Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: 107 charged in $452 million Medicare fraud!

  1. #16
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,799
    Quote Originally Posted by COsker View Post
    You are right, that's good, considering they've continued to happen right under his nose.....

    If I need a hearty laugh, I go back and watch footage of his campaign rallies and the soaring promises he made in 2007-08. Funny stuff, which is also good, as living with his results is depressing.
    Who was the last President where it didn't happen right under his nose?

  2. #17
    Travel Squad
    Husker Mort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,702
    Quote Originally Posted by COsker View Post
    You are right, that's good, considering they've continued to happen right under his nose.....

    If I need a hearty laugh, I go back and watch footage of his campaign rallies and the soaring promises he made in 2007-08. Funny stuff, which is also good, as living with his results is depressing.
    ...but this administration seems to be doing something about it. Does it bother you that Obama has had more success than others in this arena?

    "It was the latest in a string of major arrests in the past two years as authorities have targeted fraud that's believed to cost the government between $60 billion and $90 billion each year. Stopping Medicare's budget from hemorrhaging that money will be key to paying for President Barack Obama's health care overhaul. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Attorney General Eric Holder partnered in 2009 to increase enforcement by allocating more money and staff and creating strike forces in fraud hot spots."


    Quote Originally Posted by MyBraska View Post
    And I am delighted that they are (though they seem to be uninterested in other prosecutions such as voter intimidation). Hope they do more.
    "OK. Appreciate the info." Bo Pelini

  3. #18
    The Walking Red
    nems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    16,568
    I guess when the level of fraud gets extraordinarily high, the feds will eventually figure it out.

    Certainly lends credence to those that are concerned the massive expansion of government health care spending that will be part of Obamacare will lead to even larger cases of abuse and fraud.

  4. #19
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,799
    Quote Originally Posted by nems View Post
    I guess when the level of fraud gets extraordinarily high, the feds will eventually figure it out.

    Certainly lends credence to those that are concerned the massive expansion of government health care spending that will be part of Obamacare will lead to even larger cases of abuse and fraud.
    You seem to be implying you'd wish the administration had not even bothered.

  5. #20
    The Walking Red
    nems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    16,568
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    You seem to be implying you'd wish the administration had not even bothered.
    I wish it wasn't that easy to pull off. But I'm realistic enough to understand it's incredibly expensive for the government to do better ...

    I extrapolate that over a larger multiple of spending ... and I cringe.

    That's all.

  6. #21

    107 charged in $452 million Medicare fraud!

    Are seniors ready to give up medicare?

  7. #22
    The Walking Red
    nems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    16,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    Are seniors ready to give up medicare?
    That would be incredibly unfair. If we were to change it, clearly it's something that should be a slow transition. Cut off dates, give people the option to change, but not a mandate.

  8. #23
    Guest
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    ...but this administration seems to be doing something about it. Does it bother you that Obama has had more success than others in this arena?

    "It was the latest in a string of major arrests in the past two years as authorities have targeted fraud that's believed to cost the government between $60 billion and $90 billion each year. Stopping Medicare's budget from hemorrhaging that money will be key to paying for President Barack Obama's health care overhaul. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Attorney General Eric Holder partnered in 2009 to increase enforcement by allocating more money and staff and creating strike forces in fraud hot spots."




    Bother me? No, not at all. I said it was a good thing.

    But I figure any administration that can spend like this one (and we'll have to wait for another to break Obama's record) has to try quite a bit harder and do it that much better to begin to scratch the surface of 'return on investment'.

  9. #24
    Travel Squad
    Husker Mort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,702
    Quote Originally Posted by nems View Post
    I guess when the level of fraud gets extraordinarily high, the feds will eventually figure it out.

    Certainly lends credence to those that are concerned the massive expansion of government health care spending that will be part of Obamacare will lead to even larger cases of abuse and fraud.
    Quote Originally Posted by COsker View Post
    Bother me? No, not at all. I said it was a good thing.

    But I figure any administration that can spend like this one (and we'll have to wait for another to break Obama's record) has to try quite a bit harder and do it that much better to begin to scratch the surface of 'return on investment'.
    Your distaste for the holder of the office is coloring your objective reality.
    "OK. Appreciate the info." Bo Pelini

  10. #25

    107 charged in $452 million Medicare fraud!

    Sometimes objective and reality should not be used in the same sentence.

  11. #26
    The Walking Red
    nems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    16,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    Your distaste for the holder of the office is coloring your objective reality.
    My fears of excessive fraud and abuse aren't related to a person or party, they're related to the institution.

  12. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by nems View Post
    My fears of excessive fraud and abuse aren't related to a person or party, they're related to the institution.
    Agree. I think he was referring to someone else.

    I don't think seniors want their medicare to change at all.

  13. #28
    The Walking Red
    nems's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    16,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    Agree. I think he was referring to someone else.

    I don't think seniors want their medicare to change at all.
    It is understandable that someone that enjoys what they have today would not want to be mandated to change. Especially if they paid into the system and expected to receive what they were offered.

    That being said, some might be interested in the option to change to a different system. Those that are are enough away from retirement can have time to adjust, and if done properly, the new system can be put in place over time and based on the requirement that it actually work.







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •