Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 236

Thread: QB recruitment

  1. #21
    Starter

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    12,164
    Quote Originally Posted by SBHusker View Post
    What does this have to do with Bo?? It doesnt. Only GFOA would make it that way.
    I haven't gone after Bo here at all. I was just agreeing with the article that was posted, that seemed to indicate we were scrambling for this year's QB recruits, because we missed on our targets. RR made a big deal about disagreeing, which is fine and his right. IMO he is wrong here. Moreover, he is wrong even if we do pull a rabbit out of our hat.

  2. #22
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    102,593
    Like I said I'm not responding anymore...your not interested in a real debate or conversation.....you never are.....thats your M.O. so be it....

    Blessings and Peace....

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I haven't gone after Bo here at all. I was just agreeing with the article that was posted, that seemed to indicate we were scrambling for this year's QB recruits, because we missed on our targets. RR made a big deal about disagreeing, which is fine and his right. IMO he is wrong here. Moreover, he is wrong even if we do pull a rabbit out of our hat.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  3. #23
    Scout Team
    bucktril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    3,022
    I will agree that there is a perception out there in that we are scrambling to find a QB recruit who reciprocates the interest we have in them. Thats OK. Both player and University need to find the right fit. These things take time.

  4. #24
    For me, I'm in favor of finding diamonds in the rough or a player who claws his way up to the top of the game. I love the underdog in this sense. Any one of these QB's could be the next Ryan Tannehill (3 star in '09) or Christian Ponder (3 star in '06) and make their way into the pro's. As far as Jennings, Kincade, and Hobbs go, I feel very confident that the staff is apprising three more QB's beyond these guys in the event none of them opt for us. We will find the right fit for our program and continue to develop our guys into being the best they can become. As Bo once said, "We'll hang our own stars on them."

  5. #25
    ToungeInCheek since 2010
    Native's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    1,649
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henny_Penny

    The story is listed as Aarne-Thompson-Uther type 20C, which includes international examples of folktales that make light of paranoia and mass hysteria.

    ...

    The moral to be drawn changes, depending on the version. Where there is a 'happy ending', the moral is not to be a 'Chicken' but to have courage. In other versions where the birds are eaten by the fox, the fable is interpreted as a warning not to believe everything you are told.
    Wikipedia (er Wiki-Max?) is great. I wonder what version we are talking about here, unfortunately will take 5 years to figure out. Unless of course you already know. Glad we have our share of soothsayers on board to dictate the future to us.
    No koozies for you. - BigRedMax

  6. #26
    Red Shirt
    HuskerGene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South of North Omaha
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henny_Penny



    Wikipedia (er Wiki-Max?) is great. I wonder what version we are talking about here, unfortunately will take 5 years to figure out. Unless of course you already know. Glad we have our share of soothsayers on board to dictate the future to us.
    I knew you were going to say that....

  7. #27
    Junior Varsity

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    6,932
    Brion Carnes...he committed wayyyyyy later in the process than we are even close to right now. Was committed elsewhere, and we flipped him. We will be fine...

  8. #28
    Starter

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    12,164
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    Brion Carnes...he committed wayyyyyy later in the process than we are even close to right now. Was committed elsewhere, and we flipped him. We will be fine...
    Stepped right in and took over didn't he? He's proof of what, exactly? Does his 23 yards of total offense as back-up QB give you comfort?

  9. #29
    Red Shirt
    gutterputt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Island, Ne
    Posts
    1,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    Stepped right in and took over didn't he? He's proof of what, exactly? Does his 23 yards of total offense as back-up QB give you comfort?
    So committing late has a direct correlation to onfield results during a college career. If he commited earlier he would be starting already. Interesting

  10. #30
    Junior Varsity

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    6,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    Stepped right in and took over didn't he? He's proof of what, exactly? Does his 23 yards of total offense as back-up QB give you comfort?

    So what would make you say that we did a good recruiting job? He was ranked 7th in the nation at his position...but that was a poor job by our staff to get him? If we get someone 50th in the nation, you will come up with some other reason why our recruiting is bad.

