Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: Will Smith Freaks Out at François Hollande's Proposed Tax Rate

  1. #1
    Guest

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Papillion, NE
    Posts
    3,743

    Will Smith Freaks Out at François Hollande's Proposed Tax Rate

    How much is too much? What is one's "fair share?" What's the maximum tax rate anyone should have to pay?

    As an ardent supporter of Barack Obama, Will Smith is fully behind the President's proposal to raise income taxes on high earners in the United States from 36 to 39 percent.

    The Hollywood megastar enthusiastically preached the gospel of paying one's fair share of taxes in a French television interview this weekend. But when asked about his take on the tax policy of French president-elect François Hollande, Smith's was shocked silly by the suggestion of a 75 percent tax rate on those earning above €1 million annually.
    Business Insider


  2. #2
    Blackshirt

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14,000
    I'm going for the upper tax bracket rate as it existed under Eisenhower or better yet...the rate under FDR

    http://news.yahoo.com/eisenhower-oba...-abc-news.html
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

  3. #3
    All Legend
    huskernut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    16,675
    That's the difference between a real Socialist and an alleged one.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

  4. #4
    Rebel Alliance
    FLA4NEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central FLA
    Posts
    16,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    I'm going for the upper tax bracket rate as it existed under Eisenhower or better yet...the rate under FDR

    http://news.yahoo.com/eisenhower-oba...-abc-news.html
    That would be super awesome! I hope you forward this idea to President Obama and he pursues this for you!!
    As government gets bigger people get smaller

  5. #5
    Blackshirt

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14,000
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    That would be super awesome! I hope you forward this idea to President Obama and he pursues this for you!!
    I'm sure your enthusiastic support will sway the far right extremist to meet somewhere in the middle. But wait....that would require comprimise and doing what is best for country and we know how the fffffaaaarrrrrr righters feel about that.
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    I'm going for the upper tax bracket rate as it existed under Eisenhower or better yet...the rate under FDR

    http://news.yahoo.com/eisenhower-oba...-abc-news.html
    But ... but ... trickle down economics and bubble economies have worked right? Oh wait, they gave us a 30 year run up of crippling consumer and national debt, a crumbling infrastructure (much of which was conceived and built during the 50s, 60s and 70s), and the 2nd greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression. Thanks, trickle downers!! Thanks bubble balloon clowns! We all love that warm, wet feeling and that loud, disorientating pop!

    Sarcasm aside, going back to those astronomical tax rates is certainly a bad idea. But where we're at now is just dumb, dumb, dumb, and it's thanks mostly to the idiots on the far, far right. Neocons and the wars they started, and uncompromising Tea Partiers, to name two.

    And we're supposed to put them back in office? Not.

  7. #7
    Junior Varsity
    statman29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska, United States
    Posts
    5,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    I'm going for the upper tax bracket rate as it existed under Eisenhower or better yet...the rate under FDR

    http://news.yahoo.com/eisenhower-oba...-abc-news.html
    I'm glad we don't live in a Warhorse nation. Letting the government keep 90% of someone's income each and every year that's your idea of liberty? I do not understand any American who has this flawed way of thinking.

    I have family members that achieved great wealth built from scratch. To think there are people out there like yourself that believe the government has more right to income that my family has created by their own hard work and ingenuity is truly baffling.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

  8. #8
    Junior Varsity
    HuZkurZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    But ... but ... trickle down economics and bubble economies have worked right? Oh wait, they gave us a 30 year run up of crippling consumer and national debt, a crumbling infrastructure (much of which was conceived and built during the 50s, 60s and 70s), and the 2nd greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression. Thanks, trickle downers!! Thanks bubble balloon clowns! We all love that warm, wet feeling and that loud, disorientating pop!

    Sarcasm aside, going back to those astronomical tax rates is certainly a bad idea. But where we're at now is just dumb, dumb, dumb, and it's thanks mostly to the idiots on the far, far right. Neocons and the wars they started, and uncompromising Tea Partiers, to name two.

