Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas executes innocent man

I was a pretty staunch pro-death penalty guy. We had John Jubert pretty much wreck about 2-3 years of our childhood while our parents fretted that he and then others were out there looking to harm us.

That said, I read Bill O'Reilly's book in which he stated his position on the death penalty. He is in favor of 6 days a week of hard labor instead of the death penalty. I'd be willing to take that trade. Even if it is pounding boulders into sand with a plastic hammer, I'd trade hard labor for the death penalty.

If that bargain can't be reached, my original pro-death penalty stance remains.

Free the West Memphis Three.

Administrator

Texas executes innocent man

There needs to be a requirement to have DNA evidence to even ask for a death trial. If no DNA then it is life with the possibility of asking for death later if DNA is found later.

That would be a start. What makes me mad is how many states refuse to run DNA evidence after a trial. They say they were found guilty in court so no need to run this new DNA even thought it might prove innocents.

Just cruse the http://www.innocenceproject.org/

Web site and it will make you sick how many times these guys found innocent (in the end) were refused new trials cause the state balked.

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

All Big 10

I still think the death penalty should be available, mainly in aggravated cases, such as killing police, because it would actually give pause to criminals who commit those types of crimes. For example, knowing that if you kill a cop or bystander you get a needle will alter the behavior during getaway of a bank robber who is otherwise facing 20 years. It isn't a perfect deterrent, but it's better than nothing.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    I still think the death penalty should be available, mainly in aggravated cases, such as killing police, because it would actually give pause to criminals who commit those types of crimes. For example, knowing that if you kill a cop or bystander you get a needle will alter the behavior during getaway of a bank robber who is otherwise facing 20 years. It isn't a perfect deterrent, but it's better than nothing.
    if it's supposed to be a deterrent, a needle to put you to sleep isn't the answer. The electric chair- where they shock you till you smoke, or the gas chamber, where you cough up a lung, would be more like it.
    "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. So Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't Fuzzy, Wuzzy?"

I was pro-death penalty for quite awhile...a friend happened to ask me one time if was I aware of went on a death certificate of a person who was executed in California as the cause of death? I didn't know that it was homicide....that really shook me up and made me rethink and change my position.....

Also as a Christian, as my wife often spoke about, if we were going to be pro-life then we had to be across the board...that also swayed me over time....

As for Max-Prisons....I agree with those....tougher to live that way for the rest of your life for taking another life....and yes it is less costly in the long run too....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Unfortunately deterrents only work if the criminal thinks rationally about potential consequences prior to or during the crime. Most don't engage in that kind of thought.
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

The death penalty is completely incompatible with how I understand my Christian faith.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

That I agree....

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    The death penalty is completely incompatible with how I understand my Christian faith.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Junior Varsity
    Thoughts please.

An eye for an eye ... - This command is found in Exodus 21:24; Leviticus 24:20, and Deuteronomy 19:21. In these places it was given as a rule to regulate the decisions of judges. They were to take eye for eye, and tooth for tooth, and to inflict burning for burning. As a judicial rule it is not unjust. Christ finds no fault with the rule as applied to magistrates, and does not take upon himself to repeal it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

Husker Fan

if jesus was alive today, I think he would have ordered a rewrite because so much has been taken out of context.

pray for me ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    if jesus was alive today, I think he would have ordered a rewrite because so much has been taken out of context.
    I think he would become a Buddhist.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    There needs to be a requirement to have DNA evidence to even ask for a death trial. If no DNA then it is life with the possibility of asking for death later if DNA is found later.

That would be a start. What makes me mad is how many states refuse to run DNA evidence after a trial. They say they were found guilty in court so no need to run this new DNA even thought it might prove innocents.

Just cruse the http://www.innocenceproject.org/

Web site and it will make you sick how many times these guys found innocent (in the end) were refused new trials cause the state balked.
    I could go with that.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    "If Jesus were alive today and saw what people are doing in His name, He would never stop throwing up." - Woody Allen
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

How about being locked up in solitary confinement for life?

http://www.tikirobot.net/wp/2006/05/...permax-prison/

The effects of solitary confinement have been known for more than a century. The following is a quotation from an opinion by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1890: “[E]xperience demonstrated that there were serious objections to [solitary confinement]. A considerable number of the prisoners fell, after even a short confinement, into a semi-fatuous condition, from which it was next to impossible to arouse them, and others became violently insane; others still, committed suicide; while those who stood the ordeal better were not generally reformed, and in most cases did not recover sufficient mental activity to be of any subsequent service. . . .”

Blackshirt
    I say put lifers in Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, etc. and make them fight terrorists. Have the military train them, put them on the front lines fighting, gathering intel, helping civilians......

Here's the catch..........

Implant a GPS on them. If they decide to stray, the GPS explodes. No more convict to watch.

Putting them in overcrowded prisons do no good and I am sick of paying for them to be fed better than most, have TV, workout equipment, libraries, medical, etc. Put them to work.
    I used to have superpowers.....but my therapist took them away...