Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: I played around the creek edge and finally fell in.

Group B

Talking I played around the creek edge and finally fell in.

I ordered my smoker today. It wont be ready for 3 to 4 weeks. They are loaning me one for this holiday weekend. I am so stoked. I spent the past 6 months going back and forth between electric, bullet or egg smokers and cylinder smokers and ended up with the PM 75.

(removed link) will post pics later. forgot about advertising rules on board. oops!

Its big enough for what I want to do on most occasions. I can do a brisket, a couple of chickens and some ribs.

It has a high grade stainless ash tray that i can remove charcoal ash easily so it can double as a charcoal pit and a smoker. `

I am a total rookie when it comes to smoking so this could get interesting. My favorite smoked meats are, boston butts, chickens, turkey breast, and occasionally a good brisket. I am going to start with chicken and brisket for this weekend.
    That's not what he said you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English! - Johnny Ringo.

Oh my!
    Here is what I have, works pretty darn good and the temperature control makes things easy.

http://www.masterbuilt.com/prod-smokers-digital.html
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Oh my!
    I have a new one I am going to try, dry aging steaks.
    I got some advice from a buddy that these bags do just as good as cotton cloth or salt and are a lot easier to use. I have a set and am going to start a few aging this weekend.

http://www.drybagsteak.com/
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Big Red Fan!!!

Excellent! Let us know how you like it at the end of the season.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmy View Post
    I ordered my smoker today. It wont be ready for 3 to 4 weeks. They are loaning me one for this holiday weekend. I am so stoked. I spent the past 6 months going back and forth between electric, bullet or egg smokers and cylinder smokers and ended up with the PM 75.

(removed link) will post pics later. forgot about advertising rules on board. oops!

Its big enough for what I want to do on most occasions. I can do a brisket, a couple of chickens and some ribs.

It has a high grade stainless ash tray that i can remove charcoal ash easily so it can double as a charcoal pit and a smoker. `

I am a total rookie when it comes to smoking so this could get interesting. My favorite smoked meats are, boston butts, chickens, turkey breast, and occasionally a good brisket. I am going to start with chicken and brisket for this weekend.
    If you want any good recipes holler. I make THE best Cuban orange smoked pulled pork

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Group B

hope everybody had a fantastic memorial day with friends and family. Well, my first smoking experience is in the book. Other than getting my fire started and set it couldnt have went better. I read and asked tons of questions on just about everything except how long it takes to build and get your cooking temp set.

I didnt want to use charcoal lighter so i was having a hell of a time getting my fire started. This put me a little behind. I panicked and used too much charcoal and too much wood so my fire got going and was burning way too hot. I ended up having to take half the coals and half the wood out of my box in order to get my temp down to 225. Other than that, once I got my pit to 225, I was able to keep it there pretty easily the rest of night and into the day.

I got a smoke ring on my brisket, it wasnt as defined as I was hoping for but hey, it turned out juicy and the flavor was amazing. I smoked brisket, pork, and chicken with red oak as my base and pecan mixed in sparingly. My pork loin ended up with a beautiful 1/4 inch pink smoke ring. I was pretty exicted!

They let me borrow the next size up from the grill I ordered (they are sneaky) and I decided to upgrade to the larger pit after using it. In the long run, I think its is more versitle and I dont plan on buying another pit so I dont want any regrets.

Next up, 4th of July, I am going to try pulled pork and ribs.

That's not what he said you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English! - Johnny Ringo.

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W

hope everybody had a fantastic memorial day with friends and family. Well, my first smoking experience is in the book. Other than getting my fire started and set it couldnt have went better. I read and asked tons of questions on just about everything except how long it takes to build and get your cooking temp set.

I didnt want to use charcoal lighter so i was having a hell of a time getting my fire started. This put me a little behind. I panicked and used too much charcoal and too much wood so my fire got going and was burning way too hot. I ended up having to take half the coals and half the wood out of my box in order to get my temp down to 225. Other than that, once I got my pit to 225, I was able to keep it there pretty easily the rest of night and into the day.

I got a smoke ring on my brisket, it wasnt as defined as I was hoping for but hey, it turned out juicy and the flavor was amazing. I smoked brisket, pork, and chicken with red oak as my base and pecan mixed in sparingly. My pork loin ended up with a beautiful 1/4 inch pink smoke ring. I was pretty exicted!

They let me borrow the next size up from the grill I ordered (they are sneaky) and I decided to upgrade to the larger pit after using it. In the long run, I think its is more versitle and I dont plan on buying another pit so I dont want any regrets.

Next up, 4th of July, I am going to try pulled pork and ribs.

Sounds awesome! I smoked a brisket and my first turkey breast yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised by the turkey. I was a bit concerned because I only have one probe thermometer (and some instant read ones), and I had it in the brisket. It also cooked a little faster than I expected, and I was surprised when I checked the temp and found that it was time to take it off (well, I was about 3 degrees below my target, but close enough).

My only suggestion - from a novice to a novice - is to try making ribs once for yourself before making them for a group of people. I have only tried ribs once (my first time using the smoker), and I was pretty disappointed. I think they cooked WAY too fast. I am going to try again one of these days...

Blackshirt

Well, well, well! Yours will just about be broke in right when football season starts. Where's the tailgate going to be? We'll all be there for a sample.
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

Group B
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    Sounds awesome! I smoked a brisket and my first turkey breast yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised by the turkey. I was a bit concerned because I only have one probe thermometer (and some instant read ones), and I had it in the brisket. It also cooked a little faster than I expected, and I was surprised when I checked the temp and found that it was time to take it off (well, I was about 3 degrees below my target, but close enough).

My only suggestion - from a novice to a novice - is to try making ribs once for yourself before making them for a group of people. I have only tried ribs once (my first time using the smoker), and I was pretty disappointed. I think they cooked WAY too fast. I am going to try again one of these days...
    I want to do a turkey breast b4 thanksgiving. in texas we have a chain called Rudy's. I think their smoked turkey breast is the best I have ever had. I am going to purchase their rub and give it shot. What temp did you smoke your turkey breast at? I have heard that you end up with slimy skin if you smoke at low temps.

Ayyy!
    I want to do a turkey breast b4 thanksgiving. in texas we have a chain called Rudy's. I think their smoked turkey breast is the best I have ever had. I am going to purchase their rub and give it shot. What temp did you smoke your turkey breast at? I have heard that you end up with slimy skin if you smoke at low temps.
    I kept the temperature right around 225, and I had nice crispy skin when I took it off. The only problem I had was that the turkey got done early and I had to keep it warm for a couple of hours before I cut into it. Because of that, I kept it wrapped in foil and blankets so that it wouldn't cool off too much. If I had just let it rest for 20-30 minutes, the skin would have stayed crispy. Regardless, I cut it into small strips for sandwiches and what-not, so the skin wasn't really even an issue. I am looking forward to doing it again soon. What the heck, maybe next weekend!

Let me know how things turn out if you make ribs.

Group B
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    I kept the temperature right around 225, and I had nice crispy skin when I took it off. The only problem I had was that the turkey got done early and I had to keep it warm for a couple of hours before I cut into it. Because of that, I kept it wrapped in foil and blankets so that it wouldn't cool off too much. If I had just let it rest for 20-30 minutes, the skin would have stayed crispy. Regardless, I cut it into small strips for sandwiches and what-not, so the skin wasn't really even an issue. I am looking forward to doing it again soon. What the heck, maybe next weekend!

Let me know how things turn out if you make ribs.

Let me just say that the only regret I had is that I didnt have time to pull them off the smoker and let them rest wrapped for about 20 minutes. I pretty much took them inside and basted with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and my son and I destroyed them.

I got these at Sam's. They were just under 10lbs. (about 3.3 lbs per rack). I smoked them at 225 for 4 hours and 45 minutes. They didnt fall off the bone but they were close. The backside of each rack had so much meat I was dumbfounded. I couldnt get over how big they were. They were amazing.

I put a homemade sweet rub on them and let them sit 16 hrs. then I took out of fridge while I got my fire going. then I put them on the grill. Next time I will start a little earlier and wrap them and let them sit for about 20 to 30 minutes.