    And we're supposed to put them back in office? Not.
    You should've started and stopped at Sarcasm aside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

  9. #9
    Junior Varsity
    HuZkurZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,497
    Quote Originally Posted by statman29 View Post
    I'm glad we don't live in a Warhorse nation. Letting the government keep 90% of someone's income each and every year that's your idea of liberty? I do not understand any American who has this flawed way of thinking.

    I have family members that achieved great wealth built from scratch. To think there are people out there like yourself that believe the government has more right to income that my family has created by their own hard work and ingenuity is truly baffling.
    Stat, it's because those that think like warhorse are the takers. They don't have to worry about the high tax brackets and because of that they don't care as long as they get theirs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

  10. #10
    Heisman

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McKinney, Texas, United States
    Posts
    11,787
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    But ... but ... trickle down economics and bubble economies have worked right? Oh wait, they gave us a 30 year run up of crippling consumer and national debt, a crumbling infrastructure (much of which was conceived and built during the 50s, 60s and 70s), and the 2nd greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression. Thanks, trickle downers!! Thanks bubble balloon clowns! We all love that warm, wet feeling and that loud, disorientating pop!

    Sarcasm aside, going back to those astronomical tax rates is certainly a bad idea. But where we're at now is just dumb, dumb, dumb, and it's thanks mostly to the idiots on the far, far right. Neocons and the wars they started, and uncompromising Tea Partiers, to name two.

    And we're supposed to put them back in office? Not.
    Having a particularly bad day there, RB&B? That was quite some raving rant you unleashed there - hope you're feeling better...

  11. #11
    The Walking Red
    nems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    16,304
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    But ... but ... trickle down economics and bubble economies have worked right? Oh wait, they gave us a 30 year run up of crippling consumer and national debt, a crumbling infrastructure (much of which was conceived and built during the 50s, 60s and 70s), and the 2nd greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression. Thanks, trickle downers!! Thanks bubble balloon clowns! We all love that warm, wet feeling and that loud, disorientating pop!

    Sarcasm aside, going back to those astronomical tax rates is certainly a bad idea. But where we're at now is just dumb, dumb, dumb, and it's thanks mostly to the idiots on the far, far right. Neocons and the wars they started, and uncompromising Tea Partiers, to name two.

    And we're supposed to put them back in office? Not.
    If that's your stance, then you of course have to recognize over that same 30 year time period the USA reached and still maintains an unsurpassed empire.

  12. #12
    Oh my!
    Red_in_Blue_Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Posts
    12,009
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    But ... but ... trickle down economics and bubble economies have worked right? Oh wait, they gave us a 30 year run up of crippling consumer and national debt, a crumbling infrastructure (much of which was conceived and built during the 50s, 60s and 70s), and the 2nd greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression. Thanks, trickle downers!! Thanks bubble balloon clowns! We all love that warm, wet feeling and that loud, disorientating pop!

    Sarcasm aside, going back to those astronomical tax rates is certainly a bad idea. But where we're at now is just dumb, dumb, dumb, and it's thanks mostly to the idiots on the far, far right. Neocons and the wars they started, and uncompromising Tea Partiers, to name two.

    And we're supposed to put them back in office? Not.
    Are you saying we didn't have any economic issues in the 50's / 60's and 70's?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

    "Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    How much is too much? What is one's "fair share?" What's the maximum tax rate anyone should have to pay?

    Business Insider
    What I want to see is where Johnny Depp chooses to live after the new French President takes office...

  14. #14
    Blackshirt

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14,000
    Quote Originally Posted by statman29 View Post
    I'm glad we don't live in a Warhorse nation. Letting the government keep 90% of someone's income each and every year that's your idea of liberty? I do not understand any American who has this flawed way of thinking.

    I have family members that achieved great wealth built from scratch. To think there are people out there like yourself that believe the government has more right to income that my family has created by their own hard work and ingenuity is truly baffling.
    To think that there are people out there such as yourself who apparently can't or won't accept historical fact is truly baffling. Everyone that is financially capable owes a debt of financial gratitude (taxes) to this country. The more you make, the more you owe within bounds of reason and fairness. To think that there are people out there such as yourself that believe the rich have the right to pay ever lowering tax rates while expecting the middle class and poor to shoulder ever increasing tax burdens is pathetic.
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

  15. #15
    Blackshirt

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14,000
    Quote Originally Posted by HuZkurZ View Post
    Stat, it's because those that think like horsey are the takers. They don't have to worry about the high tax brackets and because of that they don't care as long as they get theirs.
    Hey Huzie, the last time you tried this personal stuff you apologized and said we could discuss things sensibly without getting nasty. Short term memory loss?
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

  16. #16
    Blackshirt

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14,000
    Quote Originally Posted by nems View Post
    If that's your stance, then you of course have to recognize over that same 30 year time period the USA reached and still maintains an unsurpassed empire.
    "Empire?" Interesting choice of words. According to Wiki..." Politically, an empire is a geographically extensive group of states and peoples (ethnic groups) united and ruled either by a monarch (emperor empress) or an oligarchy." America is certainly a group of states and ethnic peoples but while we are not ruled by a monarch, we are slowly becoming ruled by an oligarchy of the rich.
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

  17. #17
    The Walking Red
    nems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    16,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    "Empire?" Interesting choice of words. According to Wiki..." Politically, an empire is a geographically extensive group of states and peoples (ethnic groups) united and ruled either by a monarch (emperor empress) or an oligarchy." America is certainly a group of states and ethnic peoples but while we are not ruled by a monarch, we are slowly becoming ruled by an oligarchy of the rich.
    You would think someone with such a great imagination could realize when not to sake something so literally.

  18. #18
    Blackshirt

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14,000
    Quote Originally Posted by nems View Post
    You would think someone with such a great imagination could realize when not to sake something so literally.
    Hey, as I always told my students..."Say what you mean and mean what you say."
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

  19. #19
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Occupying HuskerMAX
    Posts
    9,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    To think that there are people out there such as yourself who apparently can't or won't accept historical fact is truly baffling. Everyone that is financially capable owes a debt of financial gratitude (taxes) to this country. The more you make, the more you owe within bounds of reason and fairness. To think that there are people out there such as yourself that believe the rich have the right to pay ever lowering tax rates while expecting the middle class and poor to shoulder ever increasing tax burdens is pathetic.
    Why not 100% then? Is there a point where someone has earned enough in their lifetime that everything they earn from that point forward should go to the government?

    I've stated before that I agree with you to a point on this - tax rates on the top two brackets are at historical lows and will need to increase to help us with our budget crisis and the national debt. But, there's a point of diminishing returns here (where people no longer are interested in making more money). Don't you think?

  20. #20
    All Big 10
    4evrHusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    In the Scrum & Pub
    Posts
    18,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    To think that there are people out there such as yourself who apparently can't or won't accept historical fact is truly baffling. Everyone that is financially capable owes a debt of financial gratitude (taxes) to this country. The more you make, the more you owe within bounds of reason and fairness. To think that there are people out there such as yourself that believe the rich have the right to pay ever lowering tax rates while expecting the middle class and poor to shoulder ever increasing tax burdens is pathetic.
    Why not tax corporations?
    Why not decrease governmental spending?
    Why not do away with welfare?
    Why make me pay for you to have insurance (ObamaCare)?
    Why does the government owe people that do not pay taxes?
    Why not a flat tax on income and a consumption tax based on the value of the product you purchase?

    To say that if I earn more than $1 million I should pay far more than someone that makes $40,000 (lets say you for the sake of this discusison), based solely on the amount of money I have, is ludicrous. The taxes are already higher on my money than yours, that is simple math. 30% of $40,000 is $12,000, 30% of $1,000,000 is $30,000. The tax rates aren't even equal to begin with. The more you make, the more you are taxed. So, the upper tax brackets are already paying more! Go look in the tax book, as you make more money, your tax rate goes up.

    So, to say that those that make more should pay more, is ALREADY happening.

    The fact that I can lower my taxable income level is no different than you getting to lower yours with deductions for your kids, property taxes, and college. What probably irritates you is that I get to lower mine more than you do.

    The tax system has flaws, just like everything else.

    The poor don't shoulder the burden, the middle class does.
    You never stand so tall as when you kneel to help a child.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •