Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there anyone here that doesnt want Playoff games to be played on Campus?

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I know it would require two fan bases to make two expensive trips, but I suspect there will be enough excitement among both groups to fill the seats.
    I still hope they can make home sites work. But if there are neutral sites, I would think selling out would not be too much of a problem. I think a national semi-final game in college football would sell very well among the locals at the neutral site. Certainly much better than bowl games currently sell among locals. The playoff games will be much more meaningful, plus if the site rotates, it won't be an every year thing for the locals. I know I would go to see such a game if it were held within reasonable driving distance from my home. College football live is my favorite sports activity, behind only Stanley Cup finals games.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I think Cardinal is on the right track here in that there are many difficulties with having a home site playoff game, however, it can be overcome. And it certainly should mean that the visiting team gets only the usual allotment for visitors.

How about the two semi-final games being pr-planned and played at a site that is neither in the deep south or cold north such as Salt Lake City or Memphis or Washington, DC. The weather could be a bit uncomfortable, but probably not extremely so. Maybe even a dome could be used, such as in St Louis or Indianapolis. It would most likely require travel by both fan bases and could result in an even split of tickets, plus have plenty of planning in advance made.
    The Championship game could be rotated to the usual warm weather sites.

I know it would require two fan bases to make two expensive trips, but I suspect there will be enough excitement among both groups to fill the seats.
    I thought about that yesterday, also. I think going the pre-determinted neutral site route would work better with an 8-team playoff. That way you'd have four sites set up regionally for the first round. With a 4-team playoff you could get both fan bases travelling half-way across the country to see the semi's. That's just me, though.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    I thought about that yesterday, also. I think going the pre-determinted neutral site route would work better with an 8-team playoff. That way you'd have four sites set up regionally for the first round. With a 4-team playoff you could get both fan bases travelling half-way across the country to see the semi's. That's just me, though.
    Regionals would be tough. What if the top two seeds were in the same region? The number two seed would have to get shipped out into another region. Maybe the selection committee could put the top four seeds in an eight team playoff either (i) as close to home as possible, or (ii) in a region that is in any event closer to the higher seed's home than to the lower seed's home.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Regionals would be tough. What if the top two seeds were in the same region? The number two seed would have to get shipped out into another region. Maybe the selection committee could put the top four seeds in an eight team playoff either (i) as close to home as possible, or (ii) in a region that is in any event closer to the higher seed's home than to the lower seed's home.
    That's a tough one, but there's going to be holes in any scenario. It's just finding which scenario is the one that best suits the players, and the top seeded teams.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    That's a tough one, but there's going to be holes in any scenario. It's just finding which scenario is the one that best suits the players, and the top seeded teams.
    I think we agree the best scenario is home sites for the first round at a minimum (I'd like to see first and second round in an 8-team playoff be at home sites), assuming the campus administrators believe they can pull it off at less expense than the income the event will generate.

-- Samuel L. Jackson