Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martinez Breakout Year

Scout Team

Martinez Breakout Year

Well its time to stir things up in here its been too quiet lately. I am going out on a limb and stating that I look for Martinez to have a break out year this year. Let me define breakout year first. I am not talking all conference but am looking at 2500 yards passing, 15 TD passes and 950 yards rushing. I think his yards per carry will be up but number of carries will be down as I look for us to pass more. I am basing this on this being his third year as a starter and second year in the Beck offense. In addition his having worked hard at improving. No I dont think we will see a smooth passing delivery but think he will be effective. Let the rock throwing begin. We will check the results at year end.
    Husker follower since 1962

I agree for the most part. I think his rushing stats will be a bit lower, though, unless one of the younger, speedier backs step up and become a real threat this season. IMO, Martinez's rushing stats were helped a lot in 2010 because Helu was fast enough to where the defense's had to worry about him breaking a big run also, and that took some pressure off Martinez. Rex is great at what he does, but opposing team's aren't going to worry too much about his ability to turn the corner and outrun the secondary.

I do expect his passing #'s to be about the same, the big key will be interceptions. He threw an INT every 36 attempts last season, and 1 every 28 attempts in 2010. If he can continue improving in that area, and get close to 1 INT every 45-50 attempts, things could get interesting.

Scout Team
    I don't believe he had totally recovered from his 2010 leg injury last year. I expect TMart (and Sean Fisher) to look much more mobile this year. If his passing improves with better mechanics, he'll be lethal.

Husker Immortal
    Hope springs eternal. We can all hope you're right........wish we had a Spring Game to evaluate progress.
    "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." C. S. Lewis

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoie View Post
    I don't believe he had totally recovered from his 2010 leg injury last year. I expect TMart (and Sean Fisher) to look much more mobile this year. If his passing improves with better mechanics, he'll be lethal.
    Better passing mechanics and one more year running the offense, in particular the option. I'm gonna call this the Tmart year also. This will be his first year running the same offense as the previous year.
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by denisonred View Post
    Well its time to stir things up in here its been too quiet lately. I am going out on a limb and stating that I look for Martinez to have a break out year this year. Let me define breakout year first. I am not talking all conference but am looking at 2500 yards passing, 15 TD passes and 950 yards rushing. I think his yards per carry will be up but number of carries will be down as I look for us to pass more. I am basing this on this being his third year as a starter and second year in the Beck offense. In addition his having worked hard at improving. No I dont think we will see a smooth passing delivery but think he will be effective. Let the rock throwing begin. We will check the results at year end.

I agree with you although his next step may not show up so much in his stats, but in how he leads and manages the team. He'll never look pretty enough as a passer, which is how many laymen like to grade him, but positive plays will eventually silence the critics, for the most part.

From what we hear from other players, he's grabbed the leadership role with gusto. A difficult position that he was put in as a Freshman is something that it sounds like he's grown into.

Unfortunately, there's a portion of our fanbase that seems to enjoy butchering the kid to the max. Kind of sad. I hope this thread doesn't go that direction.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

Junior Varsity
    denison, I couldn't agree more with you. I believe Martinez is going to have a great year. Now if he can improve AND the defense improves I think we will win our division AND the Big 10.

Martinez has a career 3.10% interception rate which is very respectable, it is in line with Joe Ganz 3.08, Tagge 3.14; Frazier 3.38 (includes bowl games); Gill 2.92; Ferragamo 3.16.

His completion rate of 57.4% is better than: Zac Taylor 57.2; Gill 54.2; comparable to Ferragamo 57.5; Crouch 51.1; Frazier 49.5.

In a 14 game season Taylor will pass for 2800 yards and run for 1000. Throw 20+ Touchdowns 10 interceptions, 10+ rushing Touchdowns.

It is going to be so enjoyable to watch TM make all the fair weathered Husker fans look like complete idiots. You know who you are people.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by statman29 View Post
    It is going to be so enjoyable to watch TM make all the fair weathered Husker fans look like complete idiots.
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

If his pass efficiency goes up by 10%-15%, which seems doable, and his receivers drop 20-25% fewer reasonable catches, he will have a good year. Mostly, it seemed to me, that his passes were accurate, but somewhat behind his receivers. If this alone gets fixed, his stats go way up.

pray for me ;)
    I hope Mattinez does have a breakout year but I will believe it when I see it.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Red Shirt
    A lot of excellent posts so far. You all point out several good reasons why TMart should be better this year.

Here's are two more: 1) it's also the 2nd year for Beck to plan and direct an offense - perhaps we will be much less one-dimensional and predictable, and 2) the ever-hoped for (continuing) improvement of the offensive line. Both of these should also help Matinez be more effective.

Well, one can always hope.

All Legend
    I think it is possible to improve significantly in the areas he needs to improve. It could well happen. If it does, I think our defense could become hard to defend.

I hope T-mart has a hard working and productive summer and comes back and lights the world on fire.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

I hope he has a great season!

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by OldRedWood View Post
    If his pass efficiency goes up by 10%-15%, which seems doable, and his receivers drop 20-25% fewer reasonable catches, he will have a good year. Mostly, it seemed to me, that his passes were accurate, but somewhat behind his receivers. If this alone gets fixed, his stats go way up.
    If TM's passing percentage increases by 10-15 percent that would mean he would be a 67 to 72 percent passer. (I am using his 2 year average) and if his receivers were more efficient that would put him somewhere into the "OMG, that is unbelievable!" range.

I think my expectations are a little more modest than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Corn View Post
    If TM's passing percentage increases by 10-15 percent that would mean he would be a 67 to 72 percent passer. (I am using his 2 year average) and if his receivers were more efficient that would put him somewhere into the "OMG, that is unbelievable!" range.

I think my expectations are a little more modest than that.
    Accuracy is not the same as efficiency.

[QUOTE=Pop Corn;932745]If TM's passing percentage increases by 10-15 percent that would mean he would be a 67 to 72 percent passer.

It depends on how you calculate it. For example, a 10% increase from 57% is 5.7%. That would put him in the lower 60's. I think that # may be attainable if everyone around him plays just a bit better (which is reasonable given the improvements in the receiving corp and # of returning starters). One other factor that will impact his %, is oddly enough, the defense. If Taylor his playing with a lead, his stats will improve. If we are consistently playing catch-up, that won't play to his strengths.

Put me squarely in the camp that Taylor will put up better #'s this year (hey, it's spring - why not be optimistic). There are a number of factors already listed in this thread that will provide some tailwind for him - and I hope for great things this year.

Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymountainhusker View Post
    Accuracy is not the same as efficiency.
    Pass efficiency is not listed as a percentage, accuracy is. Therefore the confusion.

A ten to fifteen percent increase in his "efficiency would result in roughly a 150 point rating. If his receivers were also 20 to 25 percent more efficient that would put him in the 170 range. That is a top ten stat range.

However you look at it, it is still a little beyond my expectations. Not saying that I wouldn't enjoy that greatly.

Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by statman29 View Post
    It is going to be so enjoyable to watch TM make all the fair weathered Husker fans look like complete idiots. You know who you are people.
    I don't know about fair-weathered, but a lot have been overly critical. I hope he puts it all together this year. He's on track to break a lot of Husker records and I'd love to see him achieve that because it bodes well for the team as a whole.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.

Red Shirt
    I believe he's been on an emotional roller coaster. He started ( a well kept secret) as a freshman winning the job from a senior, had an outstanding start to his freshman year ( early Heisman talk)Kansas State game on Thursday night National television,,the lights out performance against Oklahoma St., suffered a very tough injury( perhaps came back too soon) and of course the Texas A&M game.
    Sophmore season , new coordinator (less running lost of sliding) the Wisconsin nightmare ( remember Dirk's article the day before the Ohio State game) the great Ohio St. comeback, and the season ending loss to South Carolina.
    There's not much this young ( only a junior) QB hasn't seen. I like his chances the next two years.
    "My job as a football coach is to educate and prepare the kids who come into this program for the rest of their life..." Bo Pelini at the Penn State post game press conference Nov. 12 2011

Husker Fan
    Regarding the idea of Martinez rushing for 950 yards... can't completely rule it out, but it was obvious that the staff found Nebraska's offense to be much more effective with more carries for Rex and fewer for Martinez about a month into the 2011 season.

In TM's last 7 games last season, he never rushed for more than 56 yards in a game. In the 11 games following the opening two, he only rushed for 100 yards once. Just not convinced that he'll be given the same free-reign to run as he was his freshman year with a different o-coordinator than he has now.

He'll still put up numbers, but I'm mostly interested in wins. It would be better for all of us, as fans, if he did succeed. I'm always in the "show me before I'll believe it camp," but I'll still root for the best.