Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: College Football Landscape

  1. #1
    Guest
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale, WY
    Posts
    255

    College Football Landscape

    I was having a discussion with some friends the other day (slow off season) about college football and I asked the question: If Nebrasja had retained its dominance it had after the '97 season all the way through these last couple years, been the powerhouse in the Big 12 and in college football, do you think that Texas would have been able to nearly destroy a conference, do you think Nebraska joins the B1G, does Missouri join the SEC, does the SEC become so dominant, what does college football look like today? I would love to hear (read) some of my fellow HUSKER fans opinions. I will post my thoughts later in the thread.

    GO BIG RED!!!

  2. #2
    Guest
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Land O' Fruits N' Nuts
    Posts
    309
    Absolutely not. Had Graham Spanier and Bill Byrne not opened the door for Steve Pederson -instead of letting Al Papik serve as A.D.- T.O. would have eventually moved to that position and Nebraska Football would have remained more relevant. IMO

  3. #3
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,796
    While I would like to agree the Husker football is the center of the football world, and the Husker dominance or lack there of had any effect on conference re-alignment........

    I'd have to say... NO.

    The only thing Husker football had any impact on, is the fact they became relevant enough to be a major player in the BIGTEN expansion.

  4. #4
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,796
    Conference re-alignment is really only about 2 ( maybe 3) things:

    1) Money
    2) TV sets/network contracts

    and maybe ... 3) Conference leadership

  5. #5
    Husker Immortal
    CombatTargeteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    100,978

  6. #6
    Husker Immortal
    ThotDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland
    Posts
    66,852
    Quote Originally Posted by HUSKERINWYO View Post
    I was having a discussion with some friends the other day (slow off season) about college football and I asked the question: If Nebrasja had retained its dominance it had after the '97 season all the way through these last couple years, been the powerhouse in the Big 12 and in college football, do you think that Texas would have been able to nearly destroy a conference, do you think Nebraska joins the B1G, does Missouri join the SEC, does the SEC become so dominant, what does college football look like today? I would love to hear (read) some of my fellow HUSKER fans opinions. I will post my thoughts later in the thread.
    Nope....wouldn't have happened.
    "According to a Gallup poll, President Obama's approval rating has dropped to 45 percent. Luckily for Obama, he has 'impeachment insurance.' It's called 'Joe Biden.'" –Jay Leno


  7. #7
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    9,185
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    Nope....wouldn't have happened.
    (in part)

    Colorado, who started all the conference jumping, still would have left for the Pac 10, who wanted to become the Pac 12. CU administration has wanted to go since the prior AD, who turned down the Pac 10 when the Big 12 was formed, was replaced by the current AD. Cu was just waiting for the opportunity, and Larry Scott and the Pac 10 was ready to expand as part of the huge TV contract that was laying out there for them. Utah still would have followed to Pac 12. That would have still precipitated some of the western schools' moves. Syracuse's and Pitt's jumping to the ACC was unrelated to CU/Utah to Pac 12 and NU to Big Ten.

    What may not have happened would be Nebraska's move to the Big Ten. I'm not sure Nebraska would want to rock the boat in any way if they were still winning football titles. The Big 12 could have replaced CU with TCU or WVA only. Mizzou and aTm may not have felt the need to jump ship out of the Big 12. Or maybe they would have.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

    -- Samuel L. Jackson

  8. #8
    Husker Immortal
    ThotDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland
    Posts
    66,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    (in part)

    Colorado, who started all the conference jumping, still would have left for the Pac 10, who wanted to become the Pac 12. CU administration has wanted to go since the prior AD, who turned down the Pac 10 when the Big 12 was formed, was replaced by the current AD. Cu was just waiting for the opportunity, and Larry Scott and the Pac 10 was ready to expand as part of the huge TV contract that was laying out there for them. Utah still would have followed to Pac 12. That would have still precipitated some of the western schools' moves. Syracuse's and Pitt's jumping to the ACC was unrelated to CU/Utah to Pac 12 and NU to Big Ten.

    What may not have happened would be Nebraska's move to the Big Ten. I'm not sure Nebraska would want to rock the boat in any way if they were still winning football titles. The Big 12 could have replaced CU with TCU or WVA only. Mizzou and aTm may not have felt the need to jump ship out of the Big 12. Or maybe they would have.
    You're probably right about the Colorado part......I always seem to forget about them.
    "According to a Gallup poll, President Obama's approval rating has dropped to 45 percent. Luckily for Obama, he has 'impeachment insurance.' It's called 'Joe Biden.'" –Jay Leno


  9. #9
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    9,185
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    I always seem to forget about them.
    Good. It is always better to slide under the radar. And you definitely do NOT want to move to Colorado. It is a terrible place to live. Tell your friends.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

    -- Samuel L. Jackson

  10. #10
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    valencia, ca
    Posts
    1,376
    nebr had only one way to go after 97, they sure werent going to get better. new coach in solich, who was serviceable but missed on some key recruits, new ad had an "all about me attitude", new coach callahan couldnt see or embrace the true meaning of the corn. Im not gonna open up the "if solich were still here, we'd be..... " thats pointless.

    For sure were in a better place, so is colorado, but we probably wouldnt have left had we been big 12 champs 4 times since our last one in 99, and texas not developed such an attitude. Its too bad it had to happen, but it was a bad marriage since the mid 90s, at the outset, it was probably destined to fail
    That gov't is best, which governs least -- Thomas Paine

  11. #11
    Scout Team
    HuttoHusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hutto Texas
    Posts
    3,464
    If we were dominate from 1995 untill now, all the teams in the Big 12 would have been looking to jump ship.

  12. #12
    Guest

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Viking Lake, Iowa
    Posts
    957
    Osborne warned of this happening right from the beginnings of the Big 12. The game was changing so quickly that is was impossible to predict the direction it would take. The NCAA was changing from a policing entity to a deal making bean counter. Big schools with money was a target for the networks. The networks were pulling the rug out from under the entire process. All deals had to be sanctioned by the networks. As arrogant as the Nebraska program was after 97, it was nothing compared to Texas arrogance. Nebraska didn't have the population and thus the television sets to make a dent in the process. Nebraska had its niche as the overachiever but didn't have the nutz to make major changes when money led the way.

    It won't be long before a four team tournament becomes eight teams. It won't be long before players are paid for their services. Someone gunna come along and sue the entire process in the courts as Curt Flood did in baseball. Then free agency in pro football. There will be compromise for a while and the money will increase for all concerned. That love of money will trump and goodness left in the process. Nebraska never had the chops to make a difference in the long run with this steamroller. It's all about the deal as Trump would say. You either find a seat when the music stops or you stand alone.

  13. #13
    Starter
    wcbsas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,077
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDent#2 View Post
    Absolutely not. Had Graham Spanier and Bill Byrne not opened the door for Steve Pederson -instead of letting Al Papik serve as A.D.- T.O. would have eventually moved to that position and Nebraska Football would have remained more relevant. IMO
    I disagree with you on this ... Bill Byrne turned out to be a pretty good AD as had TO. I'm not sure Al Papik would have been any better. TO is a good AD now in part because of his post-football experience, plus he is/was so much further away from his head coaching position when he did become AD.

    I do fault Bill Byrne or the whole TO/FS transition. Maybe BB felt like he had no choice but that whole handoff/transition was poorly executed. BB can also be faulted for not having a clear succession plan in place for himself when he bailed to aTm.
    The life you lead is the life you teach!

  14. #14
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    (in part)

    Colorado, who started all the conference jumping, still would have left for the Pac 10, who wanted to become the Pac 12. CU administration has wanted to go since the prior AD, who turned down the Pac 10 when the Big 12 was formed, was replaced by the current AD. Cu was just waiting for the opportunity, and Larry Scott and the Pac 10 was ready to expand as part of the huge TV contract that was laying out there for them. Utah still would have followed to Pac 12. That would have still precipitated some of the western schools' moves. Syracuse's and Pitt's jumping to the ACC was unrelated to CU/Utah to Pac 12 and NU to Big Ten.

    What may not have happened would be Nebraska's move to the Big Ten. I'm not sure Nebraska would want to rock the boat in any way if they were still winning football titles. The Big 12 could have replaced CU with TCU or WVA only. Mizzou and aTm may not have felt the need to jump ship out of the Big 12. Or maybe they would have.


    While I agree that CU would have jumped at the chance, do you really think the PAC 10 would have jumped for CU without the lure of UT, OU, OSU, A&M, and the 6th unknown? Let's face it, CU was absolutely lucky to be locked in with the 6 schools looking to join the PAC 16, and made a brilliant move to pull the trigger early. If the PAC 10 knew that CU would be the only Big 12 school, do you really think they'd have pulled the trigger? Just because CU has fantasized about the PAC 10 for years doesn't mean that the PAC 10 was thrilled to only get CU and Utah.

  15. #15
    All Legend
    utsker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,611
    Had Nebraska stayed dominant, we wouldn't have been running away from Texas. No need to runaway, as without the championships and wins over the Huskers, they wouldn't have as much pull. Our implosion allowed Texas to gain it's power

  16. #16
    Starter
    Greatest Fan of All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    13,774
    Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    Had Nebraska stayed dominant, we wouldn't have been running away from Texas. No need to runaway, as without the championships and wins over the Huskers, they wouldn't have as much pull. Our implosion allowed Texas to gain it's power
    You are correct, Sir.

  17. #17
    Group B
    redarmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    11,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Good. It is always better to slide under the radar. And you definitely do NOT want to move to Colorado. It is a terrible place to live. Tell your friends.
    yeah they have these large hills that run through the state, what an eye sore.

    colorado would have jumped ship regardless. I agree.

    Going back to the story of NU. NU was irritated with big 12 but it was the CU & UM rumors that brought the little bird to whisper in Pearlman's ear. Once the offer was on the table, NU was doneski.

    A&M never leaves the big 12 if NU doesnt. UM seemed to want to leave for the BIG.

    I don't think NU winning or losing was an issue here. The issue was CU and UM looking to leave. Rumors had Texas looking elsewhere. NU leaving was about 1) protecting its future and that equates to money.
    That's not what he said you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English! - Johnny Ringo.

  18. #18
    All American
    Husker Country Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    26,055
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmy View Post
    yeah they have these large hills that run through the state, what an eye sore. Agree! How are you supposed to grow corn there? And I can't see anything for those darn hills in the way.

    colorado would have jumped ship regardless. I agree. Agree.

    Going back to the story of NU. NU was irritated with big 12 but it was the CU & UM rumors that brought the little bird to whisper in Pearlman's ear. Once the offer was on the table, NU was doneski.

    A&M never leaves the big 12 if NU doesnt. UM seemed to want to leave for the BIG. Agree.

    I don't think NU winning or losing was an issue here. The issue was CU and UM looking to leave. Rumors had Texas looking elsewhere. NU leaving was about 1) protecting its future and that equates to money.
    the Big 8 schools took in the four orphaned SWC schools. At that point, they agreed to join the conference, under the Big 8 rules. Within 6 months, UT was starting to push for changes (Prop 48, headquarters, CCG). UT got their way on all these issues.

    IMO, the biggest contributing factor to NU's leaving the conference was poor leadership from the commissioners. There was never a sense of unity in the Big 12.
    [television commercial] Hi, I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't cheer for Big Red, then f-*bleep* you.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •