Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should Black People Tolerate This?

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Culture does not = race.
    Many different cultures within the black community. That would be like saying Jamaicans have the same culture as the Africans and so on. So I am definitely on the side it is a socioeconomic issue. As people are oppressed they will always fight their way out and it starts with the ones closest because it is their competition to possibly something better.
    Look at the war on drugs and what it has done to the black population...
    Very good points.

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    I tend to agree with you on the socioeconomic aspect, and I think (but am not certain) that general crime stats do back that up, if I remember right.
    Culture does not = race.
    Many different cultures within the black community. That would be like saying Jamaicans have the same culture as the Africans and so on. So I am definitely on the side it is a socioeconomic issue. As people are oppressed they will always fight their way out and it starts with the ones closest because it is their competition to possibly something better.
    Look at the war on drugs and what it has done to the black population...
    I understand that culture and race aren't the same thing, but we're talking about black culture in the United States. Sure, there are foreign cultures that are blended in to the black American culture, just as there are foreign cultures blended into the white, Asian, etc American cultures. The economic issues in some black communities is probably at least part of the factor, but there are plenty of poor people of all races.

Being poor doesn't cause a guy to pick up a gun and shoot someone from a different block of the neighborhood.

Being black/white/whatever doesn't cause a guy to pick up a gun and shoot someone from a different block of the neighborhood.

That's why I think it's a cultural thing. Money plays a part, but attitudes play a larger part. We can't always control our circumstances, but we always can control how we react to them.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    I understand that culture and race aren't the same thing, but we're talking about black culture in the United States. Sure, there are foreign cultures that are blended in to the black American culture, just as there are foreign cultures blended into the white, Asian, etc American cultures. The economic issues in some black communities is probably at least part of the factor, but there are plenty of poor people of all races.

Being poor doesn't cause a guy to pick up a gun and shoot someone from a different block of the neighborhood.

Being black/white/whatever doesn't cause a guy to pick up a gun and shoot someone from a different block of the neighborhood.

That's why I think it's a cultural thing. Money plays a part, but attitudes play a larger part. We can't always control our circumstances, but we always can control how we react to them.
    agree with what you say in part....
    here is a good article...http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/wicks3.html

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Blackshirt
    I don't think Obama would touch this issue for fear of losing votes. It's that touchy.
    I used to have superpowers.....but my therapist took them away...

Husker Fan

I'd vote for anyone be wherever they're on the political spectrum if they'd actually do stuff regardless of what happens "politically" and is for betterment of society as a whole-to hell with votes/popularity, etc etc.

agree with what you say in part....
    here is a good article...http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/wicks3.html
    Had me until the last paragraph, particularly:
    Eliminate the exceptions to freedom.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    Had me until the last paragraph, particularly:
    I would agree but using it in the context he was speaking...That sentence is true

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    I'd vote for anyone be wherever they're on the political spectrum if they'd actually do stuff regardless of what happens "politically" and is for betterment of society as a whole-to hell with votes/popularity, etc etc.

Modern day society would not tolerate your answer!

I would agree but using it in the context he was speaking...That sentence is true
    As suspicious as I am of government, the void created by a lack of government would be filled by the most vile, malicious, heinous people imaginable. The drug dealers would not be chased out of the street, they would end up owning them.