BTW, I sprayed apple cider vinegar and virgin olive oil on them at 2hrs, then again at 3hrs. Not sure this helps but I did it anyways.

I didnt want to use charcoal lighter so i was having a hell of a time getting my fire started.
    Use a chimney starter. The only time one has failed me was in extreme windy conditions.
    How To Use A Chimney Starter

Group B
    can I get a mod to move this to the kitchen. thanks

Travel Squad
    Good for you RA. Take a look at this link. Any offset smoker will become better with these mods.

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...t_smokers.html

BTW, it's a great site with tons of useful info on smoking food.
    "I have never seen people with more class than I saw at Nebraska. The Nebraska fans, players, cheerleaders, band, officials, coaches, etc., gave me living testimony of what college football should be all about." - Bobby Bowden

Ayyy!

Let me just say that the only regret I had is that I didnt have time to pull them off the smoker and let them rest wrapped for about 20 minutes. I pretty much took them inside and basted with Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and my son and I destroyed them.

I got these at Sam's. They were just under 10lbs. (about 3.3 lbs per rack). I smoked them at 225 for 4 hours and 45 minutes. They didnt fall off the bone but they were close. The backside of each rack had so much meat I was dumbfounded. I couldnt get over how big they were. They were amazing.

I put a homemade sweet rub on them and let them sit 16 hrs. then I took out of fridge while I got my fire going. then I put them on the grill. Next time I will start a little earlier and wrap them and let them sit for about 20 to 30 minutes.

BTW, I sprayed apple cider vinegar and virgin olive oil on them at 2hrs, then again at 3hrs. Not sure this helps but I did it anyways.
    Looks delicious! I usually spray my smoked meats with apple juice or apple cider while cooking. I don't know for sure if it helps, but someone told me I should do it and it hasn't failed me yet.

Group B
    Quote Originally Posted by redwinghusker View Post
    Good for you RA. Take a look at this link. Any offset smoker will become better with these mods.

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...t_smokers.html

BTW, it's a great site with tons of useful info on smoking food.
    thanks for the link. I checked it out. There is a ton of info on here. Very helpful. I did notice that for whatever reason this guy seems to go out of his way everywhere I looked to advise people who are getting started in BBQ to stay away from "stick burning" He said that very few people can "stick burn" with success. In one section, he says that you should use no more than 4oz of wood on a short burn and 16 oz of wood on a long burn. He talks about how much skill is necessary for wood burning.

I guess I would like to know what he means by "stick burning" Does he mean starting and staying with nothing but wood exclusively the entire cooking process?

Most of what I have read on the internet has "stick burning" as starting with charcoal or lump coal and getting a bed of coals and then switching over to wood and starting to smoke from there.

I can't speak for everybody but I have started two fires (had a little trouble getting the first one under control) and once my fire temp was set, I "stick burned" for 12 hours and the second time for 5 and it was a piece of cake. No trouble at all. If I could do this, anybody could.

Not sure why he takes this position so strongly.

Intellectual Patriot
    Because I rarely have the time that I would want to put towards traditional smoking, and I like fried turkey I am looking at one of these. I know it is kind of cheating and I may have to take a mancard suspension, but it looks pretty darn handy.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...16&R=202018216

Once I win the Powerball and or get rid of all my outside interests and finish all the work on my own home I will no doubt build a pit in my backyard that could smoke a mammoth. But until then I think this will do.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Group B
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    Because I rarely have the time that I would want to put towards traditional smoking, and I like fried turkey I am looking at one of these. I know it is kind of cheating and I may have to take a mancard suspension, but it looks pretty darn handy.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...16&R=202018216

Once I win the Powerball and or get rid of all my outside interests and finish all the work on my own home I will no doubt build a pit in my backyard that could smoke a mammoth. But until then I think this will do.
    nah, electric, wood, propane, charcoal, they all can produce great tasting meat. If you dont have time to tinker with and baby sit a wood smoker the other options work really well as well from what I have read and seen. You only lose your man card if you become a veggie.

Intellectual Patriot
    SWEET!
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.