Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama and Wall Street

Obama and Wall Street

This running in Colorado:

Can't wait for the change to take effect.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

Husker Fan

ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    ha.
    Gotta laugh to keep from cryin...

Good plan, cause there's so much more where this came from (Mr. Obama himself).

Travel Squad

Good commercial

Interesting.

At first glance, I had some questions for the people who have commented here. such as:

1. Is this unique to Obama?
    2. Are former Wall Street Ex. better White House employees than lobbyist, Washington lawyers and career Political Advisors/Campaign Consultants?

Then, I looked closer. I noticed the small text under the pictures that pop up.

A. One guy has a net worth of 27 million. Is this something that we think is bad?
    B. Another guy has $17 million in his foundation. What is wrong with that?

Then I noticed the names as they scrolled by:

1. Stephen Friedman: Goldman Sachs | (Where have I heard that name before?)
    2. David Stevens: Long and Foster | (I wonder if anyone seeing the commercial knows who Long & Foster are? I wonder in anyone who posted here knows that Long & Foster isn't a Wall Street firm and doesn't even have offices in NY. )

What should a conservative red-blooded American want from their President's staff? Do successful business people make for bad political advisers?

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    Interesting.

At first glance, I had some questions for the people who have commented here. such as:

1. Is this unique to Obama?
    2. Are former Wall Street Ex. better White House employees than lobbyist, Washington lawyers and career Political Advisors/Campaign Consultants?

Then, I looked closer. I noticed the small text under the pictures that pop up.

A. One guy has a net worth of 27 million. Is this something that we think is bad?
    B. Another guy has $17 million in his foundation. What is wrong with that?

Then I noticed the names as they scrolled by:

1. Stephen Friedman: Goldman Sachs | (Where have I heard that name before?)
    2. David Stevens: Long and Foster | (I wonder if anyone seeing the commercial knows who Long & Foster are? I wonder in anyone who posted here knows that Long & Foster isn't a Wall Street firm and doesn't even have offices in NY. )

What should a conservative red-blooded American want from their President's staff? Do successful business people make for bad political advisers?
    I don't disagree with anything you say here. This is what I find interesting: Obama claims to be cracking down on Wall Street.

There seems to be a bit of speaking out of both sides of his mouth going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Weinosker View Post
    I don't disagree with anything you say here. This is what I find interesting: Obama claims to be cracking down on Wall Street.

There seems to be a bit of speaking out of both sides of his mouth going on.
    Are you suggesting that cracking down on Wall Street can't be done if you have a ex Wall Street types on your staff?

Are you familiar with Dodd Frank? Are you familiar with the "Volcker Rule"?

Let's walk through this together:

Who regulates Wall Street? (Hint: The SEC)
    Who runs the SEC? (Hint: 5 Commissions lead by a Chairman)
    Who first appointed the current Chairman to the Commission? (Hint: RR)
    Who next appointed the current Chairman to the Commission? (Hint GB)

So, tell me again, how is anything in this commercial illustrative on a lack of 'cracking down' on Wall Street?

Also, don't call them ex-Wall Street. Just like the previous administrations, they will all go back as soon as they are done in Washington.

Also, remember the Geithner was probably going to be Secretary of the Treasury no matter who won the last election.

Here is nice article that points out many, many of the ways the commercial in the OP is not factual.

Romney has pulled in $12.5 million from the sector -- more than twice as much as Obama -- with $6.2 million coming from Wall Street.

Seriously, I would love to hear from CO, redmachine, Weinosker, et al: Do you really think that Obama has closer ties to Wall Street than Romney?

Those on the left would say they are the same ties.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post

Seriously, I would love to hear from CO, redmachine, Weinosker, et al: Do you really think that Obama has closer ties to Wall Street than Romney?
    I don't care if Obama has a staff comprised of 100% Wall Street execs...doesn't bother me.

I just recall his mantra of change during the election of 2008 and how he wasn't going to help the "fat cats". I'm only seeing the same practices used in other administrations and some of the "fat cats" in his inner circle.

No change.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by redmachine View Post
    I don't care if Obama has a staff comprised of 100% Wall Street execs...doesn't bother me.

I just recall his mantra of change during the election of 2008 and how he wasn't going to help the "fat cats". I'm only seeing the same practices used in other administrations and some of the "fat cats" in his inner circle.

No change.
    Hype and Blame 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

Quote Originally Posted by redmachine View Post

No change.
    Let me know how the Volker Rule and Dodd Frank are viewed by Wall Street? Just last month, Fox News called Dodd Frank "legislation that read like a progressive’s wish list of how to fundamentally change Wall Street."

So, has Obama gone too far to reform Wall Street like FOX is complaining about or is he too chummy with Wall Street? Which is it?

Too chummy.