Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Paul Ryan makes it on 2 Colbert Report segments in 1 night

Husker Fan

All Big 10
    The Catholic Bishops make a wonderful case for charity to help the poor, if you are a believer. What if you aren't a believer?

And for believers, what is the case for using government spending instead of private charity for this purpose?
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

All Big 10
    After watching the second interview with Father Reese from Georgetown, who wrote the letter to Ryan critical of his respect for Ayn Rand (and the budget cuts), I'm even more perplexed. When Colbert reasonably points out that while it isn't in the Bible that Jesus called on government to redistribute wealth, Pope Benedict DID say that one of the roles of government is to redistribute wealth. While I can understand a Catholic perhaps being in favor of using government to redistribute wealth because he has been told by his hierarchical church that he should, why would this have any influence on non-Catholic Christians, or those who follow other faiths or are non-believers.
    "It doesn't matter where you start or how people perceive you now or what your potential is. ... It's going to be how this football team comes together and meets the challenges ... I like our potential, but there's a lot of teams that like their potential. It's going to be how we put things together, how we grow and how we come together as a team. It's not going to be the best collection of talent, it's going to be the best team. ...." - Bo Pelini, Big 10 Media Days, 2014

All Big 10
    Ok. Let me offer another starting point for discussion. If Christianity DOES call for government spending for the poor, and if it IS a concern for non-believers or other those of other faiths what Catholic theology says (or even if we pretend for the sake of argument that we are all Catholics), what is the theological foundation for HOW MUCH aid should be given to the poor? How should Paul Ryan's proposals be judged? If you say, these cuts are bad because Jesus said so, does that mean that you can never cut? Is some cut ok, say 2%, but some not, like 10% or 50%.

Indeed, if Jesus's statements are useful in examining something as specific as a federal budget, shouldn't we encourage every rich person to give ALL their money to charity or the government? That seems to fit the calling of Christ the best. What would be the effect if they all did that?