Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Your Alma Mater(s)

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    1968 - 72 (69 - 70; 70- 72)
    I played for Millard in the fall of 70-73. I remember being undefeated against Fremont in that period.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Recruit
    Seward High School Bluejays
    University of Nebraska-Lincoln
    US Army - Retired

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    I played for Millard in the fall of 70-73. I remember being undefeated against Fremont in that period.
    must be a brain injury........
    When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion. - A. Lincoln

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir W. Churchill

Spend 50% of your time taking care of your business and 50% leaving everyone else's alone.

Lincoln East HS- Spartans, Blue and White
    University of Nebraska-Lincoln- Cornhuskers, Scarlet and Cream
    Duke University School of Law- Blue Devils, Blue and White

Recruit
    Omaha Burke HS - Bulldogs - Black & Gold
    University of Nebraska Lincoln - Cornhuskers - Scarlet & Cream

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillfan View Post
    Yankton, SD Bucks RED and White
    Black Hills State- Spearfish, SD Yellow Jackets forest Green and yellow

Am I the first from SD, didn't think I read one.
    Then you missed me...
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

"The last 11 days we focused on Nebraska," said Snyder, "and now I know more about them than I want to."

Recruit
    60 feet under ground and just outside of Kimball
    Omaha Paul VI Hawks...Blue and Gold
    University of Nebraska at Omaha...Mavericks...Scarlet and Black
    Illustrious Golden Gate University: Mascot none; Colors none; Motto: Pay your fees and get your Bs
    When you care to send the very best!

Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by rcusmc View Post
    Omaha Tech Trojans Maroon and White
    Kearney State College Antelopes (Lopers) Blue and Gold
    So another Techster (myself as well).

For the younger crowd, Tech is where Johnny Rodgers and Bob Gibson went (a little before my time though).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technic...aha,_Nebraska)
    "Jim, Sometimes the flowers arrange themselves." - Robert California

Recruit
    Orchard High School - Orioles - Black and Orange
    Midland College - Warriors - Black and Orange
    University of Illinois - Fighting Illini - Blue and Orange
    University of Chicago - Maroons - Maroon and Gray
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein
    A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be. - Albert Einstein

Oh my!
    Grand Island Senior High School / Islanders / Purple and Gold
    University of Nebraska - Lincoln / Cornhuskers / Scarlet and Cream
    University of Nebraska - Lincoln / Cornhuskers / Scarlet and Cream
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by DrNUke View Post
    Orchard High School - Orioles - Black and Orange
    Midland College - Warriors - Black and Orange
    University of Illinois - Fighting Illini - Blue and Orange
    University of Chicago - Maroons - Maroon and Gray
    Will you please tell us about your degrees? I"m curious from the "what do you do thread?"

EDIT: Additionally, Midland College to U of Chicago is HUGE jump in academia. How did you make it?

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilLongfellow View Post
    Will you please tell us about your degrees? I"m curious from the "what do you do thread?"

EDIT: Additionally, Midland College to U of Chicago is HUGE jump in academia. How did you make it?
    Some fortunate breaks and some hard work, the support of my family, and the support of my wife through graduate school. And probably a little bit of wanting to show them "city folk" that a Nebraska farm boy could do anything they could do.

I saw a brochure on the science bulletin board at Midland for the University of Illinois Nuclear Engineering program. Submitted an application and somehow got accepted (along with a Atomic Energy Fellowship - precursor to the Department of Energy). Spent 5 years there getting an MS and PhD. Went to work at Argonne National Laboratory in Lemont, IL (southwest side of Chicago). Turns out DOE contracted with the University of Chicago to run Argonne National Lab. That officially made me an employee of The University of Chicago, which made taking courses at the U of Chicago free, so I did an MBA there. Then Three Mile Island happened and I switched careers and joined AT&T Bell Laboratories for20+ years.

Academic Jump - It was a hard academic jump from Midland to University of Illinois. That first year at the U of I was hard. Lots of late nights trying to grasp some rather complex concepts. The jump from there to the University of Chicago not so hard. Very different programs, but both were rated Top 5 in the country when I attended them. I think they still are, but not sure. MBA program was kind of a "walk in the park" after the U of I Nuclear Engineering program.

But the foundation that made it all work came from a high school math teacher that taught me calculus outside of the normal curriculum, and a physics professor at Midland that was an inspiration and also tutored me beyond the normal curriculum. The Midland education was enough to get me through the U of I.

In the end I think too much is made of the "where did you go to school". The associations and friends you make at your school are probably somewhat relevant to your success, and the where you went to school and what degrees and grades you earned are probably relevant for that first job. But after that it is what have you done lately.

A joke I've heard many times is "What do you call the person who graduates last in their class at medical school?" Answer: Doctor!

I've no doubt bored you enough....
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein
    A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be. - Albert Einstein

Red Shirt
    Lee Ho Fook High School - - Soho, London, England - - The Lycanthrops - - Dark grey and blood red

Northern Lights College - - Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada - - The Solar Winds - - Shimmering green and dark blue

Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Howl View Post
    Lee Ho Fook High School - - Soho, London, England - - The Lycanthrops - - Dark grey and blood red

Northern Lights College - - Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada - - The Solar Winds - - Shimmering green and dark blue

You win.
    "Jim, Sometimes the flowers arrange themselves." - Robert California

Blackshirt
    Hoskins (NE) High School Huskies, maroon and white. School closed in 1957 due to consolidation, thereafter students had three differen't choices to attend, so there is really no successor. 'Ol Hoskins High died! BTW, we used to beat Concord, Dixon and Carroll with regularity!

University of Nebraska, Huskers, scarlet and cream.
    Huskers Uber Alles