Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 25 Best Quotes From American Soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    In what service/war did you serve?
    What does that have to do with whether or not the quote was well said?

All Legend

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    What does that have to do with whether or not the quote was well said?
    Because you stated that people grow fond of war because of how terrible it is, rather than inspite of it. That's actually a very different sentiment from what Lee intended. Lee's quote referred to his fondness for the camaraderie that builds between soldiers serving together, particularly among his senior officer corps.

I was curious about your point of reference for making your comment.

Now rereadimg your quote, I'm wondering if I misunderstood what you said because of your sentence's triple negative. But if I misunderstood, then I still don't understand how your position is different from Lee's
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Not on the list, but it should be:

"It is well that war is so terrible -- otherwise we should grow too fond of it."

Robert E. Lee
    What makes a great quote is that it makes a salient point and it makes it well. The problem with this quote, though I understand and agree with the point, it that it doesn't say it very well. If war weren't so terrible there'd be no reason not to grow fond of it.
    As I said, I agree Lee makes a good point, he just doesn't do it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Because you stated that people grow fond of war because of how terrible it is, rather than inspite of it. That's actually a very different sentiment from what Lee intended. Lee's quote referred to his fondness for the camaraderie that builds between soldiers serving together, particularly among his senior officer corps.

I was curious about your point of reference for making your comment.

Now rereadimg your quote, I'm wondering if I misunderstood what you said because of your sentence's triple negative. But if I misunderstood, then I still don't understand how your position is different from Lee's
    I never said people grow fond of war because it's terrible and I never disagreed with Lee's sentiment. I merely said he didn't state it well. In my mind, that disqualifies it as a great quote--but not as a valid point.
    Again, if war wasn't bad, why shouldn't anyone grow fond of it?

To answer your question, I was in the Navy from '81 - '89. I'm grateful I never saw action because was is terrible and I am not fond of it.

All Legend

How could he have said it better?

To your question:

Again, if war wasn't bad, why shouldn't anyone grow fond of it?
    I think his point was that some of the ancillary things about war make it appealing to human nature, but luckily those appeals are outweighed by the brutality and negative consequences of war.

In other words, if it were any less terrible, people might be more willing to engage in it. It's an eloquent point.

Incidentally, that is a sentiment that supports the notion we should avoid things like UAVs and other weapons that make war less visible and "terrible" for those that wage it.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”