Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Presidential Address from Afghanistan

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post

Take out the bases in Iraq and Afghanistan and I think we have quite a few left in the region.
    Conversely, take out the bases in Afghanistan and Iraq, and you have a very different chart.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    I was surprised this morning to not see any discussion of last night's address from Bagram Air Base about the long-term strategy to extract our troops from Afghanistan. I'm sure that anything the President says will be reviled by many on these boards, but it seemed to be an extremely centrist proposal.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and...ar-afghanistan
    I see this as very similar to Bush's "Mission Accomplished" photo op, for which he was vilified by the left.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    I see this as very similar to Bush's "Mission Accomplished" photo op, for which he was vilified by the left.
    I sure hope you can see what happened between the 2 situations. If you can't see the difference, oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    I sure hope you can see what happened between the 2 situations. If you can't see the difference, oh boy.
    Doesn't matter. Both were meaningless PR stunts.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    Doesn't matter. Both were meaningless PR stunts.
    really? in this trip to afghanistan, an agreement was signed for bilateral cooperation..what agreement was signed on USS Abraham Lincoln????

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    So is it our job to set their houses in order when our own is dysfunctional?

Our direct incursions into the middle east have brought us 30+ years of trouble, and two costly wars.

It's not an area we belong in, any more than we should have remained in SE Asia.

Time to get out, for good. And the fastest way out is energy independence (domestic production is at an all time high, and green initiatives abound, so we're on the right track).
    Ok, ok. Take a deep breath. I thought it was an interesting read. Personally, I would love it if we pulled out of the middle east and let them fend for themselves but, I don't think that's realistic for a myriad of reasons.

In addition. If you read the article you could take away that perhaps we shouldn't meddle in other countries like we've done in the past.

The Walking Red
    really? in this trip to afghanistan, an agreement was signed for bilateral cooperation through 2024...what agreement was signed on USS Abraham Lincoln????
    A bilateral cooperation agreement through 2024, huh?

really? in this trip to afghanistan, an agreement was signed for bilateral cooperation through 2024...what agreement was signed on USS Abraham Lincoln????
    that agreement is not worth the paper it's written on. 100% PR.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by nems View Post
    my bad, i read the information wrong, it's just a bilateral cooperation agreement once we withdraw in 2014...

The remarks came just hours after he and Afghan President Hamid Karzai put their signatures to a far-reaching pact that will govern U.S. support for Afghanistan after U.S. combat forces are gone at the end of 2014.The nine-page pact comprises a preamble and seven provisions covering all facets of the future relationship, from a U.S. vow to help defend Afghanistan against al-Qaeda and other threats, to Kabul's commitment to "inclusive and pluralistic democratic governance, including free, fair and transparent elections."

The Walking Red
    my bad, i read the information wrong, it's just a bilateral cooperation agreement once we withdraw in 2014...

The remarks came just hours after he and Afghan President Hamid Karzai put their signatures to a far-reaching pact that will govern U.S. support for Afghanistan after U.S. combat forces are gone at the end of 2014.The nine-page pact comprises a preamble and seven provisions covering all facets of the future relationship, from a U.S. vow to help defend Afghanistan against al-Qaeda and other threats, to Kabul's commitment to "inclusive and pluralistic democratic governance, including free, fair and transparent elections."
    Well then. Mission accomplished!

Husker Fan

Well then. Mission accomplished!
    nope. not even close, but it's a step in the right direction.

What's different from the current arrangement?

Quote Originally Posted by HuZkurZ View Post
    Ok, ok. Take a deep breath. I thought it was an interesting read. Personally, I would love it if we pulled out of the middle east and let them fend for themselves but, I don't think that's realistic for a myriad of reasons.
    Um, I am breathing and not upset in the least.

No it's not realistic to assume we'll leave the mideast, and as long as we need oil (which we will for a long time), we've got interests there.

But, the strategy of direct intervention is costly and ripe for failure.

slam.jpg

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HuZkurZ View Post
    uncalled for. I admit a mistake and noted as such. I can't say the same about you.