Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: out or homer?

out or homer?

What say you?

Originally Posted by Merle
    OUT!! I haven't the slightest idea what this is all about.
    This is a questionable call...it depends on how you apply the rules...it's a judgement call. As you can see some have called it a homer, others have called it an out.

There is NO DOUBT that it was a great catch...but the question stills stands...is it an OUT or HOME RUN? The rules are very vague, not concise/clear cut regarding this.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y20...eballRules.pdf

Refer to Rule 6.05a:
    6.05 A batter is out when—
    (a) His fair or foul fly ball (other than a foul tip) is legally caught by a fielder;
    Rule 6.05(a) Comment: A fielder may reach into, but not step into, a dugout to make a catch,
    and if he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. A fielder, in order to make a catch on a foul ball
    nearing a dugout or other out-of-play area (such as the stands), must have one or both feet on or over
    the playing surface
    (including the lip of the dugout) and neither foot on the ground inside the dugout
    or in any other out-of-play area
    . Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, falls
    into a dugout or other out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead. Status of runners shall be as
    described in Rule 7.04(c) Comment.

This is where the issue is...we all know he "caught" the ball...but is it really an out since he didn't have a feet or both on the playing surface? unless his foot was touching the invisible vertical plane of the actual playing field?

Husker Fan

Homer

Blackshirt
    Huskers Uber Alles

Husker Immortal
    Homer

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." C. S. Lewis

Rollin' Huskers
    Wherever our RV is parked - currently Stonewall Texas
    Homer of course
    GBR
    Badger by birth - Husker by choice !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Merle View Post
    This is a questionable call...it depends on how you apply the rules...it's a judgement call. As you can see some have called it a homer, others have called it an out.

There is NO DOUBT that it was a great catch...but the question stills stands...is it an OUT or HOME RUN? The rules are very vague, not concise/clear cut regarding this.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y20...eballRules.pdf

Refer to Rule 6.05a:
    6.05 A batter is out when—
    (a) His fair or foul fly ball (other than a foul tip) is legally caught by a fielder;
    Rule 6.05(a) Comment: A fielder may reach into, but not step into, a dugout to make a catch,
    and if he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. A fielder, in order to make a catch on a foul ball
    nearing a dugout or other out-of-play area (such as the stands), must have one or both feet on or over
    the playing surface
    (including the lip of the dugout) and neither foot on the ground inside the dugout
    or in any other out-of-play area
    . Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, falls
    into a dugout or other out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead. Status of runners shall be as
    described in Rule 7.04(c) Comment.
    This is where the issue is...we all know he "caught" the ball...but is it really an out since he didn't have a feet or both on the playing surface? unless his foot was touching the invisible vertical plane of the actual playing field?

no one cares? interesting.

Enjoy the Ride
    Out

Enjoy the Ride
    I assume you are talking about the catch where the outfielder sails over the short wall while making the catch. It looked to me like his feet were still over the playing field when he actullay caught the ball. His momentum carried him past the playing field. OUT

Quote Originally Posted by 4qtrhsker View Post
    I assume you are talking about the catch where the outfielder sails over the short wall while making the catch. It looked to me like his feet were still over the playing field when he actullay caught the ball. His momentum carried him past the playing field. OUT
    don't they have to be on the ground or? does an imaginary vertical plane come into play?

its a home run

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    no one cares? interesting.
    You realize you didn't link anything in the original post, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post
    You realize you didn't link anything in the original post, right?
    post #6...besides the point the link was there originally in the OP. I don't know what happened to it. I reposted it.

Blackshirt
    Now that I have seen it, I know what you are talking about now. Now I say out anyway. If the guy catches it, it should be an out, no matter the ground rules.
    Huskers Uber Alles

Calling The Count
    Homer
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

...certified in something
    ....out, you see that all the time with foul balls ...his legs appeared to be insode the playing field as he caught it. If the walls were higher, it would have been a routine jumper...ive seen that a few times with the extremely low center-right field wall the Oakland A's had...it was always an out then
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

Scout Team
    Arlington, TX ... home of the Arlington Cowboys and Jerry's World!!
    Somewhere in the 4-5 second part, it looks like the kids legs are casting a shadow on the top of the fence while holding the baseball in his glove. I'd say out, but thats with benefit of the video (and if I really am seeing shadows). I'm with Merle on this, that great a catch... I'd call it an out unless the kid is touching something out of bounds.
    12/02/07

7/1/11

"To love another person is to see the face of God" Victor Hugo

Husker Fan

Anyone know what the real answer is?

Husker Immortal
    Without going over all the opinions, that is an OUT! If he makes original contact with the ball, before it goes over, it is a home run. As you can see, he made the catch after he was over the low rail.

I saw that live, and they explained it just like that. Case closed.... no guessing, no opinions.
    GO BIG RED!