Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Minnesota Coach in Local interview touts Northern Leage summer/fall baseball

Scout Team

Minnesota Coach in Local interview touts Northern Leage summer/fall baseball

Anybody else hear this interview? He was on USC or Sports nightly and had some really good points about how the northern baseball league would work. Said it would include a championship (CWS?) and would be a great fit for all Northern League baseball teams. I don't remember all of the details, but his points all made good sense and changed my opinion toward the "tell me more" side where before I was "No way Jose". Did not talk about trying to tie baseball games with College Football saturdays, I think I heard the Purdue or Northwestern coach try to sell that and USC guys shot that all to pieces.

Who knows what is going to come of this, but if MLB gets involved, perhaps it is not the worst idea in the world. Disclaimer.....I am a casual observer so I have no real opinion whatsoever! That being said, I like the idea of us going to the CWS someday, If there were a Northern League Championship held in Omaha, I would like us to go to that too!

Discuss...

Cake or Death?
    I say if that happens let NU be a baseball only member of the Big 12

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

Scout Team

Bad Idea. No more discussion needed

It's hard enough to recruit players to Big Ten baseball. Recruiting them to a place where they won't have a chance at the CWS will prove damn near impossible, I think.

Travel Squad
    The Minnesota coach seems to have no interest in competing for championships. This is, probably, the worst idea to ever emerge from the Big Ten conference.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebugeater View Post
    Bad Idea. No more discussion needed
    That was easy! I take it you heard the interview?

LET ME BE CLEAR.......I'm not saying I'm for it or against it, I'm just saying he brought up some points that made me realize there is more to it that just losing the opportunity to be in the CWS.....the opponents of this idea seem to have it out that it will destroy baseball in Northern states as we know it, and maybe it will. Until this interview, I had not heard anything that made me think this might be beneficial to the teams that participate, just that it was a bad idea.

I might be willing to admit, if it is nearly impossible for a B1G team to get into the CWS field (which if you are not the top team in the B1G,) then this notion might seem appealing. Of course our goal is always to win regular and tourney titles, and if that happens we will be happy to be in the situation we are in.

If anybody has a link to the interview it might be worth a listen if you want to hear an argument that may represent what it appears Most of our B1G brothers are thinking about. Then again....Bad Idea, No more discussion needed.

Recruiting could be a major issue why this is bad......I do not even know about the origins of the idea to know if other conferences are supporting this idea, if the B1G came up with it themselves or if it is just a pipe dream (like division 1 college football playoffs )

Just seeking knowledge for my own satisfaction.....so far it is pretty clear on here that all of us say No Go to this idea. Fair enough, discussion ended!

Red Shirt
    Recruiting could be a major issue why this is bad
    How much worse could recruiting to the B1G be? In fact, recruiting to the B1G is so bad, that this might actually help recruiting in the Big 10.

Remember, the Big 10 hasn't seen a team in the CWS since 1984 when the tourney was regionalized, and there is a reason for this.
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda Cheese View Post
    How much worse could recruiting to the B1G be? In fact, recruiting to the B1G is so bad, that this might actually help recruiting in the Big 10.

Remember, the Big 10 hasn't seen a team in the CWS since 1984 when the tourney was regionalized, and there is a reason for this.
    Sounds like excuses to me. Michigan made a super regional post '84 and Purdue could do it this year. There are ten MLB franchises in the B1G footprint and many fine ball players. Combined with facilities, there is nothing more you need for the recruiting narrative.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Heisman

maybe more of the northern schools should build domed stadiums and that will remove the "weather" factor.

Red Shirt
    Sounds like excuses to me. Michigan made a super regional post '84 and Purdue could do it this year
    It is what it is, Ohio State also was on the cusp of the CWS in 2003 when it hosted SMS (after SMS won the Lincoln regional) in a Super.

We know it can be done, heck even San Jose St and ULaLa have been in Omaha since the Super regional format was instituted.

The B1G needs to do things that help road to Omaha get less rough, such as relaxing the antiquated schollie limitations....
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

Red Shirt
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_World_Series

This is a great link to all things true about College baseball
    There are ALWAYS surprises in college baseball and that's what makes it great!
    The hard is what makes it great.

Red Shirt
    I didn't hear the interview, but is the proposal to add fall baseball and still compete in spring baseball? Or dump spring baseball in favor of a fall league for northern teams?

If it is the former, I am for it. The big disadvantage that northern teams have is not being able to practice outside or play at home during a good portion of the spring. So this would give them more reps.

If the proposal is the latter, then I say . It is equivalent to saying we just can't compete, we give up, so we are going to start a Division 1-AA league for the weenies.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Howl View Post
    I didn't hear the interview, but is the proposal to add fall baseball and still compete in spring baseball? Or dump spring baseball in favor of a fall league for northern teams?

If it is the former, I am for it. The big disadvantage that northern teams have is not being able to practice outside or play at home during a good portion of the spring. So this would give them more reps.

If the proposal is the latter, then I say . It is equivalent to saying we just can't compete, we give up, so we are going to start a Division 1-AA league for the weenies.
    100% with you. This is the B1G, supposedly the best conference in all the land, and we've got coaches who would rather tuck their tail and run away, then try and improve baseball in the conference? It's pathetic.

Yeah, yeah, I know, northern schools, scholarship limits, league rules, blah, blah blah. In the immortal words of Dan Hawkins "This ain't intramurals son." Or maybe that's what some B1G coaches would rather it be. Obviously these coaches who would rather break away and do fall ball don't have the goal of being a big-time college baseball coach, they'd rather wallow in obscurity, and collect a decent paycheck, then actually put in the extra effort to improve their program.