Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It must be slam School Adminstrator week

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it seem that the "lawsuits" of liability/malpractice started to really take off after that McDonald's coffee case? I don't really remember any "major" frivilous lawsuits prior to that case then it seemed to be commonplace after that? thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dead Redemption View Post
    McDonald's provides medical care? I missed that.
    He is talking about the lady that spilled her own coffee on her. She won several million lawsuit over it. I agree, I think that is the case that made people believe they could do it as well. I think if you did looser pay laws in civil cases and a cap on pain and suffering up to a million. Then payouts to cover anything proven to be lost. Like a receipt for medical bills would be paid for if the case was won.

FYI, McDonald's will be one of the biggest companies to drop heath care once Obama care starts

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Interesting track. Some thoughts...

McDonald's was aware that the temperature of it's coffee would burn skin but still served it at near boiling. The lady who sued was 79 years old. Google it.

I have always found it disturbing that school administrators and policemen should have world views that place others in subservience to themselves. They are there to serve the public, not the other way around.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Sage View Post

McDonald's was aware that the temperature of it's coffee would burn skin but still served it at near boiling. The lady who sued was 79 years old. Google it.

I have always found it disturbing that school administrators and policemen should have world views that place others in subservience to themselves. They are there to serve the public, not the other way around.
    No one is saying she did not have the right to sue and win money. She did not have the right to win what she did. Maybe all her medical bills covered and any plastic to cover the scars.

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    He is talking about the lady that spilled her own coffee on her. She won several million lawsuit over it. I agree, I think that is the case that made people believe they could do it as well. I think if you did looser pay laws in civil cases and a cap on pain and suffering up to a million. Then payouts to cover anything proven to be lost. Like a receipt for medical bills would be paid for if the case was won.
    Yah, I knew what he was referring to there, but I didn't see how it aligned with his first post (or at least how I interpreted it), which I thought was a dig on EMS about how they'd have fewer lawsuits to worry about if they were better at their jobs to begin with (since he made similar dig on cops later in the thread). Maybe it was just a joke (since he later added a smiley after his cop dig). Or if he meant as you said, limiting the size of award/damages, then I guess it makes more sense. But is that something that EMS can even control?
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dead Redemption View Post
    Yah, I knew what he was referring to there, but I didn't see how it aligned with his first post (or at least how I interpreted it), which I thought was a dig on EMS about how they'd have fewer lawsuits to worry about if they were better at their jobs to begin with (since he made similar dig on cops later in the thread). Maybe it was just a joke (since he later added a smiley after his cop dig). Or if he meant as you said, limiting the size of award/damages, then I guess it makes more sense. But is that something that EMS can even control?
    We can't limit the damages. We can do everything right by the book but since the Jury awards the money in most cases it depends on how well the lawyer tugged on there heart strings. >>
    >>
    All they have to prove is we did not do enough. the issue is for us, it is very hard to prove in a court of law that there was nothing else we could do. Just look at Katrina, EMS and Fire tried everything but the politicians were involved and prevented EMS and Fire from doing there job in some cases. We were limited down there. But yet someone could sue and probably win saying they were not helped enough. The doctors in the Hospital (downtown NO) were sued for letting the older people in the Hospital die and using what resources they had to keep the young healthy during the flooding. >>
    >>
    Those MD's on duty that day should have never went to court, that is what it says to do in the text book. But they had to defend themselves in a court and pay a lawyer to do it. (the MD's did win there case)>>

Administrator
    This is just one side but if true another example of Schools overreacting.

A Florida high school student who complained to officials about the bullying she witnessed on a school bus is now being labeled a bully herself.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/27...#ixzz1w7W47JB5

then curtail it by limiting malpractice/liability lawsuits.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Sage View Post

Yes.

No one is saying she did not have the right to sue and win money. She did not have the right to win what she did. Maybe all her medical bills covered and any plastic to cover the scars.
    The jury decided she had the right to win that amount of the award.

