Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Chinese activist wants to go to U.S.

Chinese activist wants to go to U.S.

The Chinese activist who walked out of the U.S. Embassy in Beijing on Wednesday after what officials said was a decision he had made on his own said Thursday that he regrets the move and now wants U.S. officials to help get him and his family to the United States.
    Chen said he did not fully grasp what he was facing when he agreed to abandon the embassy.
    Chen's impact on U.S.-China ties

"At the time, I didn't have a lot of information," he said. "I wasn't allowed to call my friends from inside the embassy. I couldn't keep up with news, so I didn't know a lot of things that were happening."
    Part 2: Case of the 'Barefoot Lawyer'

He said Thursday that he felt that his life and that of his wife, Yuan Weijing, would be in danger if he were to remain in the country.

"Anything could happen," he said.

Chen said he left the embassy only after U.S. officials encouraged him to do so.

"The embassy kept lobbying me to leave and promised to have people stay with me at the hospital," he said. "But this afternoon, as soon as I checked into the hospital room, I noticed they were all gone."

He said he was "very disappointed" in the U.S. government and felt "a little" that he had been lied to by the embassy.
    CNN

I am pleased that we were able to facilitate Chen Guangcheng’s stay and departure from the U.S. Embassy in a way that reflected his choices and our values. I was glad to have the chance to speak with him today and to congratulate him on being reunited with his wife and children.

Mr. Chen has a number of understandings with the Chinese government about his future, including the opportunity to pursue higher education in a safe environment. Making these commitments a reality is the next crucial task. The United States Government and the American people are committed to remaining engaged with Mr. Chen and his family in the days, weeks, and years ahead.
    Hillary Rodham Clinton, Secretary of State

Blackshirt
    This guys a time bomb, If you want to believe all the media stuff coming out. I want to go, I want to stay? I think IMO they did the correct thing & showed this gentleman the door. No fault of the Government but alas it will be that way before too long...

Quote Originally Posted by RussianRed View Post
    This guys a time bomb, If you want to believe all the media stuff coming out. I want to go, I want to stay? I think IMO they did the correct thing & showed this gentleman the door. No fault of the Government but alas it will be that way before too long...
    The whole thing's really kind of awkward in that it publicly pits the US vs. China on an issue that we like to say is of extreme importance to us (that being human rights), but is really third or fourth on the list behind economic and geopolitical concerns. Whether Chen planned it or not, timing his escape attempt with Clinton's trip to China created a situation where the United States can't not get involved. It now sounds like China's willing to let him out of the country just to get him out of the country.

Husker Fan

This is a chaotic situation.

Scout Team

This whole thing is odd. The only reason he wants to get to the US now is to make lots of $$$$ in interviews and and late night tv showings.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post

I don't understand your thinking 57, Economy Suxs, Homeless Vets, Vets not being able to get jobs, (IRAQI, AFGAN) now thats chaotic.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianRed View Post
    I don't understand your thinking 57, Economy Suxs, Homeless Vets, Vets not being able to get jobs, (IRAQI, AFGAN) now thats chaotic.
    slap.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

It's all a commie plot.