Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It must be slam School Adminstrator week

Oh my!

It must be slam School Adminstrator week

Not giving him the inhaler is one thing, but locking the door and not calling 911 at least to get someone who can help this student without the need to have a signed paper is a far different level of dileberate and almost criminal neglect.
    In the Florida case, the situation was left to the nurse, and the nurse's solution was to lock the door. She did not call 911. She left this child to whatever might come of the asthma episode.

So what do you do if your child needs lifesaving medication? Can you trust the schools to be certain they will value the life of your child over rules and regulations? If you look at Rudi's situation, it seems the answer is no.
    http://news.yahoo.com/school-nurse-d...183100040.html
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Administrator

I have been doing the fire EMS thing for almost 15 years. At this point almost everything we do is based off liability, more and more people are letting liability trump care of the patent.

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Blackshirt

Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    I have been doing the fire EMS thing for almost 15 years. At this point almost everything we do is based off liability, more and more people are letting liability trump care of the patent.
    Not sure exactly what you mean when you say "more and more people are letting liability trump care of the patient."
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

Administrator

New guys just getting out of school. The fire service is changing, what that nurse did should never cross her mind. The new people are letting stuff like that cross there mind.

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

then curtail it by limiting malpractice/liability lawsuits.

It's the same story in the police field. New cops worry about getting sued rather than doing what's right, safe, legal, and/or proper.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

Quote Originally Posted by redmachine View Post
    It's the same story in the police field. New cops worry about getting sued rather than doing what's right, safe, legal, and/or proper.
    if they wouldn't abuse their privileges and be an UBER-COP, maybe the backlash wouldn't be so severe.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    if they wouldn't abuse their privileges and be an UBER-COP, maybe the backlash wouldn't be so severe.
    And there ya have it. That's why cops get hurt each year. The fear of someone who knows nothing about the job labeling them as abusive and filing a lawsuit.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

Intellectual Patriot
    I smell vinegar.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

God of Huskermax

Yeah. Cause all of them are like that.

Head Lackey
    then curtail it by limiting malpractice/liability lawsuits.
    Gee, that's a great idea -- fewer lawsuits. I wonder who's responsibility that might be?
    (hint: it's not the lawyers)
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Intellectual Patriot
    So, the perfect stereotype would be a Black Gay Cop that wouldnt know whether to beat himself up or protect his own right to marriage?
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dead Redemption View Post
    Gee, that's a great idea -- fewer lawsuits. I wonder who's responsibility that would be?
    (hint: it's not the lawyers)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it seem that the "lawsuits" of liability/malpractice started to really take off after that McDonald's coffee case? I don't really remember any "major" frivilous lawsuits prior to that case then it seemed to be commonplace after that? thoughts?

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    So, the perfect stereotype would be a Black Gay Cop that wouldnt know whether to beat himself up or protect his own right to marriage?
    That's ridonkulus. No one's ever heard of a black gay cop.

Head Lackey
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it seem that the "lawsuits" of liability/malpractice started to really take off after that McDonald's coffee case? I don't really remember any "major" frivilous lawsuits prior to that case then it seemed to be commonplace after that? thoughts?
    McDonald's provides medical care? I missed that.

Administrator
    McDonald's provides medical care? I missed that.
    He is talking about the lady that spilled her own coffee on her. She won several million lawsuit over it. I agree, I think that is the case that made people believe they could do it as well. I think if you did looser pay laws in civil cases and a cap on pain and suffering up to a million. Then payouts to cover anything proven to be lost. Like a receipt for medical bills would be paid for if the case was won.

FYI, McDonald's will be one of the biggest companies to drop heath care once Obama care starts

Interesting track. Some thoughts...

McDonald's was aware that the temperature of it's coffee would burn skin but still served it at near boiling. The lady who sued was 79 years old. Google it.

I have always found it disturbing that school administrators and policemen should have world views that place others in subservience to themselves. They are there to serve the public, not the other way around.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Sage View Post
    Interesting track. Some thoughts...

McDonald's was aware that the temperature of it's coffee would burn skin but still served it at near boiling. The lady who sued was 79 years old. Google it.

I have always found it disturbing that school administrators and policemen should have world views that place others in subservience to themselves. They are there to serve the public, not the other way around.
    No one is saying she did not have the right to sue and win money. She did not have the right to win what she did. Maybe all her medical bills covered and any plastic to cover the scars.

Head Lackey
    He is talking about the lady that spilled her own coffee on her. She won several million lawsuit over it. I agree, I think that is the case that made people believe they could do it as well. I think if you did looser pay laws in civil cases and a cap on pain and suffering up to a million. Then payouts to cover anything proven to be lost. Like a receipt for medical bills would be paid for if the case was won.
    Yah, I knew what he was referring to there, but I didn't see how it aligned with his first post (or at least how I interpreted it), which I thought was a dig on EMS about how they'd have fewer lawsuits to worry about if they were better at their jobs to begin with (since he made similar dig on cops later in the thread). Maybe it was just a joke (since he later added a smiley after his cop dig). Or if he meant as you said, limiting the size of award/damages, then I guess it makes more sense. But is that something that EMS can even control?

Administrator
    Yah, I knew what he was referring to there, but I didn't see how it aligned with his first post (or at least how I interpreted it), which I thought was a dig on EMS about how they'd have fewer lawsuits to worry about if they were better at their jobs to begin with (since he made similar dig on cops later in the thread). Maybe it was just a joke (since he later added a smiley after his cop dig). Or if he meant as you said, limiting the size of award/damages, then I guess it makes more sense. But is that something that EMS can even control?
    We can't limit the damages. We can do everything right by the book but since the Jury awards the money in most cases it depends on how well the lawyer tugged on there heart strings. >>
    >>
    All they have to prove is we did not do enough. the issue is for us, it is very hard to prove in a court of law that there was nothing else we could do. Just look at Katrina, EMS and Fire tried everything but the politicians were involved and prevented EMS and Fire from doing there job in some cases. We were limited down there. But yet someone could sue and probably win saying they were not helped enough. The doctors in the Hospital (downtown NO) were sued for letting the older people in the Hospital die and using what resources they had to keep the young healthy during the flooding. >>
    >>
    Those MD's on duty that day should have never went to court, that is what it says to do in the text book. But they had to defend themselves in a court and pay a lawyer to do it. (the MD's did win there case)>>