Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Kangaroo! Anybody eat it?

  1. #1
    All Legend
    BuffSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Down The Road
    Posts
    17,071

    Kangaroo! Anybody eat it?

    Here is a photo of the Kid's latest meal. Roast of Kangaroo!

    Looks to be cooked medium or medium rare. I don't know if it sounds all that good to me, but he is trying to eat everything he can while he is in Australia.

    I'm starting to wonder if he is there to learn how to cook or build roads and bridges?

    What can anybody tell me about kangaroo meat.


    IMG_1863.jpg
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    #HuskersJustGotBetter!
    (29-13-3) GATA

  2. #2
    Big Red Fan!!!

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,721
    Probably tastes like chicken.

  3. #3
    Husker Immortal
    ThotDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland
    Posts
    71,417
    Very good taste. Very similar to beef. Is usually pretty lean, quite tender and has a strong flavor.
    One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is whether to walk away or try harder.


  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffSurveyor View Post
    Here is a photo of the Kid's latest meal. Roast of Kangaroo!

    Looks to be cooked medium or medium rare. I don't know if it sounds all that good to me, but he is trying to eat everything he can while he is in Australia.

    I'm starting to wonder if he is there to learn how to cook or build roads and bridges?

    What can anybody tell me about kangaroo meat.


    IMG_1863.jpg


    Looks like a rolled venison roast.

  5. #5
    All American
    FLA4NEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central FLA
    Posts
    20,359
    Once you've done roo youre nervous to poo
    "If you take risk out of life, you take opportunity out of life." - I wish I had said it first.

  6. #6
    Guest

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    Posts
    355
    I have aussies right next to me..they said if cooked right its very good. Alot like beef but with a gamey flavor.

  7. #7
    All Legend
    BuffSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Down The Road
    Posts
    17,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.I.Am Husker View Post
    I have aussies right next to me..they said if cooked right its very good. Alot like beef but with a gamey flavor.
    Seems to me it might taste like a buffalo roast. Lean, tender and good for you.
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    #HuskersJustGotBetter!
    (29-13-3) GATA

  8. #8
    Gunga galunga. Gunga....
    jikastew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Georgia and Nebraska
    Posts
    10,956
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffSurveyor View Post
    Seems to me it might taste like a buffalo roast. Lean, tender and good for you.
    Seems to me it would be like squirrel, but with bigger cuts.
    Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. - HawkeyeNation

  9. #9
    "Knock, knock..."
    FeelLikeAStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Hardscratch Springs
    Posts
    29,169
    Really, really good. That looks perfect and makes me jealous. My recollection is texturally like a filet mignon with a 'wild' twang.

    Only the aboriginal males were allowed to eat 'roo.

    If he hasn't had barramundi yet, he needs to.


  10. #10
    Husker Immortal
    ThotDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland
    Posts
    71,417
    Like I said before, it is quite tasty ........and its high in protein too.
    One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is whether to walk away or try harder.


  11. #11
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,944
    I'm carnivore as it gets...but Kangaroo is one I won't touch...they're a national symbol (not sure if it's an official designation or not-might be koala) and that'd be adkin to us eating our bald eagles...

  12. #12
    All Legend
    BuffSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Down The Road
    Posts
    17,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    I'm carnivore as it gets...but Kangaroo is one I won't touch...they're a national symbol (not sure if it's an official designation or not-might be koala) and that'd be adkin to us eating our bald eagles...
    Kangaroos are the National Animal of Australia.
    From what I understand the Eastern Grey Kangaroo is the one for dinner in Australia. They breed like rabbits and have to be thinned, so they just eat them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Grey_Kangaroo

    Now on the flip side, the Red Kangaroo (Macropus rufus) is the sacred cow of the Australian people. In other words: Thou shalt not eat Red Kangaroo! For you Husker fans going to Australia it's easy to remember which can be eaten. Red is regarded as being sacred there too! That's why I like to eat a nice brown Buffalo.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...s_of_Australia

    The way I look at it: It's bad to eat the American Bald Eagle, but it is fine to eat a Turkey.

    Does anyone know what kind of wine goes best with Kangaroo?
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    #HuskersJustGotBetter!
    (29-13-3) GATA

  13. #13
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,944
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffSurveyor View Post
    Kangaroos are the National Animal of Australia.
    From what I understand the Eastern Grey Kangaroo is the one for dinner in Australia. They breed like rabbits and have to be thinned, so they just eat them.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Grey_Kangaroo

    Now on the flip side, the Red Kangaroo (Macropus rufus) is the sacred cow of the Australian people. In other words: Thou shalt not eat Red Kangaroo! For you Husker fans going to Australia it's easy to remember which can be eaten. Red is regarded as being sacred there too! That's why I like to eat a nice brown Buffalo.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...s_of_Australia

    The way I look at it: It's bad to eat the American Bald Eagle, but it is fine to eat a Turkey.

    Does anyone know what kind of wine goes best with Kangaroo?
    Probably some kind of shiraz.

  14. #14
    Head Lackey
    Red Dead Redemption's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Stuck on Mopac...
    Posts
    15,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    I'm carnivore as it gets...but Kangaroo is one I won't touch...they're a national symbol (not sure if it's an official designation or not-might be koala) and that'd be adkin to us eating our bald eagles...


    Time helps some species, species, species
    Come back and grow stronger
    I'm glad one creature, creature, creature's
    Endangered no longer

    I want to fry up an eagle
    Just to see
    Fry up an eagle
    Use the Colonel's recipe

    It's still illegal
    It shouldn't be
    I need to know what one tastes like

    I want to fry up an eagle
    My curiosity
    First killed the cat
    Who wasn't that tasty, frankly

    I want to fry up an eagle
    They're dolphin-free
    Glenn Frey and the Eagles said it subliminally

    Do-do, do, do-do (they're bald)
    Do-do, do, do-do (and yummy)
    Do-do, do, do-do (oh yeah)
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

  15. #15
    Husker Immortal
    ThotDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland
    Posts
    71,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    Probably some kind of shiraz.

    Actually, you can check out Yellow Tail wines (they have a kangaroo on the bottle) and they recommend a shiraz-cabernet blend.
    One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is whether to walk away or try harder.








Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •