Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Roundtable rips Martinez and NU

Red Shirt
    Can't say we haven't heard a lot of what they were saying on this board, so why it matters that guys from ESPN say it, I'm not sure. If we're all going to be honest with ourselves, much of what they said is true. This is Martinez's first time getting the same system and we all know our offense will only go how far he can carry it or avoid holding it up. I don't need to see the 80 yard TD run like vs Wash 2 years ago or the 300+ yard passing game vs Okie State, I just want to see him cut down on the devastating mistakes. Throw the ball away or take the sack, but please avoid the bad decisions. If he does this, I could care less what his throwing motion looks like. Same goes for the offensive line - avoid the mistakes. Cut down on penalties and turnovers - we've all been saying this for the past few years so hopefully this will be the year.

Also anything they said re: the defense is true and we've probably all said it or thought it. We need more push from the front four. Will Compton will need to be the vocal leader of the defense. Our secondary will need a few guys to step up as well. And we did lose some big pieces on defense that will not be replaced immediately. And our schedule is tough, perhaps tougher than last year.

If it weren't for all these challenges, none of us would be interacting on this board though so onward to August and whatever may lie ahead!
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

"The last 11 days we focused on Nebraska," said Snyder, "and now I know more about them than I want to."

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedOhio View Post
    Actually, I think we'll bury Michigan. The blowout from last year had more to do with 5 special teams miscues than it did with Michigan. They had a charmed season last year and will lose 4-5 games this year.
    I had a different take. They were mashing us at the line of scrimmage. At halftime I thought "we're gonna get killed."

Quote Originally Posted by huskon4ever! View Post
    Can't say we haven't heard a lot of what they were saying on this board, so why it matters that guys from ESPN say it, I'm not sure. If we're all going to be honest with ourselves, much of what they said is true. This is Martinez's first time getting the same system and we all know our offense will only go how far he can carry it or avoid holding it up. I don't need to see the 80 yard TD run like vs Wash 2 years ago or the 300+ yard passing game vs Okie State, I just want to see him cut down on the devastating mistakes. Throw the ball away or take the sack, but please avoid the bad decisions. If he does this, I could care less what his throwing motion looks like. Same goes for the offensive line - avoid the mistakes. Cut down on penalties and turnovers - we've all been saying this for the past few years so hopefully this will be the year.

Also anything they said re: the defense is true and we've probably all said it or thought it. We need more push from the front four. Will Compton will need to be the vocal leader of the defense. Our secondary will need a few guys to step up as well. And we did lose some big pieces on defense that will not be replaced immediately. And our schedule is tough, perhaps tougher than last year.

If it weren't for all these challenges, none of us would be interacting on this board though so onward to August and whatever may lie ahead!
    I agree that hyper-analyzing our team can get exhausting. However, a few points must be brought to the table. Even with 3 NFL caliber players at each level, our D last year ranked 84th last year in sacks and 112th in tackles for loss. I doubt Tommie Frazier could hold a lead under those defensive efforts. Currently, Taylor has a lot of room for improvement but the Blackshirts need to step it up this year. I'm actually amazed there hasn't been more banter on how poorly the defensive line, linebacking core, and secondary played last year. For the exception of the Michigan St. game, the blackshirts really didn't stop any team all season long.

In summation, with all of the poor production defensively, we still went 9-4. Bo's doing a good job. He's won 9 or 10 games a season since he was hired.

My biggest beef, other than most of the "experts" on ESPN are nothing more than baffoons, is how unprofessional they are. Yeah, we know TM has his flaws, but they are supposed to be professional analysts/broadcasters. Act like it.

Varsity

There are things we need to work on, no doubt. That's true with most teams across the country.

Many of the things they brought up were legitimate areas that our team recognizes and are working on.

Looking at the panel, and picking up on a telling comment near the end of the show and it became apparent why they were laying it on so thick.

Over half of this panel of "experts" were former players from Big Ten teams that a year ago had to hear and participate in a constant barrage of Nebraska love, how Nebraska was going to come in and dominate the Big Ten. We didn't, this was their opportunity to "pile on".

Personally, we had much to overcome last year. With the coaching changes and new conference seeing many teams for the first time we needed a lot of things to go right. To be honest, I still feel the majority of our struggles last year had more to do with injuries to our interior linemen on both sides of the ball last year. Although Bo didn't play them up, and in many cases didn't report them at al, which I understand but increases the opportunity to criticize by those that are looking for a reasonl, you could see by the participation report and playing time that we were juggling around these issues all around.

Building depth is not a one year thing. It's something Bo and his staff have been working for steadily since taking over the disaster left after 2007 with many positions that had been undermanned. It looks like we've made serious headway in that area, and with a little luck and good health we may be able to make the Big Ten critics celebration over our first year conference struggles shortlived.

