Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harvey Pearlman still favors "plus one"

Cake or Death?

Harvey Pearlman still favors "plus one"

I think Harvey has been great for the university as a whole but I just can't get on board with him on this one. Article located here.

The plus-one is still very much alive, University of Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman told ESPN.com on Thursday. Perlman, who serves on the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee, said that during informal discussions between Big Ten and Pac-12 presidents and chancellors, the plus-one model has the most support.

"It is clear the presidents will still make the final decision," Perlman told ESPN.com "We've had some informal meetings, the Big Ten presidents and the Pac-12 presidents, and I think we're largely aligned in thinking a plus-one with a different ranking after the bowl games to select No. 1 and 2 would be acceptable. Our second choice would probably be a four-team playoff inside the bowls. Our highest priority is to preserve the status of the Rose Bowl and our connection to it."

He later added: "I don't think we would be very enthusiastic about any of the other options."

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard

Husker Fan

Perlman is a puppet when it comes to anything related to the BcS.

Junior Varsity
    I like the plus one. If done properly, it's a bit like a hybrid playoff/conference tie-in bowl system. Play the Orange, Fiesta, Rose, and Sugar on New Year's Day. Take the top 2 teams after the dust settles and have the championship game a week later. It's the best way to maximize the number of games that have championship implications. If the chips fall right, almost every team involved in one of the "BCS" New Year's Day bowls has a shot at cracking the Top 2.
    ~Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.~
    J. Lebowski

Junior Varsity
    But his former law students claim he is a boy-genius.

Not so much in 2003 and not so much with these latest pontifications. He seems really out-of-touch when it comes to college football.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Red Lebowski View Post
    I like the plus one. If done properly, it's a bit like a hybrid playoff/conference tie-in bowl system. Play the Orange, Fiesta, Rose, and Sugar on New Year's Day. Take the top 2 teams after the dust settles and have the championship game a week later. It's the best way to maximize the number of games that have championship implications. If the chips fall right, almost every team involved in one of the "BCS" New Year's Eve Day bowls has a shot at cracking the Top 2.
    Why is HP the only one still talking +1?

Yesterday, JD was talking 4TP.

Blackshirt
    He has missed the train to the post season playoffs.

Harvey P. needs to go play a few hundred rounds of golf in retirement. Catch some sun, get a tan and some exercise while he is at it.
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlimit View Post
    Why is HP the only one still talking +1?

Yesterday, JD was talking 4TP.
    As far as I know, he's one of the only President/Chancellor talking period. According to the article, they reached out to more than half the Big Ten's presidents and chancellors for interviews and were repeatedly turned down. The Presidents make the final decision and unless HP is telling tales out of school, the plus one has support. I personally like it better than a seeded 4-teamer for a very simple reason - it gives more teams a shot at the title heading into bowl season.
    J. Lebowski

Junior Varsity
    I just don't get the hate for Harvey. He's a powerful and respected player in college athletics at the national level. How is that bad for NU? Would people prefer to have a Chancellor who was persona non grata outside of Lincoln?
    J. Lebowski

Junior Varsity
    As far as I know, he's one of the only President/Chancellor talking period. According to the article, they reached out to more than half the Big Ten's presidents and chancellors for interviews and were repeatedly turned down. The Presidents make the final decision and unless HP is telling tales out of school, the plus one has support. I personally like it better than a seeded 4-teamer for a very simple reason - it gives more teams a shot at the title heading into bowl season.
    Really depends on how they pick the 4 or the two for the +1. Committee or current polls.

Perhaps HP should have kept his card close to his vest, but he has a history of liking the spotlight just a little too much for a chancellor.

Junior Varsity
    I just don't get the hate for Harvey. He's a powerful and respected player in college athletics at the national level. How is that bad for NU? Would people prefer to have a Chancellor who was persona non grata outside of Lincoln?
    Pretty sure what he said today is a little out of step with what JD said yesterday.

Regardless, HP made his bed with many alums with his actions in '03-'04 and has never done anything to repair those strains. He is just lucky that the UNL to the B1G fell in his lap and gave him something positive for the resume.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedlimit View Post
    Pretty sure what he said today is a little out of step with what JD said yesterday.

Regardless, HP made his bed with many alums with his actions in '03-'04 and has never done anything to repair those strains. He is just lucky that the UNL to the B1G fell in his lap and gave him something positive for the resume.
    Why does he need to be "in step" with Delaney? I'd much rather he think for himself. Your thinking has the same contradictions as all the Harvey haters. In short, HP gets all the blame for the SP fiasco and no credit for the Big Ten move. He's a walking oxy-moron - the idiot genius. Harvey hate for some of you fellas is simply dogma.
    J. Lebowski

Junior Varsity
    Why does he need to be "in step" with Delaney? I'd much rather he think for himself. Your thinking has the same contradictions as all the Harvey haters. In short, HP gets all the blame for the SP fiasco and no credit for the Big Ten move. He's a walking oxy-moron - the idiot genius. Harvey hate for some of you fellas is simply dogma.
    It's his football comments that got him in trouble with some alumi....Like talking about how player's in the program looked tired or just a short time later(under a new HC) how great they looked.

He had to do and say those things, because he was going to bat for SP and backing the things that went down. Somehow he kept his job, even though he was front and center during the '03 debacle, and 100% behind everything.

Additional, the current comments he uses the term "we". I presume he is talking for the BCS Presidential Committee, but if one just glanced at the article or read the headlines they might think he was speaking for UNL or the B1G. The quote itself makes it sound like he is talking for other PAC 12 and B1G presidents. Who knows?

Is he speaking for UNL? I am not certain his stance is shared by the regents?

I think it is only a matter of time that the national media picks apart his comments today, like was done on USC. When and if this happens, I for one will be extremely interested to see who the "we" Harvey was referring to is.

Just because I criticize him, does not mean I hate the guy. I think he probably has some exception legal skills, like analysis, research, administration, etc. However, he does come across as out of touch in these latest statements, like this:
    "I don't think that's acceptable to us at this point," Perlman said of the campus-sites plan. "There would be some advantages to the Big Ten in doing it that way, but the end result would be that the bowl system and the Rose Bowl would be kind of like the NIT in basketball. If you have a playoff system outside the bowls, it would do serious damage to the bowls. ... I don't think anybody would pay attention to the bowls."
    The REALITY is that if Nebraska was lucky enough to make the Top 4, they would have won the B1G CCG. That means that fans would be going to that game somewhere. Then, if we go with HP's logic, they would have to go to a bowl game in FL, TX, AZ or CA. No big deal if that is the end of the season. But if you win, you have another neutral site that fans will have to travel to. That is three big travel trips in a month. Way too much for even the average lunatic Nebraska fan. Perhaps that is why he is stuck on plus one, yet, you have the same amount of games. The semi-final games almost have to be on the campus of the #1 and #2 seeded teams. With two games and four major bowls, it would be a nightmare to iron out who gets what and when.

The bowls are going to have to go back to conference tie-ins and will still get great match-ups. There will still be six teams in the Top 10 available and some of those will be conference champions. How the heck is that going to be like the NIT? And BTW, it would be nice if our Chancellor could learn to phrase his words so as not to offend the only post-season basketball tourneyment that our team has a shot being invited to?

But I digress

Cake or Death?
    Speedlimit and BRL, I agree with both of you on certain points. I too don't get the Harvey hate BRL, he has been by all accounts great for the academic side of the U, which IMO is his primary responsibility. I don't think screw-ups in the athelic department, and there have been some, are enough to oust him.

But I agree with Speedlimit, the comments regarding the BCS are just out of touch to me. That's JMO, but the NIT comparison is just dumb. Under Harvey's logic, the only game that matters now is the BCS NC game, rendering all the other bowls to "NIT" status. Why would it be any different if there is a 4 team playoff? If you're saying teams 3-65 or whatever can get excited for bowl games if they aren't in the NC game but teams 5-65 or whatever can't get excited for their bowls if they don't make a 4 team playoff then, I'm sorry, your logic is just way off.

Unfortunately, it just seems that HP is tied to the hip with the bowls, which I honestly don't get because I think he is a smart business guy, and business-wise the schools involved stand to make a lot more money by keeping the postseason in house.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard

Red Shirt

I don't like a plus one unless the two participating bowl games (4 teams) are established before the bowl games. If not, all a plus one accomplishes is to extend things by one week...especially if you leave it to a poll to decide the plus one.

Blackshirt
    "Our highest priority is to preserve the status of the Rose Bowl and our connection to it."
    Disheartening.