Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Ron Brown issue/discussion wonderfully articulated...

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    guys if you're gonna mock me, at least mock me correctly.

it's DAMN COMMON SENSE.
    agree to disagree
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Recruit
    Enough, Ron Brown has his priorities and Nebraska Football is about third. He wants to be fired for his homosexual beliefs and will keep this issue in the forefront.
    TO, give him what he wants and lets move on, this issue has no purpose in Nebraska Football. Ron can have his own Church platform to preach from!

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Wolf View Post
    Enough, Ron Brown has his priorities and Nebraska Football is about third. He wants to be fired for his homosexual beliefs and will keep this issue in the forefront.
    TO, give him what he wants and lets move on, this issue has no purpose in Nebraska Football. Ron can have his own Church platform to preach from!
    I agree that this is what Brown wants to accomplish. sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Wolf View Post
    I agree that this is what Brown wants to accomplish. sad.
    You're both nuts.

Heisman

brown ain't testifying before the lincoln council this time around....

http://huskerextra.com/sports/husker...3aee4ef37.html

All Legend
    brown ain't testifying before the lincoln council this time around....

http://huskerextra.com/sports/husker...3aee4ef37.html

That's a good letter. He said what I hoped to be true, and I believe him.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

"but I won't embrace a legal policy that supports a lifestyle that God calls sin."

He doesn't get it. The policy doesn't support any lifestyle, it prohibits discrimination. He's inconsistent...and wrong. Substitute sexual orientation with religious belief and it is the same thing, only RB has a different stance. I suspect that RB believes that worshiping a different god is a sin. Ergo, if he supports policies that prohibit firing based on religious discrimination, he is supporting policies that address lifestyles God calls a sin.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by BasilLongfellow View Post
    "but I won't embrace a legal policy that supports a lifestyle that God calls sin."

He doesn't get it. The policy doesn't support any lifestyle, it prohibits discrimination. He's inconsistent...and wrong. Substitute sexual orientation with religious belief and it is the same thing, only RB has a different stance. I suspect that RB believes that worshiping a different god is a sin. Ergo, if he supports policies that prohibit firing based on religious discrimination, he is supporting policies that address lifestyles God calls a sin.
    He needs to keep his mouth shut.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    He needs to keep his mouth shut.
    and just coach. simple.

Travel Squad
    ...looks like 2012 isn't the year that Coach Brown becomes a self-anointed martyr. The "letter to fans" was spot-on and I'm glad that calmer heads prevailed on this one.

The University must allow faculty whom are speaking on their own behalf to voice perspectives of all kinds, but Coach Brown was putting the University in a terrible position. It is obvious that he is a good coach and many players love him -- glad to see him sticking around.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

All Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BasilLongfellow View Post

This was exactly the point that I was about to make.

Well said.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Heisman

already hit the national media newsfeeds....ESPN is reporting on it...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...nti-gay-stance

me thinks, some higher ups/administration had a talk with Brown to tell him to TONE IT DOWN.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by hskrdavey View Post
    So if child molesters (a group of people with a sexual preference) are found to be "born with" that preference.....which some say they "are" born with it and cant "help" it.......they should not be discriminated against?

yes but not all act on that preference as they know its a horrible crime against the children of our society.
    The ICD defines it as a disorder of adult personality and behavior.

The act itself should be discriminated against as it could/would affect a child and cause sever trama.

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

pray for me ;)
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Mehh, all the Brown critics are wasting their breath. He has every right to hold the position he does, and seems to be saying what a lot of folks on here said. As an organization he absolutely supports the University's non-discrimination policy, and hasn't forced his religious belief onto his coached players. He simply does not want conditions where those that believe that behavior is a sin to have to support or accommodate. Besides, he has strong support from the U, the AD and the head coach for expressing his personal opinions.

And, point out all the anecdotal evidence of your personal lives you want, but sociologically speaking sports in general attract conservatives, players themselves lean even further right, and of the team sports football is the MOST conservative. So, a single coach's personal position won't hurt all that much; in-fact, many will couple this with his Penn State prayer and appreciate him for his conviction.

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by SealBeachHusker View Post
    Mehh, all the Brown critics are wasting their breath. He has every right to hold the position he does, and seems to be saying what a lot of folks on here said. As an organization he absolutely supports the University's non-discrimination policy, and hasn't forced his religious belief onto his coached players. He simply does not want conditions where those that believe that behavior is a sin to have to support or accommodate. Besides, he has strong support from the U, the AD and the head coach for expressing his personal opinions.

And, point out all the anecdotal evidence of your personal lives you want, but sociologically speaking sports in general attract conservatives, players themselves lean even further right, and of the team sports football is the MOST conservative. So, a single coach's personal position won't hurt all that much; in-fact, many will couple this with his Penn State prayer and appreciate him for his conviction.
    That is entertaining, Seal. Care to share your sociology credentials while I introduce you to women's athletics...
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

1. I think we all agree that RB has the right to speak about anything he wants.
    2. I'm curious about this take you have:

"As an organization he absolutely supports the University's non-discrimination policy, and hasn't forced his religious belief onto his coached players"

Compared to his letter:

"[B]ut I won't embrace a legal policy that supports a lifestyle that God calls sin."

IIRC, the University has a non-discrimination policy based on sexual orientation. Perhaps he won't embrace a government that has such a policy, but he will take a pay check from an organization that does? Every time he addresses this topic, he is coming off increasingly hypocritical.

3. As is his right to voice his belief, it is likewise his critic's rights to respond to his statements.
    4. I don't understand the comparison you've made regarding conservatives in your second paragraph. This is the OPPOSITE of his conduct at Penn State. That conduct was unifying; this clearly divides.

All Legend

Mehh, all the Brown critics are wasting their breath. He has every right to hold the position he does, and seems to be saying what a lot of folks on here said. As an organization he absolutely supports the University's non-discrimination policy, and hasn't forced his religious belief onto his coached players. He simply does not want conditions where those that believe that behavior is a sin to have to support or accommodate.
    Requiring someone doesn't discriminate = support and accommodate? Really?

And what do you make of the 1st amendment argument? Worshiping "false gods" is a sin. Does that mean preventing discrimination based on religion is accommodating and supporting a sin?

Besides, he has strong support from the U, the AD and the head coach for expressing his personal opinions.
    I like Ron Brown a lot as a football coach, and I don't think he should be fired for having a very wrong opinion.

And, point out all the anecdotal evidence of your personal lives you want, but sociologically speaking sports in general attract conservatives, players themselves lean even further right, and of the team sports football is the MOST conservative.
    Say what? I'd love to see your "sociological" data to support those claims.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Husker Fan

already hit the national media newsfeeds....ESPN is reporting on it...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...nti-gay-stance

me thinks, some higher ups/administration had a talk with Brown to tell him to TONE IT DOWN.

Comments from the article.
    sec-football

on the bright side of things. this is the most post's on a nebraska football story in a long time. ha ha ha...more
    3 fans li

frohberg

We as B1G fans are beginning to regret our invitation to Nebraska. Maybe we should give them back to the B12. They aren't relevant nationally anymore in football and obviously employ crazies....more

User ID:http://sportsnation.espn.go.com/fans/frohberg

1 Minute Ago

Husker Fan

Please Ron....SHUT UP. Do NOT call ESPN, CNNSI or any other media outlets back when they call you. Outside of local media outlets NOBODY wants to talk to you about football. THey just want you to continue to embarrass the university and you keep obliging.

Either coach football or go beat your bible. You may have the RIGHT to do both but you are becoming a problem for the university. I suppose you'd love to martyr yourself for the cause but think about something other than the cause for once.