Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prostitutes: Criminals or Victims?

Prostitutes: Criminals or Victims?

"In a stark departure from decades of such prosecutions, the women who were working as prostitutes are not facing criminal charges but are instead being treated as their pimps’ victims, and offered services to help them build new lives."

http://nyti.ms/In8reJ

Or google:
    Prosecutors Focus on Pimps and Clients, Instead of Prostitutes

Heisman

I admit I always look at the threads you start - especially when you post a link but refuse to comment on it at all - and wonder about your motive & agenda - but here goes:

• Its certainly entirely appropriate to consider the prostitutes as victims of their pimps, particularly in this case where according to the article "the men accused as ringleaders were a father and his son, a pimp team coercing women to push their trade like traveling sex saleswomen" and "The women were branded, tattooed with the pimps’ monikers, Mr. Vee for the father and King Koby for the son, Manhattan prosecutors said. One woman was even tattooed with a bar code."
    • It may be a "stark departure" in NYC, but from reading the news here in Dallas for many years, its been pretty much standard procedure here. The prostitutes are picked up, but then are very often released and charges dropped in exchange for their testimony helping to convict their pimps. Its only common sense to focus the enforcement and prosecution on the pimps, in cases of "organized prostitution" such as that.

Husker Fan

or just capitalists or entrepreneurs.

it is the oldest business venture in history, after all.

I can't read the article because I don't subscribe but I'd say there are some of both.

The most pitiable prostitute is one who works the streets to support addiction.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post

The most pitiable prostitute is one who works the streets to support addiction.
    is that even a word?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    is that even a word?
    Look it up.

While what the prostitutes are doing is against the law, they are far more victims than they are criminals, and it's good to see justice systems recognizing that and acting in the long term interests of both the prostitutes and society as a whole.

Rehabilitation, training, and a hand up makes far more sense than punitive measures for most of these women, and in the long run I think ends up doing more to eradicate the root problems.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

We just had a pimp sentenced to 50 years in prison for sex trafficking here in Chicago. It was a remarkable trial because the victims -- the prostitutes -- often don't cooperate with prosecutors because they are so afraid of the pimps. In this case, they did cooperate. I love the approach of focusing the prosecutions primarily on the pimps, who often force underage girls into prostitution.

The dramatic three-hour sentencing culminated with a stunning punishment — 50 years in federal prison, believed to be the toughest ever handed down to a convicted sex trafficker in Chicago's federal court.
    "No culture ... worth emulation would tolerate this," U.S. District Judge Charles Kocoras said. "We don't let you do this to our children."
    Sawyer's friends and family let out several loud gasps as the sentence was announced. With the hearing over, they streamed into the hallway and hurled angry words at several of Sawyer's victims who had testified against him.
    Sawyer, 32, is among only a handful of pimps who have been convicted in federal court here of sex trafficking. Such cases are difficult to prosecute because the victims are often terrorized by their pimps and reluctant to cooperate with authorities. In this case, six women testified against Sawyer at trial.
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-federal-court

Read the whole article ... it will make your blood boil.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

is that even a word?
    Yup, it is a pretty good word too.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

I think this concept is degrading to adult women, considering they are in the life by choice. Sure, young prostitutes could be considered victims, but the adult women who do this are doing this by choice. This was demonstrated in the fictional series "Southland" this past season. I think the victim/criminal barrier may be tied to the teen/adult barrier in this case. Just my two cents.

is that even a word?

"For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked."
    --Revelation 3:17 (ESV)

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    "For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked."
    YEAH! Excellent citation, although I suspect Dan Savage would take umbrage with it.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    okay okay point made.

just never saw that form used before. learn something new every day i guess.

okay okay point made.

just never saw that form used before. learn something new every day i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    I think this concept is degrading to adult women, considering they are in the life by choice. Sure, young prostitutes could be considered victims, but the adult women who do this are doing this by choice. This was demonstrated in the fictional series "Southland" this past season. I think the victim/criminal barrier may be tied to the teen/adult barrier in this case. Just my two cents.
    Yeah, but with adjustment for those adult women living in fear of pimp who's essentially a slave master. Sounds like the guy in Chicago fit that bill. Of course, there are plenty of women who take up the profession, and remain in it, willingly. I wouldn't let them off the hook, but understand why cops will since they can provide a direct link to the real troublemakers and dangers to society, the guys who'd be more than happy to take on a 15 year old whore -- the pimps.