Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Top Nebraska recruits

  1. #21
    Red Shirt
    70county's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    sioux city
    Posts
    1,472
    Harland gunn is another that was set on being a cane. Junior bryant? a few years back left for ND...always has been a few. Gale sayers, johnny rodgers had he gotten USC offer

  2. #22
    Starter

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    12,277
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    I see your reasoning, but the guys that leave because they don't get a schollie to Nebraska and go to Iowa, Ohio, or one of the Dakota schools, are not given a scholarship because we get guys that are usually top30 at their position nationally.

    I think the coaching staff does a good job explaining that they wish they could have both guys, but in the end the kid knows that someone getting offers from Big10, Big12, or SEC schools as opposed to many D1AA schools and a few lower 1A schools is going to get the offer over them.
    I think I agree with you here, but I also think that if we ever start winning (championships) again, those kids will turn down those other stinky offers in favor of being part of something big at NU--scholly or not. I can also tell you that being a former Husker is of tremendous benefit to you during a business career in Nebraska. This is worth far more than a scholly, that is part of why some walk on"s stick it out. Going out of state, excepting perhaps ND, doesn't help you if you plan to live in Nebraska.

  3. #23
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    102,713
    Alot of familes can't afford $60-$80K to send a child to school thus, a full ride scholarship is a God send in many cases...so I disagree with you once again...

    And as far as business goes if you are good at what you do you can do it anywhere....regardless of where you went to school....

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I think I agree with you here, but I also think that if we ever start winning (championships) again, those kids will turn down those other stinky offers in favor of being part of something big at NU--scholly or not. I can also tell you that being a former Husker is of tremendous benefit to you during a business career in Nebraska. This is worth far more than a scholly, that is part of why some walk on"s stick it out. Going out of state, excepting perhaps ND, doesn't help you if you plan to live in Nebraska.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  4. #24
    Guest

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Loveland, CO
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by hpride1982 View Post
    Seriously? The guy asked a serious question and I'm sure was genuinely interested in what people had to say but good response.
    Oh, now that had me rolling in the isles!

  5. #25
    Varsity
    HuskerRedDread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back & forth between Omaha & San Antonio
    Posts
    10,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Alot of familes can't afford $60-$80K to send a child to school thus, a full ride scholarship is a God send in many cases...so I disagree with you once again...

    And as far as business goes if you are good at what you do you can do it anywhere....regardless of where you went to school....
    This.

    There are a lot of successful businesses run in Lincoln by guys whom aren't "ex-Huskers". There are a couple businesses ran by ex-huskers that are no longer relevant today or are struggling currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarstheRed View Post
    I'm not looking for perfection, but you have to feel that every time Bo saw TM about to be interviewed he had to have a serious case of butt clench.

  6. #26
    Starter

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    12,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Alot of familes can't afford $60-$80K to send a child to school thus, a full ride scholarship is a God send in many cases...so I disagree with you once again...

    And as far as business goes if you are good at what you do you can do it anywhere....regardless of where you went to school....
    It is sad to see that we've reduced the availability of football scholarships to Nebraska residents, for the reason you cited. I guess it's true in America now-a-days that nothing matters more than sex, sports and greed.

    As for business, you are not very savvy in that regard if you are unaware of the business advantages and connections made available to former Huskers in Nebraska that are NOT available to them elsewhere. That's probably understandable, you don't live here to see it.

  7. #27
    Starter

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    12,277
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    This.

    There are a lot of successful businesses run in Lincoln by guys whom aren't "ex-Huskers". There are a couple businesses ran by ex-huskers that are no longer relevant today or are struggling currently.
    No one is gauranteed success, but these guys get opportunities than can be parlayed that are unavailable to many others. You can probably find a lot of these guys that ended up as "failures" because they were given unwarrabnted opportunities. They may start high, but finish low. Anyone that thinks football prepares these kids for business or life, is in dreamland.

  8. #28
    Recruit
    Vinny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Omaha via Grand Island
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    No one is gauranteed success, but these guys get opportunities than can be parlayed that are unavailable to many others. You can probably find a lot of these guys that ended up as "failures" because they were given unwarrabnted opportunities. They may start high, but finish low. Anyone that thinks football prepares these kids for business or life, is in dreamland.
    Anyone who thinks athletes contributing to a giant money maker like Husker football are going to get preferential treatment in regards to scholarships because of where they grew up and not their skill level or potential is in dreamland.
    "Welcome to the night train." - Hunter S. Thompson

  9. #29
    Starter

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    12,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    Anyone who thinks athletes contributing to a giant money maker like Husker football are going to get preferential treatment in regards to scholarships because of where they grew up and not their skill level or potential is in dreamland.
    You missed the point of the post you replied to. The point of that post was that after graduation, former Huskers get opportunities (or preferential treatment, as you call it) that are unavailable to others, if they stay in Nebraska. This is post career, not preferential treatment for schollies. If they go "elsewhere" to play, these local opportunities typically evaporate.

  10. #30
    Varsity
    HuskerRedDread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back & forth between Omaha & San Antonio
    Posts
    10,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    No one is gauranteed success, but these guys get opportunities than can be parlayed that are unavailable to many others. You can probably find a lot of these guys that ended up as "failures" because they were given unwarrabnted opportunities. They may start high, but finish low. Anyone that thinks football prepares these kids for business or life, is in dreamland.
    this is your argument.....?

    What opportunities were any of these ex-Huskers given for their business that hasn't been given for someone whom may have come from Iowa or Missouri......or is this another general statement and/or opinion that you are pushing off to be a fact.

    And I never used the word "failure", I just know that some ex-huskers had business a couple to few years back and if you go to the spot where it was today or to the website, it's no longer there.

    You are jumping all over the place with this post. I never said that football prepares these kids for business or life, but there are things that you learn on the field that can be used in life and/or business.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarstheRed View Post
    I'm not looking for perfection, but you have to feel that every time Bo saw TM about to be interviewed he had to have a serious case of butt clench.

  11. #31
    Varsity
    HuskerRedDread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back & forth between Omaha & San Antonio
    Posts
    10,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    You missed the point of the post you replied to. The point of that post was that after graduation, former Huskers get opportunities (or preferential treatment, as you call it) that are unavailable to others, if they stay in Nebraska. This is post career, not preferential treatment for schollies. If they go "elsewhere" to play, these local opportunities typically evaporate.

    Do you have a link proving that they get this "preferential treatment" in their careers in Lincoln. I know fans will be fans of these players because of the school they produced stats for, but I can't think of any bank that will qualify a player for a loan simply because he was an all conference player. I don't know of anyone who donated a building/facility to a player for his business because he was an all american player.

    Truth is, there are a bunch of ex-huskers who stick around shortly after graduating and/or leaving the program. They have the local fame but they have to work just like the fans who pay to see them every Saturday. Some of those players become, business men, some family men, some even become criminals. But that is because of their own actions and choices, not because they are ex-huskers. You are putting too much weight on being a football player for Nebraska.

    One more known example.....when was the last time anyone has been to Scarlet & Cream Letter Club Restaurant. I believe an ex-husker owned or atleast ran that business.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarstheRed View Post
    I'm not looking for perfection, but you have to feel that every time Bo saw TM about to be interviewed he had to have a serious case of butt clench.

  12. #32
    Starter

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    12,277
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    Do you have a link proving that they get this "preferential treatment" in their careers in Lincoln. I know fans will be fans of these players because of the school they produced stats for, but I can't think of any bank that will qualify a player for a loan simply because he was an all conference player. I don't know of anyone who donated a building/facility to a player for his business because he was an all american player.

    Truth is, there are a bunch of ex-huskers who stick around shortly after graduating and/or leaving the program. They have the local fame but they have to work just like the fans who pay to see them every Saturday. Some of those players become, business men, some family men, some even become criminals. But that is because of their own actions and choices, not because they are ex-huskers. You are putting too much weight on being a football player for Nebraska.

    One more known example.....when was the last time anyone has been to Scarlet & Cream Letter Club Restaurant. I believe an ex-husker owned or atleast ran that business.
    I won't name names, but I have know MANY ex-Huskers who got their foot in the door solely based on their football careers. It's probably far more common in Omaha than Lincoln because there are far more large private businesses in Omaha. I am not talking about anyone "giving" or "donating" buildings or businesses to players...just getting their career a huge kickstart.

  13. #33
    Junior Varsity

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    6,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I won't name names, but I have know MANY ex-Huskers who got their foot in the door solely based on their football careers. It's probably far more common in Omaha than Lincoln because there are far more large private businesses in Omaha. I am not talking about anyone "giving" or "donating" buildings or businesses to players...just getting their careers a huge kickstart.
    I can name a few that have gotten their jobs just because they were former Nebraska players....


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •