Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: cloaking your online activity

cloaking your online activity

It’s probably impossible to cloak your online activities fully, but there are steps you can take to make them harder to follow. http://nyti.ms/JUSNIq

Sent from iPhone

Head Lackey
    It appears that HWJ may have posted something, but I am having a hard time discerning it...
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

cloaking your online activity

IT WORKS!

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    It’s probably impossible to cloak your online activities fully, but there are steps you can take to make them harder to follow. http://nyti.ms/JUSNIq

Sent from iPhone
    Uh, HWJ?? To anyone with any modicum of technical smarts, this is VERY old news...

Enjoy the Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    Uh, HWJ?? To anyone with any modicum of technical smarts, this is VERY old news...
    What a d... I may not be much on computer tech, but I have no doubt there are a few things I could teach you.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by 4qtrhsker View Post
    What a d... I may not be much on computer tech, but I have no doubt there are a few things I could teach you.
    Quite likely - I think there are things that most any of us can teach most anyone else - everyone has their own strong points. Still, this is something that's been done - and been written about and described to make it easy - for years. Just the facts.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by 4qtrhsker View Post
    You shoulda left out your first three words.

Between this and my Omaha Steaks beatdown, I'm starting to think we've got us a negative nelly on our hands

Thanks HWJ, there's some interesting stuff in there.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Between this and my Omaha Steaks beatdown, I'm starting to think we've got us a negative nelly on our hands
    Oh yeah, that deal on half of the 11 lb cow! Haha! If teasing you about that makes me negative, whatever!

That reminds me...my Omaha Steaks order arrived Wednesday...can't wait to start eating!!!

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

All Legend
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    You shoulda left out your first three words.
    those hours spent watching kitten videos
    Did they interview you for this story?

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Or you can forgo trusting others with your e-mail correspondence altogether and set up your own mail server. It is an option that is not just for the paranoid, according to Sam Harrelson, a middle-school teacher and self-described technology aficionado in Ashville, N.C., who switched to using his own mail server this year using a $49.99 OS X Server and $30 SpamSieve software to eliminate junk mail.
    I've run mail servers in the past. They're too much of a pain in the rear end. Not just in maintenance, but from remote providers blocking entire swathes of IP addresses just to fight incoming spam/virus traffic. It's difficult enough as an entity with 10,000 users to get Microsoft or Yahoo to ease up on the filtering, let alone one person at home. Not something I'd do myself.

Plus, as the article notes, you're not really gaining any privacy by running your own mail server when everyone you e-mail is off-network anyway.

The other suggestions for using TOR or a VPN are worthwhile though.

Thank-you for your opinion about the timelessness of an article publish the day before I posted it here. The next time they ask ME what to publish, I will defer to you and advise the New York Times that you are one to ask re: timely topics in technology.

Further, I would suggest that you share to thoughts with CNN, the WSJ, Smart Money, Bloomberg, Wired, Forbes and USA Today--all of who have written about just ONE of the suggested tools in this article THIS YEAR.

As a HuskerMax user, you most likely know that HuskerMax send information to quantserve.com.

"Quantcast (www.quantcast.com) provides services to online marketers and media companies that helps them better understand general web audience characteristics and deliver advertising to groups of people based on broad demographic, geographic or interest-based insights. The company's innovative direct-measurement approach generates publicly available traffic and audience profiles for millions of Web destinations. Quantcast also provides solutions that help manage the delivery of advertising in real-time so that advertisers can reach relevant audiences with a projected set of characteristics across the Web. Participants in the Quantcast measurement and/or ad delivery service are required to include appropriate notification in their privacy policies.

Sitting just quietly under the cork tree, smelling the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    I've run mail servers in the past. They're too much of a pain in the rear end. Not just in maintenance, but from remote providers blocking entire swathes of IP addresses just to fight incoming spam/virus traffic. It's difficult enough as an entity with 10,000 users to get Microsoft or Yahoo to ease up on the filtering, let alone one person at home. Not something I'd do myself.

Plus, as the article notes, you're not really gaining any privacy by running your own mail server when everyone you e-mail is off-network anyway.

The other suggestions for using TOR or a VPN are worthwhile though.
    Yep.

And $30 spam prevention software on a server is very likely not going to be as good as a multi-million dollar spam package from companies who only do that. I have a couple of domains with 1and1.com and very rarely get any spam whatsoever. Looking in my spam folder in webmail (on the server, not Thunderbird) it is shocking the amount of junk in that folder. All zapped by the server. But as you said, that isn't really relevant to the privacy question.

TOR may not be the safest thing to use at work. I have heard it can look like a network attack (possibly outbound) to the security guys due to the way it works. Not that I have found that out the hard way...