Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Presidential Address from Afghanistan

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    Um, I am breathing and not upset in the least.

No it's not realistic to assume we'll leave the mideast, and as long as we need oil (which we will for a long time), we've got interests there.

But, the strategy of direct intervention is costly and ripe for failure.
    ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

Junior Varsity
    Lol. I just admitted one on obama saves billions, 57.

slap.jpg

EDIT: Thanks for removal of calling me a nitwit, I don't think any of the mods saw it. You can thank me for not replying to your quote, which would have preserved it.
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

Travel Squad
    hrkrz (and 57 to a lesser extant),
    Since I started the thread I know that nobody is keeping score and it is not a bout, so the punching references are, as usual, unnecessary. Let's try to stay on topic, please, as there was some good conversation going before you brought your issues in.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    hrkrz (and 57 to a lesser extant),
    Since I started the thread I know that nobody is keeping score and it is not a bout, so the punching references are, as usual, unnecessary. Let's try to stay on topic, please, as there was some good conversation going before you brought your issues in.
    Of course, 57 to a lesser extent* because personal attacks aren't nearly as heinous as a punching photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    uncalled for. I admit a mistake and noted as such.
    Truth.

Administrator

Presidential Address from Afghanistan

It is interesting that the president is all secret about his trip but tells the talaban when we are pulling our troops out.

So far the public time line is my big criticism of this president on the war on terror. I don't think the Bush plan had a permanent base either.

I am one to agree with chi, we need a base in both countries. Put it out in the middle of know were with a mile of sand around it and you will see them coming. You want a base there so they will spend there resources fighting it instead of planning attack on the us.

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Setting aside the issues of what was said in the speech...I read a reporter's "behind the scenes" account of going there and getting out, and it was really cool. Reminded me a lot of a similar behind the scenes documentary I think that was on the History Channel? a couple of years ago showing a Bush visit to Iraq. No matter who the president is, what it takes to pull off this kind of visit in a dangerous part of the world is just amazing.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by nems View Post
    Is it fair to say that during Obama's term, we made zero progress in Afghanistan?

Sure seems so.

the great or even the better military minds than yours would disagree

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    It is interesting that the president is all secret about his trip but tells the talaban when we are pulling our troops out.

So far the public time line is my big criticism of this president on the war on terror. I don't think the Bush plan had a permanent base either.

I am one to agree with chi, we need a base in both countries. Put it out in the middle of know were with a mile of sand around it and you will see them coming. You want a base there so they will spend there resources fighting it instead of planning attack on the us.

I'm glad the military minds are getting together on this...could you all explain to us dummies why a base would be good?

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    I'm glad the military minds are getting together on this...could you all explain to us dummies why a base would be good?
    ...guess not. It seems like everything goes quiet when the President comes out with an obviously centrist proposal.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

The Walking Red
    the great or even the better military minds than yours would disagree
    How so? Who are these military minds that think we have made progress in Afghanistan during the last 4 years?

Casualties aren't going down. The Taliban is about the same. The flow of arms and people from Pakistan is the same.

But what measure have things improved?

Heisman

...guess not. It seems like everything goes quiet when the President comes out with an obviously centrist proposal.
    Or maybe its because Pops asked the question at 10PM last night, and the other participants weren't sitting at their computers hanging on every Cafe post? I know I surely wasn't.

Or maybe its because Chi had already answered the question quite eloquently hours before Pops asked it. Here, let me repeat it for you both:

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    I didn't comment on it because I don't think there was anything new or groundbreaking in the speech. I know my friends on the left will disagree, but I am disappointed that by 2015, we will not have any permanent bases in either Iraq or Afghanistan. Both countries are strategically important, and the presence of a base or two in either country could help establish a long-term strategic deterrent against future terrorist movements taking hold in either country. The OBL archives that will be released tomorrow will show that OBL was actively planning for AQ to return to Afghanistan just as soon as the US military was gone from the country.

FWIW, I am not proposing that we continued operations in either country -- just that we have a base there. Given that we liberated both countries from two of the most notorious regimes on the planet, I think we are entitled to a presence in both countries as a strategic deterrent. It would have been especially important in Iraq given the risks of that country becoming an Iranian client state, if it hasn't already.
    You can agree or disagree with what he said, but you can't say that no one is willing to answer the question, which was already answered in the thread earlier.

And, according to the policy analysts this was not a "centrist proposal" because it wasn't a proposal at all. No new policies were announced, no new proposals made. It was a campaign stump speech, done at "dark-thirty" in the wee hours of the morning in Afghanistan, so not for the benefit of the Afghanistan people OR our soldiers who were mostly sleeping, I'm sure. It was done purely so that the cameras could be rolling during primetime in US time zones to broadcast the campaign speech.

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    Or maybe its because Pops asked the question at 10PM last night, and the other participants weren't sitting at their computers hanging on every Cafe post? I know I surely wasn't.

Or maybe its because Chi had already answered the question quite eloquently hours before Pops asked it. Here, let me repeat it for you both:

You can agree or disagree with what he said, but you can't say that no one is willing to answer the question, which was already answered in the thread earlier.

And, according to the policy analysts this was not a "centrist proposal" because it wasn't a proposal at all. No new policies were announced, no new proposals made. It was a campaign stump speech, done at "dark-thirty" in the wee hours of the morning in Afghanistan, so not for the benefit of the Afghanistan people OR our soldiers who were mostly sleeping, I'm sure. It was done purely so that the cameras could be rolling during primetime in US time zones to broadcast the campaign speech.
    Sigh. It was only an accord to define the relationship (with a nation that has had, at best, a shaky history of rooting out terrorists within its own borders) and strategy for ending a major military conflict on the anniversary of the death of public enemy #1. Yeah, nothing worth putting any thought into there. Does it have a political upside? Sure. Was it more than a "stump speech"? It certainly was.

Heisman

Sigh. It was only an accord to define the relationship (with a nation that has had, at best, a shaky history of rooting out terrorists within its own borders) and strategy for ending a major military conflict on the anniversary of the death of public enemy #1. Yeah, nothing worth putting any thought into there. Does it have a political upside? Sure. Was it more than a "stump speech"? It certainly was.
    You're certainly entitled to your opinions - on whether it was more than a "stump speech." I've previously noted that even such media outlets as that conservative mouthpiece the New York Times seem to disagree with you - noting that (contrary to your statement) there were no new policies or strategies announced, and the "accord" was a general document with almost no specifics whatsoever - just a "we'll support you, promise." The NYT also points out (where I got the info) that the speech was given in the middle of the night in Afghanistan, when most countrymen AND most of our service men and women there were asleep - but it DID happen to be "primetime" in the US, to make sure that stump speech was heard in the US.

If it was such an important policy speech, it would have been in the news, and analysts and politicians on both sides would have been talking and debating it in the press. As it is, the story came and disappeared in a few hours from virtually all the media - just like all the other campaign stump speeches.

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    You're certainly entitled to your opinions - on whether it was more than a "stump speech." I've previously noted that even such media outlets as that conservative mouthpiece the New York Times seem to disagree with you - noting that (contrary to your statement) there were no new policies or strategies announced, and the "accord" was a general document with almost no specifics whatsoever - just a "we'll support you, promise." The NYT also points out (where I got the info) that the speech was given in the middle of the night in Afghanistan, when most countrymen AND most of our service men and women there were asleep - but it DID happen to be "primetime" in the US, to make sure that stump speech was heard in the US.

If it was such an important policy speech, it would have been in the news, and analysts and politicians on both sides would have been talking and debating it in the press. As it is, the story came and disappeared in a few hours from virtually all the media - just like all the other campaign stump speeches.
    ...so now you rely on the "lamestream media" to tell you what is/is not news? Good to know that the Times is a conservative rag, though.