Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Roundtable rips Martinez and NU

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post
    Michigan is the toughest game on the schedule, IMO.
    Actually, I think we'll bury Michigan. The blowout from last year had more to do with 5 special teams miscues than it did with Michigan. They had a charmed season last year and will lose 4-5 games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedOhio View Post
    Great point...some people base their entire opinion based on espn. There were several things said in that roundtable that were just flat out wrong (especially by Robert Smith and Desmond Howard). Jesse Palmer is the only guy on espn worth listening to when it comes to college football.
    I agree about Palmer. He's really grown as an analyst over the past couple of years. Robert Smith was fairly good a few years ago, but he got stuck in the ESPN sensationalism of anything and everything that goes on in CFB. Desmond Howard is just flat horrible. If his name was Derek Howard, he would be getting Fowler's coffee.

Husker Immortal
    Actually, I think we'll bury Michigan. The blowout from last year had more to do with 5 special teams miscues than it did with Michigan. They had a charmed season last year and will lose 4-5 games this year.
    I think it was 7 special teams miscues.....but maybe the number is growing over time.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do…
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Scout Team
    They actually insinuated the reason Bo riped T-Mart at the AM game was because of performance. They rip T-Mart pretty good and were laughing at him. I hope T-Mart and the whole team watch this and come out with their hair on fire this season.... GBR

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    I agree about Palmer. He's really grown as an analyst over the past couple of years. Robert Smith was fairly good a few years ago, but he got stuck in the ESPN sensationalism of anything and everything that goes on in CFB. Desmond Howard is just flat horrible. If his name was Derek Howard, he would be getting Fowler's coffee.
    Haha Derek Howard is classic! Howard is awful though...shocking how little he gets it sometimes. Jesse Palmer actually bases his opinions on facts and reality...Desmond Howard and Robert Smith seem to just pull things out of the air.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by HuttoHusker View Post
    They actually insinuated the reason Bo riped T-Mart at the AM game was because of performance. They rip T-Mart pretty good and were laughing at him. I hope T-Mart and the whole team watch this and come out with their hair on fire this season.... GBR
    I would hope that TM's own performance would be enough to make him want to improve, not some irrelevant talking heads on ESPN.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Travel Squad
    IMO, it's hard to disagree with the view that TM has to elevate his game, and the defense has to get better.

It's been a long time since Nebraska really and truly had a big time moment. Every time the Huskers looked as if they had it going, they fell on their face. So it's not unexpected that the national pundits don't hand us some love. Go back to when Devaney and Osborne walked the sidelines and they blew off the so called national pundits. To them it was all about doing it the old fashion way and earning the respect with deeds. Nebraska had a few of those big moments back then. Beating Alabama, LSU, Miami, Florida, Oklahoma, Tennessee and the rest when they were on top. It will happen again. It may even happen soon. Right now we seem to be inching closer but this isn't an easy league and the rules are about parity.

LSU, Alabama, USC, Texas, Florida have advantages in population and climate that gives them the edge. We have overcome that before with doing all the little things right, that cut down their advantage. Throwing the old system away because we wanted to be like them was a mistake. Little by little we are getting back to what made us relevant. Still maybe a year away from having those veteran teams with fifth year seniors all over the depth charts. It's been difficult piecing the old formula back, but it is happening as we type out our takes of the situation.

Nothing really worth while comes easy. We got spoiled and as often happens lost our way in our arrogance. This college game is cyclical. USC came back after being less than relevant. So did Alabama. Michigan stumbled. If you really work hard and not get distracted by the talking heads the cream does rise. No matter how hard you shake the bottle it keeps rising. With the passion the fans have it will keep rising. Too many unbelievers and maybe it doesn't rise quite as fast. Keep the faith and don't believe everything the outsiders have to say. For now they are mostly right and someday soon they will reluctantly find some love for us. It's about doing what works for little engine that could.

Blackshirt
    And, there's no way a Pelini coached team will make miscues like that year after year.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by HuttoHusker View Post
    Yeah. No way it could of been that, had to be the cell phone thinggy.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    Yeah. No way it could of been that, had to be the cell phone thinggy.
    Probably was both....like when people walk home and find their wife in bed with someone else AND no dinner is on the table. AKA, the perfect storm...

Red Shirt

I have to admit, I found it hard to argue with most of what they said. Overall, their outlook is more pessimistic than mine, but that is to be expected. Like it or not, the national media isn't going to jump on the bandwagon until we give them proof that we have turned the corner. I'm used to NU not getting the benefit of the doubt and it makes it all the more sweeter when we prove them wrong!

Red Shirt

Agree with G33, we need to give them a reason to believe in us, and we havent exactly given anyone a reason to believe in anything since the Okla St game ------ the burden falls on us

I think we have the team that can do this, but there is plenty of talent in the big 10, Mich, Mich St, Ohio St, Wisc, Penn St, Iowa, all have the talent to beat us, and they all have the ability to finish in the top 15. We will need to ball to bounce our way for a change, much like mich had last year. We need to make it happen, and get a few breaks. But we have the team that can do it. We need to take the next step, Which is either confr champs or 11 wins before a bowl game if we lose the ccg
    That gov't is best, which governs least -- Thomas Paine

Pretty fair. I don't like many, if any, ESPN personalities. They said "Martinez is ugly throwing the ball" many of us, myself included, say that on this board. The only thing that was bad was that they made it seem like Bo was blowing up on Martinez because of his performance. That was because he called daddy. Still Bo shouldn't blow up. I didn't think they ripped us. Pretty fair ESPN-like "analysis."

Quote Originally Posted by 1bigred View Post
    The ESPN heads had a lot of negatives to report about the Huskers upcoming 2012 season. And they seemed to have fun doing it. This would be a nice motivational video for the coaches and team to watch. It would be great to prove them wrong.
    Until we become relevant again, the talking heads can laugh.

http://www.huskermax.com/games/2012/vid/00/z14.html
    Not surprising. Take a look at the pedigree of the panel and it is painfully obvious why they are Nebraska haters.

Kirk Herbstreit - Ohio State
    Desmond Howard - Michigan
    Robert Smith - Ohio State
    Jesse Palmer - Florida (Who did NU destroy in the 1995 Fiesta Bowl?) Actually, Palmer was trying to be objective with his criticism.
    Mark Schlabach - Georgia (SEC columnist for ESPN who has a "Bottom 10" article weekly on the worst D-1A schools in football. Clearly, a hater.)

So, that's 3 out of 5 panelists who are from the B1G Ten.

Classic ESPN!!!!!!!