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,620
    How could he have said it better?

    To your question:

    Again, if war wasn't bad, why shouldn't anyone grow fond of it?
    I think his point was that some of the ancillary things about war make it appealing to human nature, but luckily those appeals are outweighed by the brutality and negative consequences of war.

    In other words, if it were any less terrible, people might be more willing to engage in it. It's an eloquent point.

    Incidentally, that is a sentiment that supports the notion we should avoid things like UAVs and other weapons that make war less visible and "terrible" for those that wage it.







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •