Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Most Persuasive Case for Eliminating Black Studies

Why does a college degree have to do with a professional career at all? This continues to be a major misunderstanding on the part of many when discussing college educations. The point is to get smarter. You can go off in any number of professional directions with both the piece of paper they hand you after four years and, more importantly, the critical thinking skills you've learned if you've gone to a good school and been taught by good professors. I can count on one hand the people I know whose college degrees have been in the field they've gone into. I got a degree in English Literature and I've been working in IT close to 15 years. When I was a teenager working at Baskin Robins I had a boss with a degree in Agriculture who'd never worked in Ag a day in his life.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Why does a college degree have to do with a professional career at all? This continues to be a major misunderstanding on the part of many when discussing college educations. The point is to get smarter. You can go off in any number of professional directions with both the piece of paper they hand you after four years and, more importantly, the critical thinking skills you've learned if you've gone to a good school and been taught by good professors. I can count on one hand the people I know whose college degrees have been in the field they've gone into. I got a degree in English Literature and I've been working in IT close to 15 years. When I was a teenager working at Baskin Robins I had a boss with a degree in Agriculture who'd never worked in Ag a day in his life.
    Good point Show. I think the issue was more of those getting advanced degrees, Phds etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

Quote Originally Posted by HuZkurZ View Post
    Good point Show. I think the issue was more of those getting advanced degrees, Phds etc.

I think the logic is the same though. Why does one get a degree in Philosophy or say Organizational leadership and learning? How is it different?? Because it's ethnic studies???

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Agree. They are pushing degrees in the fire service for the only reason of cutting the amount of people that apply. (you can have 5,000+ apply for one spot)

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybigguy View Post
    I think the logic is the same though. Why does one get a degree in Philosophy or say Organizational leadership and learning? How is it different?? Because it's ethnic studies???
    I would also wonder about advanced degrees in Philosophy, unless someone was going to go into seminary, Womens studies, Male studies if iit existed or I.M. Hips degree in basket weaving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, only 20% of new jobs required a bachelors degree in 2010. The BLS reckons that by 2020 the overwhelming majority of jobs will still require only a high school diploma or less and nearly three quarters of “job openings due to growth and replacement needs” will pay a median wage of less than $35,000 a year, with nearly 30 per cent paying a median of about $20,000 a year (in 2010 dollars). By that time, less than five percent of the US jobs will require a masters or doctorate. We need more Black Studies PhDs, not less. The blogger has been fired. Dunno...

Other wacky degrees:
    The Beatles, Liverpool Hope University
    Puppetry, University of Connecticut
    Parapsychology, Coventry University
    Anime, Tokyo University of the Arts
    Sequential Art, Savannah College of Art and Design
    CNN

As a sheltered white guy that grew up in Elkhorn, my Black Studies class I took in college was extremely enlightening.......now a full degree on the subject my be questionable, but I feel it is absolutely a valuable discipline that is essential for a well rounded education