Civil liability is a vital tool in our society to holding one another accountable for conduct. If a person correctly performs their duties, no problems. If not, then they should make amends for their bad conduct. We have decided that money is the way to go; I suppose tort reform proponents would prefer our society instead starts chopping off hands and removing tongues.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by BasilLongfellow View Post
    No.

Yes.

The jury decided she had the right to win that amount of the award.

Civil liability is a vital tool in our society to holding one another accountable for conduct. If a person correctly performs their duties, no problems. If not, then they should make amends for their bad conduct. We have decided that money is the way to go; I suppose tort reform proponents would prefer our society instead starts chopping off hands and removing tongues.

HOW BOUT ACCEPTING DAMN RESPONSIBILITY FOR ONE'S OWN ACTIONS INSTEAD OF SEEKING OUT OTHERS TO BLAME???? THERE LIES SOCIETY'S ISSUES.

Husker Fan

excerement happens, sue...car wreck, sue...sue sue sue sue sue, we're a happy sue society...so friking sick of it.

HOW BOUT ACCEPTING DAMN RESPONSIBILITY FOR ONE'S OWN ACTIONS INSTEAD OF SEEKING OUT OTHERS TO BLAME???? THERE LIES SOCIETY'S ISSUES.
    You are exactly right. When a person causes harm to another person, they should take responsibility. When they do not take responsibility, as you have correctly pointed out is a problem with society, the remedy is to sue.

I'm glad we agree that there should not be tort reform so that people will take responsibility for their actions.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilLongfellow View Post
    You are exactly right. When a person causes harm to another person, they should take responsibility. When they do not take responsibility, as you have correctly pointed out is a problem with society, the remedy is to sue.

I'm glad we agree that there should not be tort reform so that people will take responsibility for their actions.
    I disagree, a spilled coffee is not worth millions of dollars. All medical care covered including plastic to cover burn wounds and free coffee for life. But not millions of $$$$$.

I disagree, a spilled coffee is not worth millions of dollars. All medical care covered including plastic to cover burn wounds and free coffee for life. But not millions of $$$$$.
    How much are third degree burns on the genitals worth?

Or poised another way, how much would you request in payment in order to voluntarily submit yourself to the following:

1) Dumping scalding liquid causing third degree burns to your genitals?
    2) Enduring 8 days of skin grafts on your genitals?

I would want more than 800k to endure those experiences, which is the top estimate of what Ms. Liebeck received.

Administrator

It must be slam School Adminstrator week

She should get all medical care paid for including follow up and plastic to fix anything. Cap on pain and suffering should be around a million. Your idea to things is millions of millions $$$ is what people should get. That causes people and lawyers to ambulance chase. That taxes the system and drives up the cost of the system to the tax payer.

She should get all medical care paid for including follow up and plastic to fix anything. Cap on pain and suffering should be around a million. Your idea to things is millions of millions $$$ is what people should get. That causes people and lawyers to ambulance chase. That taxes the system and drives up the cost of the system to the tax payer.
    I never said that people should get millions and millions of dollars. I believe people should have a right to seek rememdies when another person has interefered with their life.

We all have a right to live a life free from the tortious interference of others. When others interefere with our lives, we are entitled to seek remedy. If that remedy is a million dollars, so be it. A cap on damages ENCOURAGES negligent behavior. It is not the lawyers and victims that cause the problem, it is the tortfeasors.

Additionally, filing a lawsuit is not driving "up the cost of the system". Instead, it is using the system. The third branch of government, the judiciary, is designed to resolve disputes. A lawsuit resolves disputes. Your position is tantamount to saying that people should not vote because voting drives up the cost of the legislative system.

Lastly, you belive that there should be a cap on pain and suffering of a million dollars, but you haven't responded to my question: Would you voluntarily endure scalding liquid causing third degree burns to your genitals and 8 days of skin grafts on your genitals for one million dollars?

Society Crazy Indeed
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it seem that the "lawsuits" of liability/malpractice started to really take off after that McDonald's coffee case? I don't really remember any "major" frivilous lawsuits prior to that case then it seemed to be commonplace after that? thoughts?
    McDonalds wasnt frivolous anytime something can cause 3rd degree burns should be cause for concern

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.