Keep the big guys healthy and mean and everybody else looks like they've improved in leaps and bounds as well.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    My biggest beef, other than most of the "experts" on ESPN are nothing more than baffoons, is how unprofessional they are. Yeah, we know TM has his flaws, but they are supposed to be professional analysts/broadcasters. Act like it.
    Hopefully, they'll give Tmart some good bulletin-board material. Many a great athlete uses "prove the doubters wrong" for motivation.
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoie View Post
    I had a different take. They were mashing us at the line of scrimmage. At halftime I thought "we're gonna get killed."
    I felt similarly. For the brave enough - watch this video of our offense trying to eek out yards against Michigan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnepI46utc4
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

All Legend
    Ahhh, the excuses continue. We're not the SEC, the analysts came from big ten schools, ESPN hates Nebraska...waaaaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaaahh.... Other the the Bo blowing up at ATM, what were they wrong about? The reality is that without significant improvement, we're a four loss team, if not more. They nailed it with what they said about T-Mart and the D-Line. They're saying the same thing the observant folks here are saying. But hey, it's easier to shoot the messenger. UCLA, Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan, Michigan St, Iowa...that's 6 games I wouldn't pencil in "W"s on , and we already proved that Northwestern can kick our but when we're not focused...and we always have a not focused game. We are two injuries away from praying for a .500 season.

GO BIG RED!!!

Almost none of those plays had a push by the o-line

I've got some more respect for Martinez and Burkhead finding seams after watching that. Almost every pass play a Michigan defender breaks loose and starts gunning for Martinez.

Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post
    I doubt Kain Colter. Yes, he had a banner game against Nebraska with 1 passing TD and 2 more on the ground.

However, he did not score another single point the rest of the regular season. It wasn't until their bowl game against the Aggies that he finally found the endzone again. That included games against Rice, Minnesota and Michigan State.

I realize he was also playing mop-up duty for Dan Persa, but his numbers were all over the map last year. If you look at the box scores, he was responsible for 50% or more of the total points in several games last year. We were also without Jared Crick by that time, and I'm willing to bet that Crick's presence would have helped to contain Colter better. If Pelini can dial up the pass rush in 2012, I see no reason why we can't steamroll Northwestern.

Remember Taylor Martinez? The guy who dominated Oklahoma State in a Stillwater Shootout? Or ran over KState? Yeah, that's the same guy who choked against Wisconsin and Oklahoma in the Big 12 CCG. Colter is much the same.
    Regarding Colter ... yes, he didn't play as much after the Nebraska game. But also realize, he was a very mobile, duel-threat QB, which Nebraska defenses have had plenty of problems stopping. Other defenses seem to be able to. Same thing with Denard Robinson. He feasted on the Huskers last season -- while I saw multiple other teams give him fits.

I think it would be silly to discount Colter -- and coming into this season, he is the man -- and will be getting more reps in practice and be much better prepared than last season. Not to say Northwestern will beat Nebraska, but it is to say that we'd be crazy to just assume it's a win.

I didn't think they said anything that was particularly inaccurate. My only frustration came from the fact that they spent 80% of the time talking about 1 guy and most of that was negative. Taylor had a lot of help (on the upside) during victories and unfortunately, lots of help (on the downside) in games like Michigan. There is a lot of work to be done before Neb achieves the rarified air of being in the hunt for national championships. But, this is team is positioned well for being a factor in the B1G championship - which would make for a very fun season for this fan.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    We have a lot to prove as we finished last year in disarray. No Spring Game to show changes in Martinez and others. Can't blame them for having that perspective as nothing has happened to alter it.
    I am not sure how high I would rank Nebraska in my pre-season poll but it probably wouldnt be higher than 20ish.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by huskon4ever! View Post
    Can't say we haven't heard a lot of what they were saying on this board, so why it matters that guys from ESPN say it, I'm not sure. If we're all going to be honest with ourselves, much of what they said is true.
    As usual Nebrask fan is overly sensitive when it comes to ESPN.

The fact is there are way more questions with NU football than answers heading into 2012. The defense wasn't that good last year and lost it's best players. Martinez has been mediocre at best and his throwing motion IS laughable.

there's no reason for anyone to give NU too much respect right now.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpMario View Post
    I am not sure how high I would rank Nebraska in my pre-season poll but it probably wouldnt be higher than 20ish.
    Yeah, I think we start between 18-22 and try to go up from there. We have plenty of chances to move up as we will play several ranked teams.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    As usual Nebrask fan is overly sensitive when it comes to ESPN.

The fact is there are way more questions with NU football than answers heading into 2012. The defense wasn't that good last year and lost it's best players. Martinez has been mediocre at best and his throwing motion IS laughable.

there's no reason for anyone to give NU too much respect right now.
    Pretty obvious if you are honest with yourself.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"