Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Obama Backs Gay Marriage

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    You're right. It's his supporters that are claiming the high ground. I wonder how many people who worship at his altar for this recent flip-flop would even give Dick Cheney the time of day.
    What I think is clear is that you believe people with the opinions of Cheney and Obama on this issue are on the high ground. That's cool.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

All Big 10
    You're right. It's his supporters that are claiming the high ground. I wonder how many people who worship at his altar for this recent flip-flop would even give Dick Cheney the time of day.
    Maybe not very many, but then Cheney is their opponent. How many gay marriage opponent would give Al Sharpton the time time of day?
    Moving on...

Welcome Coach Riley! Go Big Red!!!

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    Maybe not very many, but then Cheney is their opponent. How many gay marriage opponent would give Al Sharpton the time time of day?
    Whoops, forgot the Cheney thing. My mistake.

But your post still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Gay marriage supporters aren't alike on all issues. Would we expect them to be?
    Moving on...

Welcome Coach Riley! Go Big Red!!!

Ayyy!

Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    What I think is clear is that you believe people with the opinions of Cheney and Obama on this issue are on the high ground. That's cool.
    Please don't put words in my mouth. TIA

Travel Squad

Please don't put words in my mouth. TIA
    I'm pretty sure the clear meaning of your words at post #120 is that Obama thinks he can claim the high ground on this issue when in fact the high ground lies with Cheney who beat him to the same position.

If that is not what you meant, then your words were poorly chosen. Oh wait, #135 admits that. Carry on.

(Must have been a Freudian slip that caused you to post that Cheney beat Obama to the high ground. )
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Ayyy!

I'm pretty sure the clear meaning of your words at post #120 is that Obama thinks he can claim the high ground on this issue when in fact the high ground lies with Cheney who beat him to the same position.

If that is not what you meant, then your words were poorly chosen. Oh wait, #135 admits that. Carry on.

(Must have been a Freudian slip that caused you to post that Cheney beat Obama to the high ground. )
    It's their own self-proclaimed high ground. I didn't say I agreed with either of them, did I? For a smart guy, you sure are having a hard time grasping a simple concept. I just think it's funny that Obama is being praised up and down, but the very same people absolutely hate Cheney. I'm sure there are articles out there that praised Cheney's position, but there certainly wasn't an overflow of gushing love and support for him.

It's unfortunate that these things are so politicized to the point where only your side can do something right. I hope you can take your Obama-blinders off for half a second to see that. Even if you won't admit it here.

Travel Squad

It's their own self-proclaimed high ground. I didn't say I agreed with either of them, did I? For a smart guy, you sure are having a hard time grasping a simple concept. I just think it's funny that Obama is being praised up and down, but the very same people absolutely hate Cheney. I'm sure there are articles out there that praised Cheney's position, but there certainly wasn't an overflow of gushing love and support for him.

It's unfortunate that these things are so politicized to the point where only your side can do something right. I hope you can take your Obama-blinders off for half a second to see that. Even if you won't admit it here.
    Wrong again. I was impressed with Cheney's positions on gay issues.

But that's not his whole body of work, now is it?

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Ayyy!

Wrong again. I was impressed with Cheney's positions on gay issues.

But that's not his whole body of work, now is it?
    Yes, I'm sure you blogged all over the place over it.

Travel Squad

Yes, I'm sure you blogged all over the place over it.

Don't know if I did or didn't. But I remember talking with my wife about it. And I also remember talking with my golfing buddies about it, about 80% of whom are Pubs, as is usually the case at private clubs.

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Ayyy!

Don't know if I did or didn't. But I remember talking with my wife about it. And I also remember talking with my golfing buddies about it, about 80% of whom are Pubs, as is usually the case at private clubs.
    Who am I to argue with your anecdotal evidence?

At some point in the future gay marriage will be legal in every state. It might take a generation or so when the old folks who are against it die off, but the younger people are in favor of it.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Evansvillehusker View Post
    At some point in the future gay marriage will be legal in every state. It might take a generation or so when the old folks who are against it die off, but the younger people are in favor of it.

Dont kid yourself that this is an old vs young issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Thats called football...I dont tune in on saturdays to see their grades
    Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    This is hardly a surprise.
    This reeks of desperation. This is a states right ordeal I personally don't have a problem with gays being together, but in reality a compromise should be made and this call it a civil union, Gays want to people to respect their relationships but they don't respect the religious beliefs of others.. Come on just meet half way Gays get Civil Unions, Straights get the marriage word.. is that so hard?

Quote Originally Posted by statman29 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    This is hardly a surprise.
    This reeks of desperation. This is a states right ordeal I personally don't have a problem with gays being together, but in reality a compromise should be made and this call it a civil union, Gays want to people to respect their relationships but they don't respect the religious beliefs of others.. Come on just meet half way Gays get Civil Unions, Straights get the marriage word.. is that so hard?
    It is when have a two party system where you're supposed to pick one extreme or the other.

I dunno if the timing of POTUS' announcement regarding same-sex marriage was politically motivated or not. I'll give him the benefit of a doubt. What's next? Another phony terrorist plot foiled? Er... Speaking of phony, I agree with a previous post that marriage is religious. But, it is not Biblical. That the Christian mythologists, calling themselves the Church, have erected their fable (da Bible), which for absurdity and extravagance is not exceeded by anything that is to be found in the mythology of the ancients, there is no doubt. And, I get it. But, according Joseph Martos "...author of Doors to the Sacred: A Historical Introduction to Sacraments in the Catholic Church, which for more than a quarter of a century has been the most widely read book on the subject," (source, Liturgical Press) ... “Before the eleventh century there was no such thing as a Christian wedding ceremony in the Latin church, and throughout the Middle Ages there was no single church ritual for solemnizing marriage between Christians... Only in the twelfth century was a claim made for some supernatural favor (grace) bestowed on marriage as a sacrament. By the next century marriage had been added to the biblically sacred number of seven sacraments. Since Thomas Aquinas argued that the spouses’ consent is the efficient cause of marriage and the seal of intercourse was the final cause, it is hard to see what a priest’s blessing could add to the reality of the bond."

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog...ew+of+Books%29

"Those who do not want to let gay partners have the sacredness of sacramental marriage are relying on a Scholastic fiction of the thirteenth century to play with people’s lives." The author of the entire article "is a prolific Pulitzer Prize-winning author, journalist, and historian, specializing in American history, politics, and religion, as well as the history of the Roman Catholic Church."

Not only dat, if marriage is Biblical, it would only subtract from, not add to the power of the marriage argument since da Book is an anthology of fabrication itself, imo. The idea of two persons of the same sex getting “married” evokes protest because it is a parody of heterosexual unions. A parody is a take-off on the original, one that apes the form but denies or mocks its essence. Except for money matters, dunno why same-sex partners want to be "legit" anyway (everyone has their "reasons," I guess). It seems to me it goes against what makes gayness appealing, freedom...