Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Book Review from the early days of option football

Hybrid View

Scout Team

Book Review from the early days of option football

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/...not-bad-for-2/

Thought I'd share it here as Joe Walljasper is one of my favorite writers and he does a nice job reflecting on how times have changed since around 1950.

This is just some light Sunday reading it's nothing all that current.

Fight Tigers!

Don Faurot may have invented the option but TO refined it!!!

Red Shirt
    OMG, what a fantastic find. I hadn't realized there was a Missouri connection to what became the option (or triple option). For some unknown reason, I had thought Daryl Royal (sp?) had abig hand in it.

Would love to see Osborne's reaction would be to seeing this book.

Thanks for sharing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    OMG, what a fantastic find. I hadn't realized there was a Missouri connection to what became the option (or triple option). For some unknown reason, I had thought Daryl Royal (sp?) had abig hand in it.

Would love to see Osborne's reaction would be to seeing this book.

Thanks for sharing this.
    Royal's innovation was giving the go ahead to his OC Emory Bellard to use Bellard's creation the Wishbone. They moved the fullback up a yard in the straight "T" Formation.

So essentially, the Wishbone is a modification of the T... in fact the original name for it was the "Wishbone T" formation.

Placing the Fullback so close to the line allowed a quick hitting fullback to get to the second level very quickly and forced the defenses to reinforce the middle giving a mismatch on the edges.

You also bring the FB into a great blocking position running dive plays to either side of the field. That was Barry Switzer's wrinkle. Switzer started running I formation plays out of the wishbone.

My, my.... how writing skills have dropped in four generations... and coach speak is the worst of all languages...

"were realized with only average personnel — the athletes of ordinary talents and intelligence."

"We needed the deception of the 'Split T' together with its promise of more offensive punch to offset the superior manpower mustered by our opponents,"

"If we couldn't beat them down to size, then we might bewilder them! It was worth a try."

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinTxHusker View Post
    My, my.... how writing skills have dropped in four generations... and coach speak is the worst of all languages...

[/FONT]
    I was fortunate enough to hear Coach Faurot speak around 1988 when I was in high school. He still had a very classy way about presenting himself.

Fight Tigers!

Found this one interesting... perhaps Ron Brown should consider...

"The coach should live with, and associate with, respectable people. He should join a church and maintain activity in religious
    groups. He should join a service club to maintain his downtown contacts. Speech-making is always a coach's obligation, and he should be ready to deliver one briefly and to the point on any occasion.

"Since the coach should be an example to the many aspiring young athletes in the community, he should not drink, smoke or swear in public. Setting a good example will make his work easier. He should not get involved in politics, either school, city or state. He must be above reproach in all financial, moral and social dealings."

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinTxHusker View Post
    Found this one interesting... perhaps Ron Brown should consider...
    I don't have strong feelings on the Ron Brown dust up but I admit that this crossed my mind when I saw that quote.

Fight Tigers!