    The point of that comment was to say that someone will commit to Nebraska that the national recruiting community have as a better than average D1 quarterback....how many yards they end up with in their seasons here depend on whether they earn the starting job or not.

  11. #31
    Scout Team
    denisonred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Ia
    Posts
    3,199
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    Well, perhaps he should have been recruited before the others, wouldn't that make sense? Facts are, we are scrambling, and that's OK, nothing to be too upset about as long as we don't get shut out.
    I can understand people at times taking issue with the decisions made the coaching staff. What I do not understand is that for you its always negativity never a positive comment have I seen you post. You immediately jump on anything that you can spin to your view point. How about looking at the whole picture once in a while. It is quite apparent of your dislike for Bo Pelini as you never hesitate to attack him.
    Husker follower since 1962

  12. #32
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Floribama
    Posts
    5,573
    GFoA makes things interesting around here. Don't have to agree with him, but his viewpoint and collection of shiny lures can be appreciated for what they are.....

  13. #33
    Red Shirt
    Blue Howl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Deep in the primeval North Woods
    Posts
    1,628
    There is a perception that schools try to lock up their top QB targets early so that they can build their classes around them.

    It would be interesting to see which of the top teams (maybe just take the top 25 ranked teams from last year) have already found their QB. Or alternatively, how many of the 4 and 5 star QB's have already given a verbal commitment, and how many are left.

    I would try to do it but I don't have time right now.

  14. #34
    Starter

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    12,164
    Quote Originally Posted by denisonred View Post
    I can understand people at times taking issue with the decisions made the coaching staff. What I do not understand is that for you its always negativity never a positive comment have I seen you post. You immediately jump on anything that you can spin to your view point. How about looking at the whole picture once in a while. It is quite apparent of your dislike for Bo Pelini as you never hesitate to attack him.
    The whole picture (4 straight 4-loss seasons) and each piece that makes it up is exactly what I look at. Bo is responsible for it all, so he rightfully owns the criticisms because he is the one person who can do something about them. I rarely mention players in anything but a very positive way, unless they are being misused or underdeveloped by the coaching staff. I rarely criticize any of the assistants because they are doing Bo's bidding and he has the power to change anything they do. To be honest, I think that every starter on the team and every assistant coach on the team is better at their job than Bo Pelini is at his. I believe he was likely a very good defensive coordinator/coach, who inherited some great talent and was hired into some enviable positions. He parlayed that relative inexperience (with significant success) into a head coaching position at a school that should never be hiring a head coach that needs on-the-job training. We have been seeing the results, it all comes from Bo. We've seen the offensive indecision, constant experimentation and poor decision making. We've seen the defense look great with Suh on board and then begin to flounder as the inherited talent wanes. We've seen teams that look great for a quarter or two, fall completely flat and become unnerved, much like their coach. We've seen the team decide not to show up at all. Other than "righting the ship" (after Callahan drove the program into the ditch), which I believe any competant coach could have done, he's shown no progress...in fact last year, and perhaps the year before, was a regression. There really isn't much to be pleased about unless you are happy with 4 loss seasons...I'm not. But hope springs eternal, maybe this year will be different. If not, I'm sure Bo will find another excuse.

  15. #35
    Varsity
    HuskerRedDread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back & forth between Omaha & San Antonio
    Posts
    10,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    The whole picture and each piece that makes it up is exactly what I look at. Bo is responsible for it all, so he rightfully owns the criticisms because he is the one person who can do something about them. I rarely mention players in anything but a very positive way, unless they are being misused or underdeveloped by the coaching staff. I rarely criticize any of the assistants because they are doing Bo's bidding and he has the power to change anything they do. To be honest, I think that every starter on the team and every assistant coach on the team is better at their job than Bo Pelini is at his. I believe he was likely a very good defensive coordinator/coach, who inherited some great talent and was hired into some enviable positions. He parlayed that relative inexperience (with significant success) into a head coaching position at a school that should never be hiring a head coach that needs on-the-job training. We have been seeing the results, it all comes from Bo. We've seen the offensive indecision, constant experimentation and poor decision making. We've seen the defense look great with Suh on board and then begin to flounder as the inherited talent wanes. We've seen teams that look great for a quarter or two, fall completely flat and become unnerved, much like their coach. We've seen the team decide not to show up at all. Other than "righting the ship" (after Callahan drove the program into the ditch), which I believe any competant coach could have done, he's shown no progress...in fact last year, and perhaps the year before, was a regression. There really isn't much to be pleased about unless you are happy with 4 loss seasons...I'm not. But hope springs eternal, maybe this year will be different. If not, I'm sure Bo will find another excuse.

    ..........oh, I forgot you're serious.....

    Every positive thing that happens under Bo, the credit goes to the players or previous coaches (JUCO, or as you mentioned in an old thread, the high school coach gave the kid everything he needs to be successful at this level). Bo, inherited such great wealths of talent, so, how dare we give him any credit for any type of success he may have with the team.

    But everything that goes wrong with the program, weather it's, a player getting into an altercation at a bar, a kid choosing to transfer to be closer to home, a coach not developing a player to be all american and/or having to switch his position because of need, or a kid just never living up to the hype given to him upon his entry into the program..........It's Bo's fault because he's the man in control.........

    I'm really enjoying my vacation at the moment. But I love coming to HuskerMax to be entertained by the rants of the Greatest Fan of All. If only we can be half as great a fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarstheRed View Post
    I'm not looking for perfection, but you have to feel that every time Bo saw TM about to be interviewed he had to have a serious case of butt clench.

  16. #36
    Starter

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    12,164
    Quote Originally Posted by gutterputt View Post
    So committing late has a direct correlation to onfield results during a college career. If he commited earlier he would be starting already. Interesting
    I never said that, but the poster I was replying to was pointing to BCarnes as an example of us landing someone late. Of course, that same type scrambling could yield results again this year, I am hoping for that, but Carnes hasn't proven a thing here yet. Recruiting late may work, but it's not the preferred route, 8 of the top 10 dual threat QB's (Rivals) for 2013 have already committed, and were just getting started looking at new guys.

  17. #37
    Starter

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    12,164
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    ..........oh, I forgot you're serious.....

    Every positive thing that happens under Bo, the credit goes to the players or previous coaches (JUCO, or as you mentioned in an old thread, the high school coach gave the kid everything he needs to be successful at this level). Bo, inherited such great wealths of talent, so, how dare we give him any credit for any type of success he may have with the team.

    But everything that goes wrong with the program, weather it's, a player getting into an altercation at a bar, a kid choosing to transfer to be closer to home, a coach not developing a player to be all american and/or having to switch his position because of need, or a kid just never living up to the hype given to him upon his entry into the program..........It's Bo's fault because he's the man in control.........

    I'm really enjoying my vacation at the moment. But I love coming to HuskerMax to be entertained by the rants of the Greatest Fan of All. If only we can be half as great a fan.
    When he starts winning some championships, he'll start to earn some credit.

  18. #38
    Starter

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    12,164
    nm

  19. #39
    All American

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26,351
    A couple of things to consider here.

    1) We could take two QBs in this class.

    2) Wait until we have our QB camp. I am told someone could emerge from this years' camp if all goes well.

  20. #40
    Junior Varsity

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    6,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I never said that, but the poster I was replying to was pointing to BCarnes as an example of us landing someone late. Of course, that same type scrambling could yield results again this year, I am hoping for that, but Carnes hasn't proven a thing here yet. Recruiting late may work, but it's not the preferred route, 8 of the top 10 dual threat QB's (Rivals) for 2013 have already committed, and were just getting started looking at new guys.
    So should we cut Carnes? Or shnould USC have cut John David Booty or Mark Sanchez because they didn't produce their redshirt freshmen year because they had someone starting in front of them? What are you getting at with not giving Carnes or our staff credit with that recruitment?

    Again, Carnes was committed somewhere before we got his verbal, and you are trying to say we are in a heap of trouble because 8 of 10 dual threats on Rivals are committed.....


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •