Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Pastor Sean Harris Tells Congregation to Punch Their Gay Sons

Hybrid View

Husker Fan

Pastor Sean Harris Tells Congregation to Punch Their Gay Sons

Husker Fan

http://pastorseansblog.blogspot.com/...o-sundays.html

Pastor's response:

Dear Berean Family,

By now you may know that my words, from Sunday morning's sermon, about effeminate behavior in children are being completely taken out of context by those in the LGBT community. (Nearly every article is misquoting me.)

Clearly, I would like to have been more careful with exactly what I said, but sometimes I say things without enough clarity. I trust you understood my intent in the context of my total preaching ministry. If you did not, I would be more than happy to meet with you privately to provide clarity. Just reply to this email. I provided clarity to the Fayetteville Observer today, but I cannot be sure they will accurately report my words.

more at link.

Yeah, I think the audio gives you all the context you need.

All Legend

Misquoted, huh?
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Wow.

I am willing to accept that he didn't mean that parents should be physically violent toward their children if they don't display what the parents think are appropriate gender identity, which is what the gist of most of the articles I've seen have been.

Even if I were to set that aside, what he said was awful. Playing into stereotypes, using hateful language and advocating forcing kids into roles of men are strong, women are pretty...ugh. Unless what was in the video was a VERY extended out of context example of what NOT to do. That's the only way this is remotely close to defensible.

Hate the sin, love the sinner? Not in this clip. Ugh.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    Wow.

I am willing to accept that he didn't mean that parents should be physically violent toward their children if they don't display what the parents think are appropriate gender identity, which is what the gist of most of the articles I've seen have been.

Even if I were to set that aside, what he said was awful. Playing into stereotypes, using hateful language and advocating forcing kids into roles of men are strong, women are pretty...ugh. Unless what was in the video was a VERY extended out of context example of what NOT to do. That's the only way this is remotely close to defensible.

Admit it, all that Pops peace and love claptrap aside, this is what you really said last Sunday--parents of Lincoln, NE, punch your gay sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Admit it, all that Pops peace and love claptrap aside, this is what you really said last Sunday--parents of Lincoln, NE, punch your gay sons.
    Busted.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    Wow.

Pastor Sean's speech reminded me of Michael Savage's rant on autistic kids. Apparently, beating your kids up, berating them, and telling them to act like sissies is a cure-all for all kinds of problems.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Husker Fan

violence is not the answer.

Wow, how incredibly sad...there are kids who will suffer that kind of treatment at the hands of parents. How confusing and terrifying it must be for a child to feel that kind of anger from a parent. As Luth said, even if you feel strongly against the behavior, hate the sin not the sinner.

If I find out my son at age 18 is out having premarital sex...a sin, would this pastor advocate for beating the heck out him?

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    Wow, how incredibly sad...there are kids who will suffer that kind of treatment at the hands of parents. How confusing and terrifying it must be for a child to feel that kind of anger from a parent. As Luth said, even if you feel strongly against the behavior, hate the sin not the sinner.

If I find out my son at age 18 is out having premarital sex...a sin, would this pastor advocate for beating the heck out him?
    I'll bet the girl's dad would support you on that one...
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dead Redemption View Post
    [/B]I'll bet the girl's dad would support you on that one...
    Who said it was with a girl?!

God of Huskermax

What a disgusting display of ignorance.

All Big 10
    Does this guy preach at Westboro by any chance?
    You never stand so tall as when you kneel to help a child.

Heisman

Quite disgusting, whether he claims he was advocating actual physical violence or not.

Head Lackey
    Seems reasonable, doesn't everyone slap their TV when it's not working right?

That's what we are taught at the First United Church of Fonz.

Everyone please rise...
    now sit on it.

Let us Ayyyyyy.
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.