Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anzalone de-commits from Ohio State: Dad: "Something's just not right at Ohio State,"

Oh my!

Recruiting at OSU

Wow, this is a bit surprising:
    During Anzalone's visit to Columbus, Ohio on April 21, he and two other recruits posed for a picture with Charles Eric Waugh of Ashland, Ky., and the photo made its way to Twitter. Only later did Anzalone learn Waugh, 31, had pleaded guilty to five counts of possession of underage sexual content in 2008. Waugh has had several interactions with players and recruits both in person and through social media.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...163223774.html
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Already on the recruiting board from last night....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Moved to recruiting board and merged into the other thread....

All American
    OSU will definitely be making another push for Love.
    For the loser now will be later to win. For the times they are a-changin'.

I expect that too.....Meyer will try and negative recruit against Nebraska to flip him that is his style....but from all I hear he is solid to Nebraska....no interest to flip to Ohio State....much like McMullen last class...

I'm really not worried about losing him....I think the Mooeny connection already at Nebraska and his teammate Marcus McWilson coming with him will be key too...

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerNCorpus View Post

I'm not so certain. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    The question has to be asked is how did this guy get access to these recruits? I think that is where the Dad is questioning what is happening at Ohio State...someone got duped into letting him do so....
    Plus, is it not against NCAA regulations for boosters to have access to recruits? Like, them having undue influence on a recruit to commit to the school?

Red Shirt
    Hey, I was away from the computer for a day and when I get back...all good news. A new recruit for NU and tOSU is burning.

Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by RedEd View Post
    Plus, is it not against NCAA regulations for boosters to have access to recruits? Like, them having undue influence on a recruit to commit to the school?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEd View Post
    With social media, particularly Twitter, the definition of 'booster' has become pretty blurry. I believe anyone who contacts a recruit through social media with a school-oriented message is labeled a booster. Certainly not the traditional sense, but a booster nonetheless.

This man is nothing more than a guy who contacts students online and parties in the same places. He has no contribution to the school whatsoever.

That's where that definition of booster is a problem. As far as the NCAA is concerned, yes -- this guy is a booster. But how do they monitor every single person who tweets an athlete? Mission impossible.

Red Shirt
    Meyer will lose three or four games next season and develop another health problem. This guy is not in it for the long haul and this kind of thing just reminds him why he left Florida. Even a used carl salesman like him realizes he can't control crazy boosters/fans like this guy .
    Meyer in my opinion lost his passion for the game after a few great seasons at Florida. He has nothing to prove (as a coach) and I believe he'll grow tired of all this negative publicity. He will only tarnish a very shakey reputation( as a win at all cost coach) further with this kind of mess. I really believe his tenure at THE OHIO STATE will be a short one.
    "My job as a football coach is to educate and prepare the kids who come into this program for the rest of their life..." Bo Pelini at the Penn State post game press conference Nov. 12 2011

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post
    With social media, particularly Twitter, the definition of 'booster' has become pretty blurry. I believe anyone who contacts a recruit through social media with a school-oriented message is labeled a booster. Certainly not the traditional sense, but a booster nonetheless.

This man is nothing more than a guy who contacts students online and parties in the same places. He has no contribution to the school whatsoever.

That's where that definition of booster is a problem. As far as the NCAA is concerned, yes -- this guy is a booster. But how do they monitor every single person who tweets an athlete? Mission impossible.
    As a sex offender, what this booster contributes is more than money....not sure that should be okay with the NCAA either.
    "According to a Gallup poll, President Obama's approval rating has dropped to 45 percent. Luckily for Obama, he has 'impeachment insurance.' It's called 'Joe Biden.'" –Jay Leno

OSU still has an insanely good class.....

Recruit
    Sounds to me like OSU already made a push for love.
    "I'm not allowed to argue with you until you've paid."

Like I said he is solid to Nebraska and is already talking about working with Bandaras and Lacouture on recruiting other kids...

I suspect they may try again....but I think he is solid...

Quote Originally Posted by One Man Jury View Post
    Sounds to me like OSU already made a push for love.

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post

The NCAA gets involve most of the time when someone turns the school or booster into them, isn't it? In this case, if it goes anywhere, wouldn't it be someone like the former recruit or the parent reporting to the NCAA that there was suspicious activity going on? In some cases it could be other witnesses like another coach, or disgruntled former employee,, etc. Didn't the NCAA look at Arkansas, briefly, because of those pictures online with those recruits wearing Arkansas jerseys with their names on them and locker mockups with their names on them?

At any rate, aren't the schools themselves supposed to monitor and self report any violations to the NCAA and that's why the "lack of institutional control and oversight" violation gets such stiff penalties?

Just wondering as I'm not totally sure about how some of these things go. I guess that's because NU has been pretty much void of these types of investigations through the many years of my fandom and attending school there.