Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: republican Governors be Obama's best friend ?

  1. #1
    Junior Varsity
    Lakewood Husker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    lakewood,ca
    Posts
    5,381

    republican Governors be Obama's best friend ?

    On Fox News today, Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R) commented on the electoral implications of Ohio's big drop in unemployment.

    "Look, when the economy improves, it certainly helps the incumbent.

    But anybody who would be rooting against an improved economy has got something wrong with him. I mean, we're not in this business to root for failure for my state or for the country."


    That being said, he pointed to his policies; not Barack Obama's as the secret to his state's success.

    "We've enacted a lot of policies here that are very similar to the policies that Mitt Romney wants to carry out."


    In July 2009, the state unemployment rate was 10.6%, but by last month, it had dropped to 7.4%.

    Ohio is one of those states where an improving economy threatens Romney's chances to win the state. Ironically, many of those states are steered by Republican governors, who are put in the awkward position of being bullish on their state's gains and bearish on Obama's first and, potentially, second term.






  2. #2
    Guest

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Papillion, NE
    Posts
    3,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    "Look, when the economy improves, it certainly helps the incumbent.

    But anybody who would be rooting against an improved economy has got something wrong with him. I mean, we're not in this business to root for failure for my state or for the country."
    I agree.

  3. #3
    Varsity
    Husker Mort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    In July 2009, the state unemployment rate was 10.6%, but by last month, it had dropped to 7.4%.

    Ohio is one of those states where an improving economy threatens Romney's chances to win the state. Ironically, many of those states are steered by Republican governors, who are put in the awkward position of being bullish on their state's gains and bearish on Obama's first and, potentially, second term.

    Are you arguing that the country's recovery played no role in the recovery of these states?
    "OK. Appreciate the info." Bo Pelini

  4. #4
    Junior Varsity
    Lakewood Husker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    lakewood,ca
    Posts
    5,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    Are you arguing that the country's recovery played no role in the recovery of these states?
    Please explain Illinois and Calif for me, maybe that would be a partial answer to your question

  5. #5
    Varsity
    Husker Mort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    Please explain Illinois and Calif for me, maybe that would be a partial answer to your question
    No, please, explain them to me.
    "OK. Appreciate the info." Bo Pelini

  6. #6
    The Tech Support Guy
    Huskermedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    21,910
    Obama has not helped Ohio at all. We have done well here because Kasich is a fiscal conservative. If SB5 would have passed we would be doing even better. Hopefully we can get right to work and this state will just explode with new business.>>


    Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!



    Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)


  7. #7
    Blackshirt

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    Obama has not helped Ohio at all. We have done well here because Kasich is a fiscal conservative. If SB5 would have passed we would be doing even better. Hopefully we can get right to work and this state will just explode with new business.>>
    Not exactly true..

    http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/...take-credit-oh

    Are right to work states exploding with new business or did I miss something?
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

  8. #8
    The Tech Support Guy
    Huskermedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    21,910

    republican Governors be Obama's best friend ?

    A blog is all you got. That is so one sided it is not even funny. Ohio is doing well cause business are not afraid to invest anymore, Ohio has trimmed the fat in state government. Has started to reduce regulation on business as well.

    A strong middle class won't happen unless you have a strong job creator class. Which is what Ohio is doing.

    http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2012/05/18/ohio-unemployment-drops-again-to-74.html


    Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!



    Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)


  9. #9
    Blackshirt

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    A blog is all you got. That is so one sided it is not even funny. Ohio is doing well cause business are not afraid to invest anymore, Ohio has trimmed the fat in state government. Has started to reduce regulation on business as well. So what have you got? You dismiss the source without discussing the content and then offer only opinions about why Ohio is doing well.

    A strong middle class won't happen unless you have a strong job creator class. Which is what Ohio is doing.

    http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...ain-to-74.html
    Your bolded statement is demonstratively false. Trickle down economics (or what has been more aptly called "Vodoo economics") does not work. One thing that is helping Ohio is the fact that the auto industry and all the subsidiaries and suppliers are still alive thanks to the Obama administration.

    http://www.toledoblade.com/Editorial...ic-engine.html
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

  10. #10
    The Tech Support Guy
    Huskermedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    21,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Your bolded statement is demonstratively false. Trickle down economics (or what has been more aptly called "Vodoo economics") does not work. One thing that is helping Ohio is the fact that the auto industry and all the subsidiaries and suppliers are still alive thanks to the Obama administration.

    http://www.toledoblade.com/Editorial...ic-engine.html
    GM and Chrysler has not helped Ohio. GM and Chrysler buy it's self is way too small to effect the drop in unemployment State wide as much as we have seen. You could even say the Auto industry by it's self is too small. I think business (mostly small) do not fear the State Government anymore and are risking more cause the know they are going to be punished for making money.

    here is my non opinion editorial link:

    The state saw gains of about 2,900 jobs in government, 1,900 in professional and business services and 1,500 in education and health services.
    http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...e_down_fo.html

    GM and Chrysler are the "auto bail" out. Those two by themselves did not drop Ohio unemployment. Ohio has workers from every major auto producer in this country. We lost out to a lot of it when the previous Governor ( a dem) would not offer enough tax brakes to beat out Indian in a huge Honda plant.

    From your link:

    The auto industry supports 22 and 12.5 percent of all jobs in Michigan and Ohio, respectively. It generated $2.8 billion, or 13 percent, of Michigan's revenue in 2010, and $3.9 billion, or 17 percent, of Ohio's.
    I hope you understand that the bold part includes all of the auto industry. Not just two companies that sold out to an overseas company.


    Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!



    Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)


  11. #11
    Varsity
    Husker Mort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    Obama has not helped Ohio at all. We have done well here because Kasich is a fiscal conservative. If SB5 would have passed we would be doing even better. Hopefully we can get right to work and this state will just explode with new business.>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    GM and Chrysler has not helped Ohio. GM and Chrysler buy it's self is way too small to effect the drop in unemployment State wide as much as we have seen. You could even say the Auto industry by it's self is too small. I think business (mostly small) do not fear the State Government anymore and are risking more cause the know they are going to be punished for making money.
    I'm not quite sure what Ohio you are speaking of, but it is certainly not the one that I live in. The State was in recovery mode long before any of Kasich's policies, shady economic development groups that operate outside the law (Jobs Ohio), or privatization of state assets (liquor board, turnpike, prisons) were able to take effect and his divisive agenda has done little more than to pass the buck onto local municipalities that will be forced to pass levies in order to maintain basic public safety and education standards. And since we've entered the Norquist era where taxation is evil in any form, we could see a hollowing out of our schools and public services in the very near future.

    But maybe we could meet up in Columbus sometime and have a beer to find some middle ground.
    "OK. Appreciate the info." Bo Pelini

  12. #12
    The Tech Support Guy
    Huskermedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    21,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    I'm not quite sure what Ohio you are speaking of, but it is certainly not the one that I live in. The State was in recovery mode long before any of Kasich's policies, shady economic development groups that operate outside the law (Jobs Ohio), or privatization of state assets (liquor board, turnpike, prisons) were able to take effect and his divisive agenda has done little more than to pass the buck onto local municipalities that will be forced to pass levies in order to maintain basic public safety and education standards. And since we've entered the Norquist era where taxation is evil in any form, we could see a hollowing out of our schools and public services in the very near future.

    But maybe we could meet up in Columbus sometime and have a beer to find some middle ground.
    Yes, my fire department may suffer from forcing the locals to take responsibility with the taxpayers money. But that is becuase (at least in the Cincinnati area) the locals have relied too much on the state for paying for the programs (fire, police, education.......) that the local tax base could not afford. In fact one fire department just laid off 27 guys because they lost state funding and they had run up a 2.7 million defect.

    In Hamilton county we have 49 fire departments and 49 fire chiefs. Some of these fire departments only cover a square mile. Yet the tax's to pay for it are very high for the locals. So why don't we merge services to save some $$$. With the polices Kasich's has put in place it is forcing locals to be responsible for once with there money. That is the right move.

    I am in Columbus a few times a year, was trying to get up there for the big ten BB tourney. Anyway I am all for a beer and I am sure we can find middle ground. I am very good at that.


    Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!



    Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)


  13. #13
    Varsity
    Husker Mort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    10,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    Yes, my fire department may suffer from forcing the locals to take responsibility with the taxpayers money. But that is becuase (at least in the Cincinnati area) the locals have relied too much on the state for paying for the programs (fire, police, education.......) that the local tax base could not afford. In fact one fire department just laid off 27 guys because they lost state funding and they had run up a 2.7 million defect.

    In Hamilton county we have 49 fire departments and 49 fire chiefs. Some of these fire departments only cover a square mile. Yet the tax's to pay for it are very high for the locals. So why don't we merge services to save some $$$. With the polices Kasich's has put in place it is forcing locals to be responsible for once with there money. That is the right move.

    I am in Columbus a few times a year, was trying to get up there for the big ten BB tourney. Anyway I am all for a beer and I am sure we can find middle ground. I am very good at that.
    I don't disagree, Medic. But it wasn't part of the campaign and it hasn't been part of the political dialogue, so when the levies come to vote very few understand that they have become more responsible at the local level to make up for the state exodus. That state taxes remain the same after the Kasich shell game is evidence that the "fiscal conservative" has, actually, expanded the size of the State Government.

    We are up in the Cleve, but make our way to C-bus often. It would be cool to meet up at a B1G sporting event sometime. Thanks for your service.
    "OK. Appreciate the info." Bo Pelini







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •