Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: VJ Day, Honolulu Hawaii, August 14, 1945 (newly discovered film)

Thumbs up VJ Day, Honolulu Hawaii, August 14, 1945 (newly discovered film)

Some amazing film....

67 Years Ago my Dad shot this film along Kalakaua Ave. in Waikiki capturing spontaneous celebrations that broke out upon first hearing news of the Japanese surrender. Kodachrome 16mm film: God Bless Kodachrome, right?
    http://vimeo.com/5645171
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Recruit
    A great find! Thanks for sharing!
    "I'm not allowed to argue with you until you've paid."

All Big 10
    That is really cool. Shot in color. That is some of the best actual footage of the era I have ever seen.

My dad was still on the Yorktown on that day, heading for Tokyo. But anyone of the young men in that video might have been him. I'm going to show that to my daughters right now.

Thanks for sharing that.
    Moving on...

Welcome Coach Riley! Go Big Red!!!

Very cool!
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

Glad y'all liked it....I showed it to my daugher because her grandfather served in the pacific in WWII and at 19 she even found it to be fascinating.....

Wonder how many more films like this are lying around in some attic or garage?

Red Shirt
    Cool vid. Can't believe how much Waikiki has changed. I live about two blocks off Kalakaua Ave. Can pick out the Moana Surf Rider for sure in that video but about everything else has changed.
    "Troubled childhood? Troubled childhood? Yeah, if you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled." Chazz Michael Michaels

All Legend
    Great find! I just love the automobiles and trucks. Not to mention the true beauty of the ladies and the island surroundings. It's just so real. Filled with emotion rarely seen today.
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (29-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

I went their the first time in 1988 and it has changed as you know over the past 25 or years a ton....

Quote Originally Posted by waikikisker View Post
    Cool vid. Can't believe how much Waikiki has changed. I live about two blocks off Kalakaua Ave. Can pick out the Moana Surf Rider for sure in that video but about everything else has changed.

Yeah me too....those rumble seats and the 'woody' you see briefly....

Seems like another world....and very cool...

Quote Originally Posted by BuffSurveyor View Post
    Great find! I just love the automobiles and trucks. Not to mention the true beauty of the ladies and the island surroundings. It's just so real. Filled with emotion rarely seen today.

Holy Crap, that was tremendous footage, the quality of the video was amazing, great find RR.

Husker Immortal
    Great movie. My Dad was on occupation duty around Northern Japan a month after this film was shot. He was in the Philippines when the movie was shot.