Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas executes innocent man

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    if jesus was alive today, I think he would have ordered a rewrite because so much has been taken out of context.
    I think he would become a Buddhist.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    There needs to be a requirement to have DNA evidence to even ask for a death trial. If no DNA then it is life with the possibility of asking for death later if DNA is found later.

That would be a start. What makes me mad is how many states refuse to run DNA evidence after a trial. They say they were found guilty in court so no need to run this new DNA even thought it might prove innocents.

Just cruse the http://www.innocenceproject.org/

Web site and it will make you sick how many times these guys found innocent (in the end) were refused new trials cause the state balked.
    I could go with that.

Travel Squad

if jesus was alive today, I think he would have ordered a rewrite because so much has been taken out of context.
    "If Jesus were alive today and saw what people are doing in His name, He would never stop throwing up." - Woody Allen
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    The death penalty is completely incompatible with how I understand my Christian faith.
    How about being locked up in solitary confinement for life?

http://www.tikirobot.net/wp/2006/05/...permax-prison/

The effects of solitary confinement have been known for more than a century. The following is a quotation from an opinion by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1890: “[E]xperience demonstrated that there were serious objections to [solitary confinement]. A considerable number of the prisoners fell, after even a short confinement, into a semi-fatuous condition, from which it was next to impossible to arouse them, and others became violently insane; others still, committed suicide; while those who stood the ordeal better were not generally reformed, and in most cases did not recover sufficient mental activity to be of any subsequent service. . . .”

Blackshirt
    I say put lifers in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, etc. and make them fight terrorists. Have the military train them, put them on the front lines fighting, gathering intel, helping civilians......

Here's the catch..........

Implant a GPS on them. If they decide to stray, the GPS explodes. No more convict to watch.

Putting them in overcrowded prisons do no good and I am sick of paying for them to be fed better than most, have TV, workout equipment, libraries, medical, etc. Put them to work.
    I used to have superpowers.....but my therapist took them away...

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    How about being locked up in solitary confinement for life?
    I'm good with that. I've said all along, life in prison w/o parole is best.

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogahusker View Post
    I say put lifers in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, etc. and make them fight terrorists. Have the military train them, put them on the front lines fighting, gathering intel, helping civilians......

Here's the catch..........

Implant a GPS on them. If they decide to stray, the GPS explodes. No more convict to watch.

Putting them in overcrowded prisons do no good and I am sick of paying for them to be fed better than most, have TV, workout equipment, libraries, medical, etc. Put them to work.
    ala Deadlock/Wedlock?

(caution: graphic)

Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    The death penalty is completely incompatible with how I understand my Christian faith.
    I think you need to re-read your Bible. There is a big difference between killing and murder. Killing as a punishment is nowhere condemned in the Bible; to the contrary it was commanded by God in the Old Law for specific crimes. So unless God was wrong...
    "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. So Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't Fuzzy, Wuzzy?"

Quote Originally Posted by WestTexasHusker View Post
    I think you need to re-read your Bible. There is a big difference between killing and murder. Killing as a punishment is nowhere condemned in the Bible; to the contrary it was commanded by God in the Old Law for specific crimes. So unless God was wrong...
    3Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery and made her stand in the middle. 4They said to him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. 5Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women.* So what do you say?”b 6They said this to test him, so that they could have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger.* 7* But when they continued asking him, he straightened up and said to them,c “Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8Again he bent down and wrote on the ground. 9And in response, they went away one by one, beginning with the elders. So he was left alone with the woman before him. 10Then Jesus straightened up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”d 11She replied, “No one, sir.” Then Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you. Go, [and] from now on do not sin any more.”]e
    http://www.usccb.org/bible/jn/8:17

38* “You have heard that it was said,x ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39y But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil. When someone strikes you on (your) right cheek, turn the other one to him as well. 40If anyone wants to go to law with you over your tunic, hand him your cloak as well. 41Should anyone press you into service for one mile,* go with him for two miles.z 42Give to the one who asks of you, and do not turn your back on one who wants to borrow.a Love of Enemies.* 43b “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’c 44But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be children of your heavenly Father, for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes rain to fall on the just and the unjust.
    http://www.usccb.org/bible/matthew/5
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

You misinterpret Jesus' point. His point is, that all sin is the same to God, and all men have fallen short of the glory of God.

According to your methodology, Jesus said there is to be no punishment for any crime.

Same concept for the second set of scriptures: "Love thine enemies" does not translate into "have no civil law."

What it means is that I am to forgive those that trespass me. If someone murders my wife, I am to forgive him. That doesn't mean that the offender then escapes the consequences of the law - the district attorney might have something to say about that.
    "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. So Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't Fuzzy, Wuzzy?"

You misinterpret Jesus' point. His point is, that all sin is the same to God, and all men have fallen short of the glory of God.

According to your methodology, Jesus said there is no punishment for any crime.

Same concept for the second set of scriptures: "Love thine enemies" does not translate into "have no civil law."

What it means is that I am to forgive those that trespass me. If someone murders my wife, I am to forgive them. That doesn't mean that they escape the consequences of the law - the district attorney might have something to say about that.

Your argument comes back to civil law and not Christianity.

Just pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    Your argument comes back to civil law and not Christianity.

Just pointing that out.
    "Christianity" is an institution. A religion. A set of rituals.

I am a follower of Christ. Christ never once condemned the laws of the land.

In 1st Peter 2, Peter says we are “aliens and strangers” on this earth; our citizenship is in heaven. But this does not mean we are somehow less obligated to obey the laws of the land. Unlike those who exploded a bomb in the New York World Trade Center, we dare not view our foreign citizenship as a license to break the laws of the land in which we live. Peter’s words are not easy to swallow, and they may be less than easy to obey. Peter will inform us that we have the same obligation to obey our government as do unbelievers living in this nation, but the Christian has an even higher obligation than unbelievers.

In Romans 13:1-7, Paul deals directly with the Christian’s attitude and conduct with respect to governmental authority. In particular, Paul addresses the Christian’s relationship to civil government.There are a number of reasons Christians and civil government might be at odds with one another, and Christians might wrongly twist these into excuses for disrespect and disobedience to authorities.

Heisman

try leaving the bible out of this for once...see how the thinking goes.

Heisman

try leaving the bible out of this for once...see how the thinking goes.
    shutty

According to your methodology, Jesus said there is to be no punishment for any crime.

What it means is that I am to forgive those that trespass me. If someone murders my wife, I am to forgive him. That doesn't mean that the offender then escapes the consequences of the law - the district attorney might have something to say about that.

I don't think I do misinterpret Jesus' point, any more than you fail to recognize that the Old Testament capital crimes no longer apply as well. Unless you think that you're still required to put someone to death for cursing his father or mother. Do you think you're still required to execute someone for cursing their parents? Or was God wrong? Perhaps there's a third alternative you overlooked.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    shutty
    so you can't leave the bible out for once, even in a hypothetical? interesting.

Head Lackey
    so you can't leave the bible out for once, even in a hypothetical? interesting.
    leave the bible out when discussing interpretation of the bible? interesting.
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dead Redemption View Post
    leave the bible out when discussing interpretation of the bible? interesting.
    Hey, it obviously sounds sensible to '57!

God I admire you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    There needs to be a requirement to have DNA evidence to even ask for a death trial. If no DNA then it is life with the possibility of asking for death later if DNA is found later.

That would be a start. What makes me mad is how many states refuse to run DNA evidence after a trial. They say they were found guilty in court so no need to run this new DNA even thought it might prove innocents.

Just cruse the http://www.innocenceproject.org/

Web site and it will make you sick how many times these guys found innocent (in the end) were refused new trials cause the state balked.
    Excellent point, and completely inexcusable not to use the technology that is now available to us in forensic DNA analysis....both for current cases AND for appeals, cold cases, etc.. Unfortunately, there's no incentive for a state to try and overturn a previous conviction due to the surface cost of the testing. In reality, freeing one wrongly-convicted prisoner would likely pay for testing several thousand DNA evidence samples each year that person would have been locked up.

Humans control the investigation, arrest, prosecution, and sentencing of criminals and therein lies the major flaw. Anyone can be biased, bought, corrupt, in collusion, or swayed.