Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: GOP dodges vote on civil unions in Colorado

All Legend

GOP dodges vote on civil unions in Colorado

They refused to bring the bill to the floor on the last day, using parliamentary games to delay. Why? Because enough Republicans had said they would vote for it that it was certain to pass.

Mario Nicolais, spokesman for Coloradans for Freedom, the GOP group formed solely to push for the passage of civil unions, watched the defeat in agony. As a Republican, and an admitted hard-core partisan, Nicolais said he is concerned about the fallout in November.

Republicans have a one-seat edge in the House and are trying to win back the Senate from Democrats.

"I'm more concerned about the Republican majority in the fall than I am about civil unions passing," Nicolais said.

"Civil unions will pass at some point. That's going to happen. But I think people are going to very upset at how this happened. I think it's going to resonate and I worry about that as a Republican."
    http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...vil-union-bill

What's odd is that in an April poll, only 22% of Coloradoans were opposed to both gay marriage and civil unions. That may be understating opposition a little for some reasons, but it is pretty overwhelming.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p..._CO_041312.pdf

Bizzaro.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

Administrator
    Most of my republican friends see Marriage as a religious institution and should be reserved for a man and women. However all of the non-religious items that the government has added to this religious institution has nothing to do with religion and should be given to all that claim to love each other.

So I am very surprised that GOP had enough to block this. This is the one thing I think both sides can agree with so I am surprised by this.

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    Most of my republican friends see Marriage as a religious institution and should be reserved for a man and women. However all of the non-religious items that the government has added to this religious institution has nothing to do with religion and should be given to all that claim to love each other.

So I am very surprised that GOP had enough to block this. This is the one thing I think both sides can agree with so I am surprised by this.
    Well, that's how I feel too. Opposing a redefinition of marriage at least is understandable. Opposing civil unions seems just mean.

I think the reason Republicans blocked it is because the 22% who oppose are probably 40% of their party, and it is very important to them. But for the slight majority of Republicans who support civil union, it's not their biggest issue. I think there are probably many of those Republicans who are feeling pretty uncomfortable having to go against such overwhelming numbers in public opinion.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

Two businesses are now claiming they are leaving the state due to these hijinx; it delayed or destroyed about 20 other initiatives that had some direct effect on their business and they don't want to have their corporate HQs in a State that would play these games. One of those businesses is the Breckenridge Brewery. Great job, Colorado Republicans! Very pro business and small government of ya.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Two businesses are now claiming they are leaving the state due to these hijinx; it delayed or destroyed about 20 other initiatives that had some direct effect on their business and they don't want to have their corporate HQs in a State that would play these games. One of those businesses is the Breckenridge Brewery. Great job, Colorado Republicans! Very pro business and small government of ya.
    That is not a republican problem. That problem is because you are allowed to attach other things to bills. As long as you do that both sides pull crap like that.

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Heisman

respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    That is not a republican problem. That problem is because you are allowed to attach other things to bills. As long as you do that both sides pull crap like that.
    No, in this case a whole bunch of unrelated legislation got tabled until the next session because of specific Republican stalling tactics related directly to the Civil Unions bill. They swept the opportunity to vote on about 20 other things away just so they wouldn't get to vote on the Civil Unions bill. This wasn't about a few random business legislation pieces being attached to the Civil Unions bill.

The use of parliamentary procedures and other shenanigans (like sneaking out of the state to prevent the legislature from having a quorum) seems increasingly common these days. With rare exception, I don't think it is right for a party to use these means to thwart legislation that would pass but for this kind of conduct.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Administrator
    No, in this case a whole bunch of unrelated legislation got tabled until the next session because of specific Republican stalling tactics related directly to the Civil Unions bill. They swept the opportunity to vote on about 20 other things away just so they wouldn't get to vote on the Civil Unions bill. This wasn't about a few random business legislation pieces being attached to the Civil Unions bill.
    Again, why is that allowed by both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    They refused to bring the bill to the floor on the last day, using parliamentary games to delay. Why? Because enough Republicans had said they would vote for it that it was certain to pass.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...vil-union-bill

What's odd is that in an April poll, only 22% of Coloradoans were opposed to both gay marriage and civil unions. That may be understating opposition a little for some reasons, but it is pretty overwhelming.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p..._CO_041312.pdf

Bizzaro.
    Perhaps they are concerned about a fiasco like in California, where the electorate wholeheartedly supported Civil Unions, and had shown bipartisan support for them. Only to have that arbitrarily extended to a redefinition of marriage even in the face of very clear bipartisan opposition as shown by two separate votes. Isn't it better to have this decision ironed out at the federal level first?

Good news! Governor Hickenlooper is calling them all back for a special session!

Heisman

Good news! Governor Hickenlooper is calling them all back for a special session!

Hickenlooper? That's really his name? How can you get elected with a name like Hickenlooper?
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Hickenlooper? That's really his name? How can you get elected with a name like Hickenlooper?
    easy name to remember, don't have to pay tons for advertising/campaigning...I know I'd remember a name like that.

The use of parliamentary procedures and other shenanigans (like sneaking out of the state to prevent the legislature from having a quorum) seems increasingly common these days. With rare exception, I don't think it is right for a party to use these means to thwart legislation that would pass but for this kind of conduct.

Without such shenanigans, we wouldn't have Obamacare.

Hick is awesome. Was the mayor of Denver for many years, one election the Republicans didn't even bother to run a candidate against him since his approval rating was 93%. Then he got elected as Governor in 2010 when by all rights a Republican should have been able to waltz in and take any office in the land. His first mayoral campaign ad showed him sitting at the bar he co-owned, drinking a beer. He's a very pro-business, socially progressive guy and I hope he makes his way to the national stage at some point. You'd like him!

Intellectual Patriot
    So, they pulled the Haggarty Gambit. Hmmmmmmmmm.........
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Heisman

Colorado might be the starting gates for another possible POTUS...kudos! Rocky Mountain High! Indeed!

Society Crazy Indeed
    well any company that wants to leave a state..Texas will take you and the people you bring with you and call it job creation rather than job displacement. Then the state will pay your corporate taxes for ya for the first 5-10-15 years while you adjust to the new environment and settle in. Oh now you want to expand and bring in a California branch of your corporation as well...well shoot y'all we are some damn good ole boys down here...we will just have to extend your tax break another 10 years. Could we at least use a Texas based moving firm to move y'all? it sure would help us because billy bobs trucking has put in the lowest bid and said it would help them create 2 new jobs.....hot dang!

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

I just hope that they resolve this issue. I'd hate to see the pubs tuck tail and flee the state to stall/prevent a vote. That is a parliamentary procedure reserved for the cowardly (i.e. dems).