Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln passes "fairness ordinance" yesterday

Lincoln passes "fairness ordinance" yesterday

Passed by a 5-0 margin, with two members abstaining due to "conflict of interest." Sounds like there's a petition effort underway to put it to a public vote.

Here's the Journal Star article on it. Thoughts?

http://journalstar.com/news/local/go...e36d44ce4.html

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

Husker Fan

good vote but the right is gonna take it to a city wide election anyways...

don't like a decision, appeal, don't like a consensus, shout for re vote, it never ends. just accept it for what it is. Brown is not pleased.

Lincoln's amendment says that decisions about whether you can be hired or not hired, fired or not fired, or denied housing cannot be based on who you live with or who you have a relationship with.
    So unreasonable.

I sure wish the right wingers would want to regulate JP Morgan a lot more closely than they want to regulate what goes on in consenting adults bedrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post

don't like a decision, appeal, don't like a consensus, shout for re vote, it never ends. just accept it for what it is. Brown is not pleased.
    You mean like they're doing in Wisconsin, right?

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HuZkurZ View Post
    You mean like they're doing in Wisconsin, right?
    no.

no.
    Exactly.

Travel Squad

It's good. People shouldn't be denied employment or terminated for being gay.

I don't understand why people are so wound up that JP Morgan made a bad trade. The Feds have done the right think by forcing big banks to increase capital reserves. So, JPM was more than able to absorb the trading loss... That's capitalism at work with an overlay of regulation to protect our economy. No more regulation is needed.

Husker Fan

Exactly.
    so why are you advocating discrimination?

so why are you advocating discrimination?
    I don't need an ordinance to tell me that it's right to treat people equally. To my point.....you believe the vote was 5-0 and that should be that, I believe you said

just accept it for what it is
    Is that the way you feel about the recall of Walker in Wisconsin? You clearly made this sound like a right vs left issue.

Husker Fan

I don't need an ordinance to tell me that it's right to treat people equally. To my point.....you believe the vote was 5-0 and that should be that, I believe you said "just accept it for what it is". Is that the way you feel about the recall of Walker in Wisconsin? You clearly made this sound like a right vs left issue.
    i don't even care about what's going on in Whisky.

i don't even care about what's going on in Whisky.
    What's wrong with the community of Lincoln deciding what's best for Lincoln?

Quote Originally Posted by Weinosker View Post
    I don't understand why people are so wound up that JP Morgan made a bad trade. The Feds have done the right think by forcing big banks to increase capital reserves. So, JPM was more than able to absorb the trading loss... That's capitalism at work with an overlay of regulation to protect our economy. No more regulation is needed.
    Isn't the concern that the bankers themselves didn't really know what their position was, and neither did the regulators? If that's true you worry that a bank might be able to take positions leading to a $200 billion loss. Sure, they might break regulations in the process and we'd be able to put them in jail after the fact. But that's little consolation if the taxpayer foots the bill. So the question is, could other regulations prevent banks from being capable of taking these kinds of positions in the first place?

All Legend
    What's wrong with the community of Lincoln deciding what's best for Lincoln?
    Because then my community could run me out of town for not being one of them

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    Because then my community could run me out of town for not being one of them
    I think it was Marge Simpson who said, "anyone who beats you up for wearing a shirt isn't your friend." Wise words.

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    Passed by a 5-0 margin, with two members abstaining due to "conflict of interest." Sounds like there's a petition effort underway to put it to a public vote.

Here's the Journal Star article on it. Thoughts?

http://journalstar.com/news/local/go...e36d44ce4.html
    To be honest, haven't read the ordinance, but due to it's opposition from small business, perhaps it's just lacking some of the common sense details we have discussed in previous threads. Also, sounds like it should be put to a vote, per State law anyway. In the long run, a vote is better as it will be taken as a mandate from the people...and I have no doubt that a fair and common sense amendment will be well received by the voters in Lincoln.