Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Brown issue/discussion wonderfully articulated...

Cake or Death?
    Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    I just gave you evidence of a move towards secular acceptance of pedophilia...by showing academic research that classifies it along with heterosexuality and homosexuality as a "sexual orientation" and research that shows pedophilia may be beneficial to kids who later grow up to identify as gay or bisexual. I think those contentions both have, at least, concerning implications.
    No you didn't, you linked a study of the effect of molestion on young gay people. I think you're inserting your own agenda here. While that article may come to some conclusions that sexual molestation of a gay youth may not be as harmful as one would think, I don't see where it comes to the conclusion that this behavior should be allowed and would benefit society and young people. In short, a study of effects is just that.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    You are arguing that it should be acceptable to discriminate against gays. You are arguing that it should be perfectly legal for an employer to walk into an employee's office and say "I just found out you're gay. You're fired." I personally find that kind of behavior of an employer to be repugnant. I think employees should be judged by the quality of their work, and not by what they do in the privacy of their own bedroom. It is a legitmate question for CM or anyone else to ask you, why do you feel otherwise. Why are you in favor of allowing discrimination against gay people?
    I did not say it's ACCEPTABLE to discriminate against gays. I just do not believe it should be put into a law. Too much Govt interference. In response to your question on whether he's fired or not... It doesn't matter. I think an EMPLOYER who runs his own business should be able to fire anyone he wants to for any reason. Its HIS business. Not the governments. People get fired every day for things much less than being gay.

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    How far can religious discrimination go? No gays...no blacks...no women....no jews....no muslims....no atheists....no christians.....no cripples....? Where would you draw the line and why would you allow one segment of society to discriminate without providing the same opportunity to discriminate to all the other classes?
    We discriminate on myriad of criteria on a daily basis. That's not the point. Unlike the examples you used it is a centuries held religious observance, of a faith that is the predominant on the planet, that is based on a very specific behavior that is seen as sinful.

Also, I do believe, for instance, that a Muslim organization should not be forced by a judge to hire Christians, Atheists, or Jews if it means contradicting their religious practice.

Quote Originally Posted by hskrdavey View Post
    I did not say it's ACCEPTABLE to discriminate against gays. I just do not believe it should be put into a law. Too much Govt interference. In response to your question on whether he's fired or not... It doesn't matter. I think and EMPLOYER who runs his own business should be able to fire anyone he wants to for any reason. Its HIS business. Not the governments. People get fired every day for things much less than being gay.
    You're contradicting yourself.

Cake or Death?
    I did not say it's ACCEPTABLE to discriminate against gays. I just do not believe it should be put into a law. Too much Govt interference. In response to your question on whether he's fired or not... It doesn't matter. I think and EMPLOYER who runs his own business should be able to fire anyone he wants to for any reason. Its HIS business. Not the governments. People get fired every day for things much less than being gay.

Wow! Just wow. So I live in TX, do you think it would be OK for employers here to discrimintate against me becasue I am from Nebraska? Jay, just found out you're from Nebraska, you're fired.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    You're contradicting yourself.
    Some of the arguments in this thread are not necessarily built upon bedrocks of consistency.

God of Huskermax

Thank you.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    Wow! Just wow. So I live in TX, do you think it would be OK for employers here to discrimintate against me becasue I am from Nebraska? Jay, just found out you're from Nebraska, you're fired.
    I am on your side in this argument, TI, but if you don't have an employment agreement that specifically provides the terms and conditions under which you can be fired, then your employment is "at will" and you probably can be fired with or without cause and with or without notice. Only if you were a member of one of the protected classes and only if you could establish your being one of the protected classes was the reason for your firing, would your firing be actionable.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

God of Huskermax

I did not say it's ACCEPTABLE to discriminate against gays. I just do not believe it should be put into a law. Too much Govt interference. In response to your question on whether he's fired or not... It doesn't matter. I think an EMPLOYER who runs his own business should be able to fire anyone he wants to for any reason. Its HIS business. Not the governments. People get fired every day for things much less than being gay.
    And you think that's the right path to go down? A segmented society where Christians can be denied jobs based on religion? Where whites only can be a company policy? Are you kidding?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    In some small business's... yep. That's what At-Will doctrine is all about. I just don't think "sexual orientation" should be included in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. A great example was SealBeaches Muslim employer example.

God of Huskermax

We discriminate on myriad of criteria on a daily basis. That's not the point. Unlike the examples you used it is a centuries held religious observance, of a faith that is the predominant on the planet, that is based on a very specific behavior that is seen as sinful.

Also, I do believe, for instance, that a Muslim organization should not be forced by a judge to hire Christians, Atheists, or Jews if it means contradicting their religious practice.
    So it's just a special privilege for the religious folk then? Can atheists discriminate too? And lets not forget that for centuries Muslims have forbidden women to work. Are you saying you'd be ok with that? Or how about the centuries old religious traditions of slavery?

I honestly get the feeling more than a few Christians in America would prefer to be more like Iran. A true theocracy.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Some of the arguments in this thread are not necessarily built upon bedrocks of consistency.
    Or logic.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    I honestly get the feeling more than a few Christians in America would prefer to be more like Iran. A true theocracy.
    If that means we get more Iranian women over here, I'm for it... but not the theocracy part.

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    The problem is "bedrock of consistency" is too often equated to, "I'm right so you're argument makes no sense."

God of Huskermax

And lets keep in mind we aren't talking about a Muslim Mosque or anything like that. What Davey is saying is that a guy who owns a Restaurant and is a Muslim should be able to discriminate against anything his religion says it's ok to discriminate against. Blacks, women, gays, atheists, jews....any and all of those as long as his religion says it's ok.