Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: reveal true identity of posters?

reveal true identity of posters?

http://techland.time.com/2012/05/24/...ech/?hpt=hp_t2
    Watching faceless online passerby troll bloggers or mock fellow scribblers can be a drag, but what if legislators’ answer to online ne’er-do-wells was to ban anonymous comments from websites entirely? That’s what the state of New York is planning to do in identical bills — S.6779 and A.8688 – proposed by the New York State Assembly that would “amend the civil rights law” in order to “[protect] a person’s right to know who is behind an anonymous internet posting.”

The bill would require a web administrator to “upon request remove any comments posted on his or her web site by an anonymous poster unless such anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post and confirms that his or her IP address, legal name, and home address are accurate.” By “web site,” the bill means just what it seems to: Any New York-based website, including “social networks, blogs forums, message boards or any other discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages.”

Don't know why they need this; they can find out who your are if they really want to.

Blackshirt
    And here come the Lawyers they must see money somewhere!

More government FTW!

not really
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

reveal true identity of posters?

I hope they don't find out that my real name is CatholicHusker!

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post

I just hope they don't find out I post as BuffSurveyor from time to time, all hell could break loose.

Intellectual Patriot
    This is brutal. Last year I changed my last name to Chophusker.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Blackshirt

Bless You Luth, you will always be my Catholic Hero! to da pope!!!

Junior Varsity
    Posting behind your actual identity keeps the conversation constructive and the comments less extreme. Anonymity on the internet creates a no-limits atmosphere that only brings out the worst in many.
    "The purpose of argument, should not be victory, but progress." proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    Posting behind your actual identity keeps the conversation constructive and the comments less extreme. Anonymity on the internet creates a no-limits atmosphere that only brings out the worst in many.
    Anonymity also allows people living under oppressive regimes to discuss their "radical" and "extreme" ideas without having the thought police show up at the door that night. We actually like people to be able to do stuff like that in places like China and Iran, so I think it's best that we find more constructive ways to deal with people libeling each other online instead of trying to pass bills which according to the article have little to no constitutional ground to stand on.

Recruit
    I have a google place page where potential clients can find me. People can leave comments and rate my legal services. One idiot who has never met me, but who hates one former client, posted 3 slanderous reviews calling me a slimy lawyer and worse, wrote false crap about me and gave me 1 star. This happened 2 years ago. I have spent thousands of dollars trying to remove that garbage without success. Google won't remove them and no one can tell me who wrote the reviews. I am sure it has cost me business. I have a tech company which has been trying to clean this up without success, and we met yesterday to discuss my next move. I am going to have to sue Google. The anonymity of the net is not working in my favor. This is not a theoretical problem, it is a real problem.
    "I'm not allowed to argue with you until you've paid."

Agreed. I've already stated that you can check the hall of records in Nebraska and find me. I'm under "Big Red Rick", birth date 06/08/1957.

Or kind of like when the storyline had Mr. Wayne's identity revealed.

Blackshirt
    I'm a Lutheran and don't really know proper protocol.

But will we have to address you as "Father Husker" at tailgates?

That will seem odd.
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

Quote Originally Posted by BuffSurveyor View Post
    I'm a Lutheran and don't really know proper protocol.

But will we have to address you as "Father Husker" at tailgates?

That will seem odd.
    Yeah, really. Then what would Tom Osborne answer to?

Gunga galunga. Gunga....
    Quote Originally Posted by One Man Jury View Post
    I have a google place page where potential clients can find me. People can leave comments and rate my legal services. One idiot who has never met me, but who hates one former client, posted 3 slanderous reviews calling me a slimy lawyer and worse, wrote false crap about me and gave me 1 star. This happened 2 years ago. I have spent thousands of dollars trying to remove that garbage without success. Google won't remove them and no one can tell me who wrote the reviews. I am sure it has cost me business. I have a tech company which has been trying to clean this up without success, and we met yesterday to discuss my next move. I am going to have to sue Google. The anonymity of the net is not working in my favor. This is not a theoretical problem, it is a real problem.
    Also happens many times with competition/peers posting negative info to hurt reputation and business appeal.
    Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. - HawkeyeNation

All Legend
    This probably doesn't help. but anyone who uses anonymous online reviews as any kind of information, even heavily discounted, is either an idiot, or, putting it more charitably, has not thought it through. It is the same as making investments over the net with a Nigerian businessman. And I would consider anyone even referencing such evaluations in due diligence where they have any kind of fiduciary duty to be neglectful, at best.

I sometimes do scan such comments to see if there might be some nugget of useful detail information, but that is seldom the case.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    Anonymity also allows people living under oppressive regimes to discuss their "radical" and "extreme" ideas without having the thought police show up at the door that night. We actually like people to be able to do stuff like that in places like China and Iran, so I think it's best that we find more constructive ways to deal with people libeling each other online instead of trying to pass bills which according to the article have little to no constitutional ground to stand on.
    How do you suggest we accomplish that, Nishi?

My GOD, I agree with OMJ!!!! I hope you can get that fixed up -- had the same thing happen to me on EBay (terrible review from someone claiming I had bought lingerie from their company -- who buys lingerie on ebay?!?!). The interwebs are amazing and frustrating all at once.
    "The purpose of argument, should not be victory, but progress." proverb

How do you suggest we accomplish that, Nishi?
    From a legislative standpoint... we don't. Don't we already have legal avenues for defamation on the books? Subpoena for discovery of the user's identity and take them to court. Writing open-ended legislation like what this bill is (seriously, read it - it's awful) is not the way to fix the "problem" of people discussing their opinions online.