Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Nebraska going to be back?

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    OK, I can see what you're saying with the laughing, that probably was a little unprofessional. As far as their critique of him though I thought it was fair.
    No doubt about that.

Cake or Death?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ackos View Post
    Oddly im not worried about the offense, its the defense that bothers me most this coming season
    Both worry me. Need to see improvement on both sides of the ball, but if one can become fairly dominant I like our chances in any game.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dead Redemption View Post
    You guys know the rules: Pics, or it didn't happen.

Back up QB's have all the luck. Clipboard and a babe. Dang...if I'd have picked football rather than bowling, things would have been different.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Ackos View Post
    Oddly im not worried about the offense, its the defense that bothers me most this coming season
    I think the defense will be very good. Bo Pelini knows defense and he will fix most the issues from last year. The offense is what I am concerned about. I question if Taylor is the guy to take us to the next level. Our offensive line is also a big concern to me. We hear year after year our depth is improved and we still seem to underachieve. Yes our o-line played very well at times but it hasn't demonstrated any degree of consistency in their play. I also worry that we haven't developed anyone behind Martinez at qb and Rex at tailback. An injury to either can be devastating. Our recievers drop way too many balls which doesn't help us either. I still don't see an offensive identity yet. You can kinda see what we are trying to evolve to but we haven't arrived there yet. Tim Beck is still cutting his teeth calling the offense and hopefully he will get more comfortable in that role.
    It is what it is!!!

Regarding the question is Nebraska back....I don't think this will be the year. Why will the defense be any better? First year coordinator. I'm guessing when the defense underperforms I will hear the "it's his first year..." excuse like I heard with Tim Beck in his previous season. We had zero pass rush in the south carolina game and we lose our two best players (dennard and david). I think the offense will be ok but I'm anxious about it. I think Martinez's throwing motion will be improved...but we really don't have playmakers in the passing game. Bell is good. Quincy is good. But they aren't Jeremy Maclin and Justin Blackmon and we will need WRs like that to be back. Our O line is replacing some guys which makes me wonder if the running game will suffer.

I'll predict 9-4 this year. Seems like a safe bet since Pelini is still the coach. I'll guess losses to Michigan, Ohio St, and Michigan St. Maybe one more in the reg season.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedOhio View Post
    The embarrassing losses to Wisconsin and Michigan have everyone thinking we had problems adjusting to the Big 10. That was not the case at all imo... This team would have had some bad losses in any conference last year. The coaching was not great last year and the experience level was low with the players.

Huskers finish 12-1 this year...IF the coaching improves and we avoid major injury issues.
    So this years O-Line, QB, D-Line, Linebackers, and Secondary are of NC caliber and it's the coaching staff holding them back?

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by rawkfanseth View Post
    Regarding the question is Nebraska back....I don't think this will be the year. Why will the defense be any better? First year coordinator. I'm guessing when the defense underperforms I will hear the "it's his first year..." excuse like I heard with Tim Beck in his previous season. We had zero pass rush in the south carolina game and we lose our two best players (dennard and david). I think the offense will be ok but I'm anxious about it. I think Martinez's throwing motion will be improved...but we really don't have playmakers in the passing game. Bell is good. Quincy is good. But they aren't Jeremy Maclin and Justin Blackmon and we will need WRs like that to be back. Our O line is replacing some guys which makes me wonder if the running game will suffer.

I'll predict 9-4 this year. Seems like a safe bet since Pelini is still the coach. I'll guess losses to Michigan, Ohio St, and Michigan St. Maybe one more in the reg season.
    Losses to those 3 teams wouldn't surprise me but I would be disappointed nonetheless. I would like to see no blowout losses (like Wisky and Mich last year), and no letdown losses (like NW last year), and no fall apart losses (like So Car last year).
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler:931847
    Quote Originally Posted by Will.I.Am Husker View Post
    I agree his running game dropped off quite a bit. This will be the year to take the training wheels off. There is no more excuses for him. But i will say the espn gameday crew went to far with the criticism. It might have been true but it was very unprofessional.
    I agree with you, time to let him go and sink or swim, if he can't improve this year then......

Just wondering in regards to ESPN, would you feel the same if they said the same things about, say, a Chase Coffman? Or if TM played for say USC? I am not saying you would, but just curious, as I think a lot of Husker fans are hyper-sensitive with ESPN.
    I really dont mind espn at all. I just felt making a joke out of him went to far. I will admit i have a soft spot for ol Nebraska but I feel in this case I would have thought it was out of line no matter who it was....im honestly not an espn hater at all...

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    Just wait for Tommy Armstrong to come in and lead us to the Promised Land.....
    Well, if he starts spelling it Tommie, I'd have more confidence.

Losses to those 3 teams wouldn't surprise me but I would be disappointed nonetheless. I would like to see no blowout losses (like Wisky and Mich last year), and no letdown losses (like NW last year), and no fall apart losses (like So Car last year).
    I feel the same way

All Legend
    Do you have room for regular old losses? Seem like we have a new "excuse based" vocabulary for describing everything that happens on a football field in the Pelini era.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    Do you have room for regular old losses? Seem like we have a new "excuse based" vocabulary for describing everything that happens on a football field in the Pelini era.
    +1

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    Actually, if a regular old loss is one in which we play well and the other team just beats us, I can handle that. I hate it when we lose in a mistake filled performance in which it appears the team is performing a colonoscopy with their cranium.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Starter
    Just wait for Tommy Armstrong to come in and lead us to the Promised Land.....
    I don't want to wait. I would like for Martinez/Carnes to start unpacking boxes there this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Fear of spiders is aracnaphobia, fear of tight spaces is chlaustraphobia, fear of Ameer is Wisdom

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    Both worry me. Need to see improvement on both sides of the ball, but if one can become fairly dominant I like our chances in any game.
    I would like to see a step forward on both sides of the ball but I don't think that talent or scheme was a problem for our defense last season. I think it had more to do with the concept/technique that was being taught to our secondary. We had a dominant defense in 2010 and we didn't depend on much pass run and blitz's to make that happen. It was the physicality and technique that was being taught to our secondary that created an identity for our defense. The new (ex) position coach took that away from our secondary last season, quoting "we needed to start from scratch" nonsense as if what we were doing the previous season wasn't working. Sanders made it happen. I'm hoping that Coach Joseph can do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Fear of spiders is aracnaphobia, fear of tight spaces is chlaustraphobia, fear of Ameer is Wisdom