Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: USMNT cuts 4 to make 23-man squad

Exclamation USMNT cuts 4 to make 23-man squad

These guys were brought in for a look see for the most part so not a big surprise....in the case of Agudelo he had started only two games this season so I think this was more of a shot in the arm for him and to let him know he was still in the plans....his move to Chivas USA is a good one as he will start week in and week out with a great young coach (and former USMNT defender) Robin Frasier (former #1 under Jason Kries at RSL and a GREAT person)....

Zusi and Williams both have bright USMNT futures....

Now Joe Coroan made the 23... .....very impressive....he was the star of the Olympic qualifying squad....

Grant Wahl@GrantWahlUSMNT cuts 4 to make 23-man squad http://ussoc.cr/JBR5QF Out: Agudelo, Morales, Zusi, Williams
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

All Big 10
    U.S. TRAVEL ROSTER BY POSITION

MLS Players in red

GOALKEEPERS:
    Brad Guzan (Aston Villa)
    Tim Howard (Everton)
    Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS:
    Carlos Bocanegra (Rangers)
    Geoff Cameron (Houston Dynamo)
    Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana)
    Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96)
    Clarence Goodson (Brondby)
    Oguchi Onyewu (Sporting Lisbon)
    Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland)

MIDFIELDERS:
    Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake)
    Michael Bradley (Chievo Verona)
    Joe Corona (Club Tijuana)
    Maurice Edu (Rangers)
    Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim)
    Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04)
    Jose Torres (Pachuca)

FORWARDS:
    Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar)
    Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund)
    Clint Dempsey (Fulham)
    Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy)
    Herculez Gomez (Santos)
    Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
    You never stand so tall as when you kneel to help a child.

There are a lot of years on that backline. Boca, Dolo, Gooch, Goodson are all 30+. Makes me a little nervous for the 2014 WC. I like the mix of ages at midfield and forward. Hopefully there were legit reasons for Ream and Lichaj not being with the team, like injuries, or club wishes, because this team will need at least one of them to step up and be a solid defender leading up to 2014.

Ream and Gonzo (out with knee surgery) should be the next up 'n' coming central defender's....and both are young and have great promise...

Interesting in that Goch (13 May) and Goodson (17 May) just turned 30 this year......so not quite as dire as it looks in cerntral defense age wise that is...

Lichaj & Ream Klinsy explained why he left them off in the other thread I posted.....yet Castillio was brought in again...and that one baffles me....

Gonzo is another guy who needs to be in this mix too when he returns from his knee surgery next season....LA has been hurt too with him out....MLS Defender of the year in 2011....

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    There are a lot of years on that backline. Boca, Dolo, Gooch, Goodson are all 30+. Makes me a little nervous for the 2014 WC. I like the mix of ages at midfield and forward. Hopefully there were legit reasons for Ream and Lichaj not being with the team, like injuries, or club wishes, because this team will need at least one of them to step up and be a solid defender leading up to 2014.

I've got no problem with 30+ year olds being a key part of the USMNT 2014 WC roster, but it's not unrealistic to say the US will be playing an all 30+ backline for a good portion of their upcoming matches. That to me isn't a good thing. Also, IMO, Gooch is an old 30 year old. I knew when I first saw him play that when in his "prime" he was going to be really good, but he would quickly fall off the table when those "prime" years were behind him. His size was great when he was younger, but it was also going to be his downfall as he got older. I just had a feeling he wouldn't age gracefully, like smaller/quicker backs do. Dolo is 3 years older than Gooch, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dolo makes Gooch look like the older guy out there over the upcoming matches.

If they can still play and they are the best option them so be it....not unusual....look at England....

Gooch actually had a great year in Portugal this season until he had the minor knee problem.....maybe the best of his career...so I disagree....his knees have been his problem....

I've got no problem with 30+ year olds being a key part of the USMNT 2014 WC roster, but it's not unrealistic to say the US will be playing an all 30+ backline for a good portion of their upcoming matches. That to me isn't a good thing. Also, IMO, Gooch is an old 30 year old. I knew when I first saw him play that when in his "prime" he was going to be really good, but he would quickly fall off the table when those "prime" years were behind him. His size was great when he was younger, but it was also going to be his downfall as he got older. I just had a feeling he wouldn't age gracefully, like smaller/quicker backs do. Dolo is 3 years older than Gooch, but it wouldn't surprise me if Dolo makes Gooch look like the older guy out there over the upcoming matches.

These guys probably are the best available, and that's my problem. It's the fact that the US will go out with 4 30+ year olds in defense. Hopefully, Lichaj and Ream can get into form by 2014, so there will be some youth and experienced mixed into the back line (which, IMO is how a backline should be situated).

I'm not 100% sure on how Gooch has injured his knees in the past, but I would have to think his size may have played a factor in some of those knee injuries. I don't hate the guy, I just am frustrated that there aren't viable younger guys ready to take things over.

There are young guys (early 20's) ready to take over at mid and forward, but that's not the case for defenders, unless Ream and Lichaj step it up.

Once again disagree....Gonzo and Ream are going to get a shot as are a few of our U-23 guys...still time to tinker a bit here and there...

Lichaj and Ream are not out of form now....Lichaj played the last 10 games of the season after a nagging injury and Ream played 14 games in the EPL after a mid-season transfer....I think both are going to be in teh mix big time....Klinsy has his reasons for not calling them in this time....his call....

He tore his knee the first time against Honduras when we qualifed for the 2010....very serious injury was that one...took him abotu 18 months to come back fully which is why he was ineffective in the WC...he just was not ready.....second minor tear was in Portugal this season....

There are younger guys....up to the coach to call them in....thats on him.....

I will say it again....don't overlook Gonzo one he is back to fitness....MLS defender of the year in 2011.....and there are some U-23 guys with promise....

Klinsy's call who plays....

These guys probably are the best available, and that's my problem. It's the fact that the US will go out with 4 30+ year olds in defense. Hopefully, Lichaj and Ream can get into form by 2014, so there will be some youth and experienced mixed into the back line (which, IMO is how a backline should be situated).

I'm not 100% sure on how Gooch has injured his knees in the past, but I would have to think his size may have played a factor in some of those knee injuries. I don't hate the guy, I just am frustrated that there aren't viable younger guys ready to take things over.

There are young guys (early 20's) ready to take over at mid and forward, but that's not the case for defenders, unless Ream and Lichaj step it up.

Now that I've got that all off my chest

I'm interested to see what Edgar Castillo can do. Hopefully he'll be able to add some speed to the back. I'm also looking forward to the form of Edu. He seemed to have so much promise a few years ago, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Bradley has blown past him. He's had a lot of playing time at Rangers the past two years, so hopefully thing are on the upswing for him. Also, I hope to see what Terrence Boyd can do up front. It'll probably be tough for him to see much significant PT, especially when Dempsey gets back, but 20 goals in 32 apps is pretty promising, even if it was on a clubs reserve team.

Edit: For some reason I didn't put 2+2 together to figure out Boyd played for Borussia Dortmund's reserve team. So put that anticipation level up a few notches.

Castillio has already showed what he can do at international level and he was awful....too small and over matched and his judgement leaves lots to be desired too....

Now that I've got that all off my chest

I'm interested to see what Edgar Castillo can do. Hopefully he'll be able to add some speed to the back. I'm also looking forward to the form of Edu. He seemed to have so much promise a few years ago, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Bradley has blown past him. He's had a lot of playing time at Rangers the past two years, so hopefully thing are on the upswing for him. Also, I hope to see what Terrence Boyd can do up front. It'll probably be tough for him to see much significant PT, especially when Dempsey gets back, but 20 goals in 32 apps is pretty promising, even if it was on a clubs reserve team.

Edit: For some reason I didn't put 2+2 together to figure out Boyd played for Borussia Dortmund's reserve team. So put that anticipation level up a few notches.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Castillio has already showed what he can do at international level and he was awful....too small and over matched and his judgement leaves lots to be desired too....
    Well, that doesn't make me feel a whole lot better about how things are in defense.

He was plain awful....makes poor decisions in such basic things as passsing the ball and is often out of place alot of the time and is build doesn't help him as bigger players take advantage of him....his only + that I have seen is he fast...there is a reason Mexico only invited him for friendlies.....before he made the one-time switch to the USMNT....

Well, that doesn't make me feel a whole lot better about how things are in defense.